OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:23

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Do you wear glasses when you play table tennis?
Yes: I couldn't see enough without them. 52%  52%  [ 15 ]
Yes: I *could* play without them, but I prefer to wear them. 14%  14%  [ 4 ]
No: I wear glasses, but don't need them to play. (Could be mild eyesight problems or just need reading glasses, etc.) 17%  17%  [ 5 ]
No: I don't wear glasses at all. 14%  14%  [ 4 ]
Sometimes: I wear glasses, and play with them on sometimes, and off sometimes. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 29
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2016, 07:00 
Super User

Blade: GiantDragon Kris2
FH: DHS H3 Neo
BH: Who Knows???
My situation: I got glasses a month or two ago. I'm slightly short-sighted, so I wear glasses to watch TV and read the board at school, etc. I also wear glasses when I play badminton, but not table tennis. Why? The main reason I wear them in badminton is the shuttle gets hard to see in the gym - white walls & light yellow shuttle. I still don't wear them when playing table tennis, though - I don't see much of an advantage, as I can see clearly enough without them to play, and that way:
a) They won't bounce around on my head (not that they do much anyway).
b) They can't fog up!
c) They can't fall off or get in the way in any other form!
I get the feeling that I should practise wearing them while playing, in case my vision ends up getting worse to the point where I need them to play - that'll make the transition a lot easier when the time comes. However, I just can't get used to playing with them on. The extra clarity, along with my three points above, just act as a distraction, which throws me comlpetely.

So,
1. Do you wear glasses when you play table tennis? Why or why not?
2. Do you have any tips regarding playing with glasses on?
3. What would you do: would you try and get used to them in case, or would you just continue playing as you did?

Hopefully the poll question raises a few interesting points. I'm not too fussed about the advice, I'll probably slowly work the glasses into my game, but I am quite interested in the other questions!

Help me find a new blade please!

Only self-proclaimed unofficial spin doctor of OOAK. Call me Joe or musicfreak :rock:
The author of How Spin Works. The Official How Spin Works Thread. How Spin Works goes to India! See my 3D Printed/Laser Cut blade experiment blog.

Last edited by Musicfreak0 on 06 Sep 2016, 09:04, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2016, 07:31 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Just make sure that when you wear them you don't make a spectacle of yourself :) :)

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2016, 10:31 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Blade: Dr Neubauer High Tec Plus
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Tibhar Hybrid K3
No option of contact lenses instead of glasses?

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2016, 13:11 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
I'm short sighted (-2.75 left and -3.50 right), which means that I either need to be wearing glasses or contact lenses to be able to see.

Generally when playing table tennis I wear contact lenses. I've always worn them on weekends and on nights I do sports, not sure why, I just do, probably stems from vanity and not wanting to accept I wear glasses.

On Mondays when I go to table tennis practice, I just wear glasses as thats what I've been wearing all day and its too much of a hassle to worry about contacts. On the odd occasion I've forgot to put in contacts on the morning of competition, I've actually had a couple of pretty good results wearing glasses. In fact I started to wonder if it were a factor. Then I noticed the same when wearing a t-shirt under my table tennis shirt on cold nights. I've had a couple of bad losses when wearing the t-shirt so now I'm not wearing one anymore but also the weather is warming up so don't need to. Both these are mild superstitions and neither I want to get bogged down with but I have wondered.

I've never had a fogging up issue or a slipping off problem with glasses. As I wear them all day most days, I don't really notice the peripheral vision seeing the frame, as I'm used to it. The same theory is behind the F1 drivers using the Halo device next year. After a while they won't even notice it.

Reality is that I don't think it makes a difference to me whether I wear glasses or contacts however if I didn't have either I would be in trouble. I suspect its just that you need to get used to it. If you glasses are slipping then perhaps get them fitted a bit tighter as it shouldn't be happening. The only time that my glasses fog up is when I open the dishwasher so I'd simply suggest don't play table tennis near dishwashers.

Being able to see clearly has got to be an advantage over not, so maybe persist a bit longer.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2016, 13:36 
I am Legend
I am Legend

I'm -2.5. Wore glasses while playing tt. Wore contacts for badminton, squash and cycling.

glasses fogging up tended to depend on the style/frame. Previously i wore smaller lenses frameless or half frame.
Only disadvantage tended to be glare from overhead lights. Usually dependent on how clean your lenses are.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2016, 17:38 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
I wear glassas all the time when not in bed. I can see rather ok without but my etes are getting worse the last years since I got progressive glasses. I use a rubber strap to keep them in place while playing TT, while running or going on a rollercaster :). No problems at all. I tried contact lenses many years ago but never got them to feel good, they were itching.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2016, 22:18 
Super User

Blade: Acoustic Carbon Inner ST
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Rakza Z
Def-attack wrote:
since I got progressive glasses.

How are the progressive lenses when playing TT? I've been thinking of switching instead of having "normal" glasses and reading glasses, but progressive lenses seemed to be hard to live with. I'm hoping someone will persuade me otherwise.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2016, 00:51 
Super User

I've worn both contacts and glasses. I'm back to glasses now.

Contacts are better for the first couple of hours, particularly because peripheral vision is clear and has no limiting frame and with contacts the ball appears its true size. If you are near sided the glasses lenses sitting slightly in front of the eye make the ball appear slightly smaller than it really is. You can illustrate this effect by taking your glasses off and still looking through them. As you move the glasses away from your eyes everything becomes smaller and smaller. With contacts the lens is as close as possible to the eye so the size distortion is as minimal as it can be.

The problem for me is that contacts shift around off center and get dusty and uncomfortable requiring drops or to be taken out and cleaned. So it's a trade off, better vision for a while, but not really long enough for a whole tournament without messing around.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2016, 01:21 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

fleetwood999 wrote:

The problem for me is that contacts shift around off center and get dusty and uncomfortable requiring drops or to be taken out and cleaned. So it's a trade off, better vision for a while, but not really long enough for a whole tournament without messing around.

even with Daily contacts? I switched to contacts when I used to play football/ soccer, as I kept having the nose pads rammed into my nose... :)
When I play at home, I wear glasses, but for tournaments/ league, always daily contacts.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2016, 01:24 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Musicfreak0 wrote:
My situation: I got glasses a month or two ago. I'm slightly short-sighted...... I don't see much of an advantage, as I can see clearly enough without them to play....

Musicfreak0 - what strength are your eyes?

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2016, 01:52 
Super User

PRW wrote:
fleetwood999 wrote:

even with Daily contacts? I switched to contacts when I used to play football/ soccer, as I kept having the nose pads rammed into my nose... :)
When I play at home, I wear glasses, but for tournaments/ league, always daily contacts.

I tried most of the variations that came out. The last ones I had were weekly ones and never were comfortable for me for more than a couple hours. Your eyes get dryer as you get older so it eventually becomes more hassle than it's worth.
I won't try them again since I use the glasses now to also protect my eye from getting hit.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2016, 02:45 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

yip, didn't like weeklies. Dailies I found much thinner and easier, didn't have to worry about keeping them clean, just toss them out every night after wearing. I agree with glasses as protection, although luckily I have never been hit (so far)

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2016, 03:20 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
I wear glasses to play. I'm short sighted and, more importantly, astigmatic. Without specs I can't see properly or judge angles and distances.

I've never tried contacts, and the idea freaks me out!

I don't have an issue with frame/peripheral sight because, as cobalt says, I'm used to it.

I do have an issue with light reflecting on the inside of the lens, especially in high summer. I just deal with it.

They very rarely jiggle or fall off - mags happened once or twice in 4 years. I might consider a band to hold them on if that were a problem.

Alcohol-based cleaning wipes make cleaning the surface very easy, and they stay clean and don't fog up.

Unless you plan to pursue the contacts or laser surgery, I would get used to playing with your glasses on. Trust me, your eyes are not going to get better. Only worse.... ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2016, 04:10 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
I wear glasses, and I could possibly play without them, but I would be at a disadvantage for sure.
The biggest obstacles for me is not the fogging, but smudging and sweat.

Oils from face, hands, whatever get on the lenses somehow and it's enough to cost me points at times.

Sweat drops also get on the lenses during play and either blind you in one eye or throws you off. If you try to wipe them with a shirt it's worse than having the large droplet(s), smearing the sweat all over the place and not clearing the lense.

Solutions:

Microfiber cloth in pocket- this is a must to truly clear the lense of both water and oils.

Headband - if you are a heavy head-sweater like me, this is essential.

Anti-smear lenses- I know they exist but I haven't tried them...so I can't speak to the effectiveness.

Contacts - I can't use them as they irritate my eyes to much. And with astigmatism, the lenses will slide or turn in the eye just enough to obscure your vision for a second. A second you dont' have in a game.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2016, 04:27 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

I think the idea of contacts freaks out most people initially. In my case, I resisted for ages, but walking off the football field with blood streaming down my nose and paying for new glasses every few weeks seemed like a greater problem. It took me about a week to get used to (with monthly contacts, that were much thicker +- 20 years ago).

I also have mild astigmatism in one eye - doesn't affect me wearing contacts. Of course , you may be different!

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!