OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 21:39

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2016, 02:11 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Finished my TT season for both weekdays I play this week just gone. Probably a good thing as I've injured my shoulder and don't think I could play anyway. I've managed to get by without much shoulder pain in the last 10 years or so, whilst seeing many others need breaks or even surgery for it. I'm really hoping mine doesn't need the latter, and that a Xmas break will be just what the doctor ordered.

So far I'm heat-packing it and Elmore Oiling it, both of which seems to be helping it. But it gets sore again without some treatment after a few hours. And in bed is the worst time. You'd think not laying on the injured shoulder would be the way to go, but it actually hurts more to lay on the opposite side as the injured shoulder muscles have to support the position of my arm, etc. Laying on my back is the best position, but I simply cannot fall asleep on my back....always been a side-sleeper.

Not sure what the injury is or how long it will take to recover, but its certainly a pain to feel weak in the shoulder. Restricts lots of things besides TT. Mates want me to play golf this coming week now TT is finished. Not sure it'll come up for that.

Anyone had shoulder injuries and found other good treatments and ways to sleep comfortably with them?

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2016, 02:24 
Super User

Blade: Timo Boll Spirit
FH: H3 neo 40 Degrees
BH: Tenergy 05
I'm lucky that i can sleep in all position now that u mentioned it,
I've read that mix of hot and cold treatment helps a lot rather than sticking to just heat
maybe add some icing as well within the mix.
How did you acquire your injury mate?

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2016, 10:28 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
I've been to many masseuse, chiropractors, acupuncturists, and even sports doctors over the years dealing with right shoulder pain/problem. I gave up for years after so many tries, each one would help only for a short while. Second to last one was sport doctor. Peter79 who sounded like having same problem as me went there and got fixed. I flew over and tried and didn't get mine fixed. The doctor did USG on my shoulder area and told me some of the muscles got hurt. After activities muscles should rest and got back to relax state but mine doesn't he said. After his treatment I stopped playing for half a year but didn't get better.

In recent months a mate at the club help me with some massage/push point methods and it helps greatly.

Other people who comes for help to him have mixed results. And so it goes with any other methods/doctors. Need to go and try many until you find one that fits/suits you.

I think the first step for you is to search and find a good physiologist.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2016, 19:01 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Thanks guys. I hope that I'm not in for as much trouble as you sound like you've had Rok. Been about 4 days now...it feels like its improved each day slightly, but definitely not out of the woods yet.

Kim, I am absolutely uncertain how it happened. Not sure if it was during play last Monday, or how I slept with it that night. I didn't feel any pain through an awkward movement or anything and it didn't even hurt playing on Monday. I had a hit on Wednesday night (which is rare for me to do) and it wasn't hurting to hit, but was after hitting. Same on Thursday nights matches, although stretching out for a shot did start hurting more. I think the extra hit for the week didn't help, but I'm pretty sure I'd have ended up the same without it...a day's more rest in between may have just helped it exacerbate a little less.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2016, 19:14 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
I've had a shoulder injury two times and both times I recovered fully. In both cases it was the lavator scapulae that was overworked. Problem in both cases was I overloaded the muscle during the whole day, using my computer mouse and then adding fuel by training intensively. Kine didn't help, because I was still overloading it during the day. I started using my right hand (I'm left) for the computer mouse and the injury healed within a month or so. I'm at the point already using the computer mouse with my left hand doesn't hurt anymore. I'm still using my right hand. My left is preserved solely for the goeddly purpose of TT.

Injuries don't come and go: they are there for a reason. Your task is to understand why. Pain is a good indicator what to do/what to avoid and to direct you to a different behaviour pattern.

Maybe sleeping on the back is the best way to go...

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2016, 22:36 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
After my surgery sleeping was the hardest thing to do...you would think that sleeping on your back would support your shoulders but they actually fall back she you do this putting stress on the joint. The direction. I got was almost sleep where your torso is at a 45 degree angle to the mattress. (Half way between on your side and on your back. You will need to create a pillow wall to keep your self up like this....make sure your bad shoulder is the one closest to the mattress

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2016, 23:44 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
The shoulder is a complicated whole of different muscles, so what doesn't work for one, does work for the other. For me sleeping on the hurting shoulder wasn't an option, sleeping on the healthy shoulder wasn't either. Sleeping on the back was. Problem was I took into my normal position after I fell asleep. And if I'm asleep, I'm asleep. :lol: So I woke up with a stiff, hurting shoulder.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2016, 03:03 
Super User

Blade: Palio WAY-003
FH: Yinhe Mars II medium
BH: Yinhe 955
Could you specify your symptoms?
My first guess would be the rotator cuff with pain at the top of biceps up to the breast-area.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2016, 14:52 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

leatherback wrote:
After my surgery sleeping was the hardest thing to do...you would think that sleeping on your back would support your shoulders but they actually fall back she you do this putting stress on the joint. The direction. I got was almost sleep where your torso is at a 45 degree angle to the mattress. (Half way between on your side and on your back. You will need to create a pillow wall to keep your self up like this....make sure your bad shoulder is the one closest to the mattress

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Yes...I've been supporting my arm and shoulder joint on a pillow, and just making tiny movements to find a comfortable position. Sleeping on my back simply isn't an option although I wish it was. I'm fairly comfortable there (although I know what you mean about the shoulders dropping backward a little), but I just cannot fall asleep in that position - I've tried many, many times over the years without success. I've been able to fall asleep with the good shoulder to the mattress and the bad one on the pillow, but I wake up with the bad one to the mattress lol.

The good news is it is very slowly feeling a little bit better each day with Elmore Oiling.

Red, symptoms are a bit difficult to describe, but there is pain in certain positions like holding hand on car steering wheel or on bike handlebars (went for a ride with my daughter yesterday). Its a dull ache more than a sharp pain. Its sort of at the back of my shoulder more near the blade. And underneath my armpit is tender when I massage it. At times the top of the shoulder can hurt a bit in certain positions lying in bed. I get the impression if it was rotator cuff I would get more pain rotating my arm and it wouldn't be getting better. A heatpack on it frees it up for a while after nicely. No TT tonight anyway. Don't know if golf on Thursday is an option yet lol :headbang:

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2016, 19:52 
Super User

Blade: Palio WAY-003
FH: Yinhe Mars II medium
BH: Yinhe 955
You're right, these symptoms doesn't point to the rotator cuff. You say it feels dumb at times and you mention tender under your armpit. You also noticed that a heat-pack gives relieve for a while so it probably isn't an inflammation-process in action.
Does your arm feel heavy at times? The tender feel in the arm-pit needs to be checked, there may be a relation to the lymphatic system.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!