OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 15:20

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2499 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156 ... 167  Next
 Post subject: Re: Introduce yourself
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2018, 09:22 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Blade: Dr Neubauer High Tec Plus
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Tibhar Hybrid K3
trumpet_guy wrote:
Santa Clara

ok, I'm in Sunnyvale - haven't played much in the last 2 months, but getting back into it. Will start going back to Swan Ping Pong in 3 weeks time!

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2018, 16:31 

Blade: Donic Appelgren Excl. AR
FH: KTL Pro XP
BH: KTL Pro XP
Hello everyone, my name is John. I am an engineering graduate student from the US. I picked up table tennis recently (~1.5 years ago) - one of my chinese colleagues got me into it. I am a beginner through and through. I play shakehand, I feel like I am still a beginner enough that I don't know what my style is. Oh, and I'm kinda in charge of the University's table tennis club now... long story.

Hmmm, how I found this site... You know how beginners always overthink their equipment? Well, while I was doing that I came across this forum. Been lurking for a while, now I have actual questions that I want to ask (most for the club). Thanks to the forum, I got some nice equipment when I still had a budget (now its much MUCH lower :oops: ). Glad to be here!

Last edited by notcras on 30 Nov 2018, 10:42, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2018, 07:07 

Blade: DDCS
FH: Yasaka Mark V Black 1.8
BH: TSP SSPC2 Red 1.3
Hi all,

My name is Artiom :)
- I'm from faraway country called Moldova (Eastern Europe), I'm not registered to any clubs yet, just found a coach and he teaches personal classes to me. Majority of TT games I play at the office, but sometimes occasionally with my family or friends at those special places with TT courts (e.g Mall)
- Not sure exactly how long have I been playing. The first time I took TT rackets in my hands was ~8 years ago. From that time I played really (and I mean Really) Rare. Now I play a little bit more often. Plus I'm trying to maintain for the past time (~2 month) tempo of 4 TT classes per week ~6 hours long in total. I'm 26 years old.
- It's very difficult question, I start to realize that process of defining style is very complex, which may be developed/influenced by both coach and trainee. I'm looking more into defensive style (that attitude may come from other areas of life, e.g. in jujitsu I like to play more of defensive/counterattacking game) with a lot of chopping and blocking (as I find most exciting in TT those floating balls with a lot of backspin) for now, but point of view of my coach could be very different ;)
- My level in table tennis is Beginner.
- My job title is Software tester (with smallish variations from time to time)
- I practice Brazilian Jujitsu and sometimes teach classes (that sport was very new in our country, which caused another great journey of our own ways of searching development directions). I like traveling, but not that often, mostly going to other countries with my family to learn new things. Also I enjoy reading (sometimes read 'normal' books, sometimes technical literature, other times those forums about things I'm interested in (e.g. table tennis or equipment for table tennis). To be honest I also searched a source of information for table tennis (history, technique, ordered book: Table Tennis: Steps to Success by Larry Hodges, which is not shipped yet). Looks like newest hobie I found is starting different discussions with table tennis community, see example here: https://www.reddit.com/r/tabletennis/co ... ie_issues/).
- I had a break from TT practice ~for a week or so (my coach had some kind of local competition, I believe he refereed there). So for that period of time I wanted to learn new things about TT, maybe experiment with new equipment (I find personal experience, even if not that positive, very precious). That's why I bought a new setup :) Trying to keep up with that newbie style, you know ;)
Somewhere in the internet I found post in which somebody mentioned facebook group called "North Little Rock Table Tennis Group at Senior Center". I thought there could be somebody, who could give me some piece of advice regarding to my journey (please note that I'm not disrespecting anybody, I respect my coache's opinion, but just want to get the picture on TT as complete as possible)). I decided to write a direct message to owners of that groups (to ask some newbie questions). I wrote there and polite man suggested ooakforum.

Cheers,

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2018, 23:35 
My Precious

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Joola Golden Tango
BH: Tibhar Dtecs OX
Welcome to the Ooak TT Forum Notcras & ttvoyager. TT is a great sport & this is a great Forum, read & look at plenty of YouTube footage which will help work out your style. For me the bat comes first. Get that right & then the rubbers. Good luck :up: :clap:

See the ball, be the ball...

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2018, 14:26 

Blade: DONIC Defplay Senso V3
FH: YASAKA Rakza 7 Soft 1.8mm
BH: TSP SpinpipsChop II 1.4mm
Hello to all,

My name is Tziphos, 45 y.o. and I am from Greece. Nice to see such a forum for table tennis, happy to be here.
I has playing TT in a club in Greece for 4 years, when I was 12-16 years old but I had to stop it, and now, ~30 years after, I started it again as a sport. Back then, I was a DEF player so I would like to continue from this point. Rules, balls, bats, rubbers style of play etc where very different back then so as I am "newbie" again and I need your help to choose the right bat. I was an intermediate player at that time.

Have a nice day :)

@work setup: blade: Yinhe 980 | FH: Yinhe Mercury2 2.1mm | BH: Yinhe Neptune 0.7mm
to-be-used setup: blade: DONIC DefPlay Senso 3 | FH: YASAKA Rakza 7 soft 1.8mm | BH: TSP SpinPips Chop 2 1.4mm

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2018, 19:23 

Blade: Joola Rossi Emotion
FH: DHS Hurricane III Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane III Neo
Hi there. HeathrowTerminal2 from UK here. Midlife crisis had me revisiting table tennis and I’d consider myself a very dedicated noob.

I’m getting coaching on the side and play maybe 6 hours a week against friends and similarly frantic and competitive office mates. Considering joining a (low) league here in London.

I’d still very much describe me as a beginner but I work hard on basics, movement, drilling vs robots and serving etc.

I am a long gone equipment junkie so these kinds of boards make me very happy.

I’d love to play you all some day.

Joola Rosskopf Emotion + Hurricane III Neo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2018, 18:31 

Blade: homemade
FH: 729FX SuperSoft
BH: 729FX SuperSoft
Hi,

I'm Adrian, 38 years, from Romania. I tried to learn TT around 3 times during my life, but failed due to various reasons. Mostly because I did not managed to hit the ball.

Some weekes ago, some office colleague lost his Yasaka MaLin blade and I have made some bad joke with him that I can cut some scrap plywood for him, so he can replace it, but he needs to teach me TT. 2 Weeks later I had came up with 2 blades inspired by some pictures from the Internet and reading this forum. One "slower" for me and one "a bit faster" for him. Anyway these blades are much much faster than expected, by still playable. But the goal is that now I now a have a teacher to teach me TT and I am preparing the next blade prototypes.

Outside TT I am a software engineer. I practice fishing, skying, wood carving and I build fishinglures from balsa wood.

As mentioned before, I reached this forum while reading about TT blades composition. I made myself a user here because this community seems to have a bit of an edge over the other forums.

Last edited by adyy on 06 Nov 2018, 02:40, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2018, 19:30 
Super User

adyy wrote:
Hi,

I'm Adrian, 38 years, from Romania. I tried to learn TT around 3 times during my life, but failed due to various reasons. Mostly because I did not managed to hit the ball.

Some weekes ago, some office colleague lost his Yasaka MaLin blade and I have made some bad joke with him that I can cut some scrap plywood for him, so he can replace it, but he needs to teach me TT. 2 Weeks later I had came up with 2 blades inspired by some pictures from the Internet and reading this forum. One "slower" for me and one "a bit faster" for him. Anyway these blades are much much faster than expected, by still playable. But the goal is that now I now a have a teacher to teach me TT and I am preparing the next blade prototypes.

Outside TT I am an a software engineer and practice fishing, skying, wood carving I build fishinglures from balsa wood.

As mentioned before, I reached this forum while reading about TT blades composition. I made myself a user here because this community seems to have a bit of an edge over the other forums.

Welcome! Very interested to see what kind of blades you've come up with!

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2018, 00:47 

1st was a mahogany-fiberglass-balsa-balsa-balsa-fiberglass-mahogany
2nd was a walnut-pine-ayous-pine-walnut
3rd is a mahogany-fiberglass-ayous-fiberglass-mahogany (this is still in building phase, needs the handle to be glued)

4th is an all spruce 5 layers. I intended here to test hide glue made from Rabbit skin.
5th is a meranti-fiberglass-crosscut balsa-fiberglass-meranti. That one also needs handles.

1 other prototype is now at concept phase.

I (will try to) add pictures/description into the "Make your own blade". Or should I make my own thread?
Anyway I will also have lots of questions. :-D

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2018, 02:04 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Addy, where you at? There are several Romanian players where I am. (Sacramento)

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2018, 02:36 

I live (yet) in Romania.
The city is Brasov.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2018, 07:11 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe V14 Pro
FH: Harder Chinese rubber
BH: Softer Chinese/ESN rubber
Hi all, my name is Igor, I'm from Russia but currently living in the USA, South Florida. Last summer I returned to playing table tennis after a 20+ years break. I'm a local club member and also play in tournaments. My level is intermediate and my dream is to reach USATT rating 1800 ;)

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2018, 09:17 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
ziv wrote:
Hi all, my name is Igor, I'm from Russia but currently living in the USA, South Florida. Last summer I returned to playing table tennis after a 20+ years break. I'm a local club member and also play in tournaments. My level is intermediate and my dream is to reach USATT rating 1800 ;)

Welcome, Igor! Добро пожаловать!

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2018, 11:11 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe V14 Pro
FH: Harder Chinese rubber
BH: Softer Chinese/ESN rubber
pgpg wrote:
Welcome, Igor! Добро пожаловать!

Thank you, pgpg! Спасибо :)

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2018, 05:22 

Greetings all. I'm 39 and have been playing on and off ever since I was a kid. I went to a friends party the other day and was surprised how interested my kids were in their ping-pong table. Son is 5 and daughter is 7. Anyways, I just purchased a Joola World Cup from Sears and it will be delivered January 12. I picked up a Killerspin Jet600 last week and will start learning about different paddles here.

- where are you from, country and club, where you play
I live in Norther Utah. Not part of any clubs.

- how long you've been playing (how old? )
Started when I was 14. Played a lot in the military.

- playing style
Noob

- level
Noob

- job or what you do outside TT
Aviation Safety Inspector for the FAA (and reservist for the USAF)

- other hobbies
Brewing beer and running

- how you stumbled upon this forum
Found this forum while doing a search on MDF vs aluminum table tops.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2499 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156 ... 167  Next