OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 09:10

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Do you wear glasses when you play table tennis?
Yes: I couldn't see enough without them. 52%  52%  [ 15 ]
Yes: I *could* play without them, but I prefer to wear them. 14%  14%  [ 4 ]
No: I wear glasses, but don't need them to play. (Could be mild eyesight problems or just need reading glasses, etc.) 17%  17%  [ 5 ]
No: I don't wear glasses at all. 14%  14%  [ 4 ]
Sometimes: I wear glasses, and play with them on sometimes, and off sometimes. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 29
PostPosted: 26 Jan 2017, 11:05 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
After playing without glasses for several months, I now use either daily contacts (by far the best option for me at 65: everything is much clearer and the astigmatism is totally gone), or for casual playing I wear single focus lens glasses. I can't read with either, but for table tennis distances they are fine.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2017, 14:37 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I always wear glasses. I can actually see without them (since one eye is only very slightly short-sighted) but the glasses give better vision on the side that is more short-sighted. I've been told (and it was demonstrated to me) that I lost the skill of binocular depth perception because I was short sighted in one eye and didn't get glasses until I was maybe 10 or 11 (and as a result used one eye all the time). However, strangely enough, 3D movies (the kind where you wear the glasses) seem to work fine for me (I can definitely perceive the depth), so I don't know if I'm using stereo vision when playing. I do tend to hit the ball away from the center of the racket more often than other people do, it seems - the ball marks on the rubber seem to be distributed around the entire area instead of centered closely around the middle as would be ideal.

I take the glasses off (or push them up) to read - I'm old enough to need bifocals otherwise, but the short-sightedness can be a benefit in this case.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2017, 14:14 
Super User

Blade: GiantDragon Kris2
FH: DHS H3 Neo
BH: Who Knows???
I've finally gone and got my new pair of glasses (some stylish metal frames! :lol: ), and as the frames themselves are thinner and don't catch the heat as much, they don't fog up like the plastic ones did. I've not yet adjusted to playing with them on, but I do have a hit with them on sometimes, and it doesn't seem to make a difference to my game. And I finally found my prescription: -0.5 in left, and -1 in right. So it's not that bad, but it's good to be prepared.

Help me find a new blade please!

Only self-proclaimed unofficial spin doctor of OOAK. Call me Joe or musicfreak :rock:
The author of How Spin Works. The Official How Spin Works Thread. How Spin Works goes to India! See my 3D Printed/Laser Cut blade experiment blog.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2017, 17:07 
My Precious

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Joola Golden Tango
BH: Tibhar Dtecs OX
Hi "Musicfreak0" funny when I first reacted to your post I didn't wear glasses :clap: not until I had my cataracts removed & replaced with new lenses, now I have great eyesight for about the first 3ms then after that I need glasses. :@ :swear: So when I now play I must wear them all the time & getting used to doing so isn't easy but with determination & practising everyday I'm getting there quite quickly. :?: |(

See the ball, be the ball...

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2017, 13:58 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

That reminds me - I have this problem finding new glasses
Everything I see now have these newfangled narrow frames. I can't see why they're so popular, they must restrict peripheral vision. I'm used to large frames, last got some six years ago. Two sets need repair, the titanium frame I currently wear is a little bent. The only large frames I can find are those Ray-Ban aviator type frames and they do look slightly dorky. The other problem is that all the opticians are now only selling frames with big designer clothes brands (Gucci, Louis Vuitton, DNKY, FCUK and so on) and are therefore charging four to five times what they were charging for frames five years ago. I made the discovery, however, that you can order frames off Aliexpress, but I wonder if opticians would actually allow you to bring frames from elsewhere (kinda like those "no outside food" signs you see at food stalls.. :lol: ).

Iskandar

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2017, 04:41 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
You can certainly have new lenses put in existing frames in the UK opticians, so presumably you could take in any frames. The catch is that they charge pretty much the same, at least if we're talking about non-designer stuff.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 10:24 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

The problem is the old frames aren't in good shape. The lenses are more or less fine. The steel frames need welding or soldering. I do know this can be done (I've had it done in the past), but I'd still like another set of titanium frames. I think I'll go ahead and order a set from AliExpress and see what happens.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 14:39 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Gollum,
When you had your eyes done, did they explain they could give you lenses good for distance "or" lenses good for close up?

I had cataract surgery on both eyes recently. I chose the distance lenses. I now have 20/20 vision from about 3 feet to infinity with no glasses. I need reading glasses for close up.

If they did not explain that you had a choice, I would demand free surgery for lens changes so you don't need glasses except for reading.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2017, 05:02 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I suppose he could have gotten the "near" lens for one eye and the "far" lens for the other.. :lol: Then he'd end up like me, no real need for glasses except for when you need to use both eyes (as in table tennis, and perhaps for driving).

Iskandar

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2017, 20:31 
My Precious

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Joola Golden Tango
BH: Tibhar Dtecs OX
hookshot wrote:
Gollum,
When you had your eyes done, did they explain they could give you lenses good for distance "or" lenses good for close up?

I had cataract surgery on both eyes recently. I chose the distance lenses. I now have 20/20 vision from about 3 feet to infinity with no glasses. I need reading glasses for close up.

If they did not explain that you had a choice, I would demand free surgery for lens changes so you don't need glasses except for reading.

No she didn't, she previously had done my wife's eyes & did a great job, she doesn't need glasses. I have a further appointment with her next month where I will wont answers :n: :headbang:

See the ball, be the ball...

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2017, 02:24 

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
When they put new lenses in, you can no longer change focus. It is fixed. That's why they let you choose near or far vision. The only reason to choose near vision would be for an artist or someone whos main concern would be close vision. Almost ALL choose far vision.

If they did not give you a choice, I would DEMAND a FREE change to far vision lenses. If not, I would sue them.
It is the most important question they should have asked. I received a booklet explaining this choice before the surgery and they also asked me several times which I wanted.

Good luck. It is so nice not to have glasses for every day life. :)

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!