OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:28

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2016, 21:11 

Just wondering if anyone has had this surgery and successfully got back to competitive table tennis? Had my surgery 10 months ago and still struggling.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2016, 21:52 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
What is it that the surgery is supposed to fix Red Atlas? Is it a cracked patella, or something inside the knee? I had an arthroscopy to the knee 30 years ago and they extracted a huge amount of cartilage. The arthroscope showed a snapped PCL. It was never re-constructed and left me with a very weak knee that got even weaker as I've gotten older. So now its arthritic. As a result I don't move much when I play. When I move into certain positions I often get twinges of pain and it holds me back in making that movement again during that match/night. It's well documented on the forum that I take glucosamine to help mu condition.

I'm interested to know how your condition affects your game, and what impacts it introduces to you. Playing with LP and becoming more "touch and angle strategic" has been my solution to keep me in the game. Happy to discuss here with you anything that may help.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2016, 23:55 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

Reb knows my story, but bust my knee badly many years ago playing rugby in Indonesia tearing almost all my ligaments - 3 yrs and 6 ops later i was able to walk without keeling over!

No more contact sport tho'!

22yrs later due to increasingly worse arthritis i needed a TKR and 2 yrs later a revision for a thicker spacer - now i play tt better than ever, with no pain!!!!

I hope this gives you some confidence of what can be done these days!!!

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2016, 07:33 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
I had a right patello-femoral reconstruction (open cut) after having dislocated my kneecap 3 times and fractured it once (the first dislocation), in 1982. Treatment of the combined dislocation & fracture could have been one of:
    Operation to remove the smaller part of the kneecap
    Operation to wire the kneecap together
    Put the leg in plaster from upper thigh to just above the ankle for 6 weeks

The 3rd alternative was what was done. Not rehabilitating properly (and a genetic predisposition) resulted in the 2 more dislocations.

Following the reconstruction, I was in plaster for 6 weeks. 6 months after the operation the knee would not bend past 90 degrees, so I had it bent under anaesthetic. The next year I ran the 14km City to Surf Fun Run. In rehabilitating from the operation I discovered competition table tennis and the rest as they say is history.

My daughter has also had a right patello-femoral reconstruction after having dislocated her kneecap twice, but that was at the beginning of last year. That was done with keyhole surgery and she was in an adjustable knee brace. Also she was much younger than me so her recovery was much quicker. She did the 2 bronze 2 day Duke of Edinburgh hikes last year with no ill effects.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2016, 08:05 

Wow. Ok, my knees are not quite as bad as you guys just yet. But I'm "only" 36 I guess.

Microfracture is basically where they deliberately puncture the end of the femur with several small holes, so that blood and stem cells leak into a defect in the cartilage on the end of the bone. This forms a kind of clot, initially, which is then supposed to turn in to new cartilage and plug the hole. I basically tore the cartilage on the end of my femoral condyle, which left a hole where the bone was exposed. Before this surgery, I've had two other ops to remove cartilage for torn meniscus (one on each knee).

The problem is, the new cartilage that forms is not the same as the original cartilage. It's more like a mix of cartilage and scar tissue. But it's better than nothing. Recovery can be slow and take about a year for the new cartilage to "firm" and fill in the gap. Several NBA players have had this done and never come back. Just wondering if anyone had come back to tt after the same surgery. Thanks for the repsonses.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2016, 12:17 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I've not had it. The literature says it works great for some people, fails for others, and reasons why remain mysterious. One of the top defensive players on our local professional (American) football team (NFL) is playing very well this year about 16 months after that surgery.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!