OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 01:30

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Broken Bones
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2009, 20:24 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
In January I broke my playing arms elbow :roll:

It has required surgery and wiring back together. The surgeon has told me to keep it supported and not to do any lifting until I go back to see him at the start of March when they will check it's movement (limited at the moment) and consider if/how much physio I will need to get the movement and strength back. Until then he gave me a couple of basic exercises to do.

Not being able to play table tennis is so frustrating so I asked the surgeon when it will be likely that I'll be able to start practicing table tennis again but understandably he couldn't give me an answer.

I know every injury is different but has anyone had a similar injury and if so,

1. How long was it before you were practicing comfortably again; and
2. How long before you were playing matches

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2009, 21:11 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Thanks speedplay.

Surgery did go well. As you say it's just time now and not rushing back.

And reading this forum lots! So many short pimple tips and tactics from Kees and agooding2 posts that I want to try out - big thanks to them - and unopened sheets of 799 and 802-1 just looking at me waiting to be tried out on my backhand!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2009, 21:51 
Chop or I'll Shoot
Chop or I'll Shoot

Well, I had surgery June 6th for a complete tear of my right rotator cuff. Doc said no nothing for 6 months. I cheated and started back in late Nov early Dec. I didn't do any serious training till Jan. It is still tight but no pain. May 2008 was my last tourney. LOL, I played it with that torn rotator. Not smart. I have a tourney in 2 weeks. I am pretty nervous. Pay attention to your doctor. Ask what he thinks is a good time to return to SPORTS,like tennis. Don't just say table tennis. A lot of doctors don't understand how physical TT can be. So ask about sports. When you do get back, take your time. Lord knows we don't want you going back too soon and hurting yourself. Becareful and take your time. Good luck.

USATT Rating: 1869

MOLON LABE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2009, 22:23 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Can only echo Joe's thoughts here. Given that I am also recovering from serious injury (snapped achilles), and am also back to TT earlier than was first anticipated (by about 6 months I think), I know how frustrating it is to e side-lined. Played my 4th night of the season tonight and (touch wood) alls good so far.

All I can say is keep your chin up and stay in touch with the forum cos its a way to love our game without being able to play it. Not as good, no, but better than nothing. And keeps the mind thinking about TT and what your strategy/equipment is going to be when you come back. Learn as much as you can in the downtime! :wink:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2009, 23:49 
Super User

Go ahead Debater. If you think you will play again, you'll do it. As simple as that. Fight for it, do all phisio treatment your doc asks, no matter how it hurts. Don't forget that you still have to keep the rest of your body fit, so do your exercises: sit-ups, etc. Keep mentally and phisically fit for the magic moment of return.

Best of lucks to you!

Q.-

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Feb 2009, 19:31 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Thanks guys for all your support and advice.

GrumpyJoe wrote

Quote:
Ask what he thinks is a good time to return to SPORTS,like tennis. Don't just say table tennis. A lot of doctors don't understand how physical TT can be. So ask about sports

Excellent idea and one I hadn't thought of. Most of my non playing friends think all you do in table tennis is stand at the end of the table and pat a little ball backwards and forwards which requires little effort. They soon change their minds when I get them to come down and play a few games!

A complete tear of the right rotator cuff and snapped achilles are nasty injuries so it's great to hear you're back playing again GrumpyJoe and RebornTTEvnglist. I hope it continues to go well for you both and it's great you still have your appetite for the game. Six months plus for you guys must have been a long time to go without playing table tennis. I'm frustrated after only 6 weeks!

On the bright side though, I am finding more threads on this forum to read and learn from :D

ps: Love the signature RebornTTEvnglist
Quote:
I'm always in the dark, but the Dark sheds lights upon everything!!Twisted Evil

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Feb 2009, 21:20 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Cheers Debater!

And you can call me Reb, saves lots of typing lol. :wink:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2009, 05:46 

I've broken legs, ribs, feet, ankles, toes, fingers & cheek bone so far. I've also sprained elbows(tennis elbow) & blew out my knee. the knee took 1yrs of rehab(no surgery) before I could run or really bike on it & 2 yrs before it was back to normal.
Each injury was different & its best to listen to the doctor. i'm a stubborn irishmen so i tend to follow the philosophy of use it or lose it. of course that might be changing as i get older and older. 40's coming up awfully fast.

Hard Bat: LKT Instinct
Dr.Evil
Power is not revealed by striking hard or often, but by striking true.
-Honore de Balzac

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2009, 14:52 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

I'd say need some tweaking instead of full blown change Eric. :wink: Except the tweaking has to occur pretty much every year after, so by 50 its a full blown change lol.. :lol: :lol:

Post subject: Re: Broken Bones
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2009, 19:46 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Debater wrote:
In January I broke my playing arms elbow :roll:

It has required surgery and wiring back together. The surgeon.......

Thanks

Was it Dr J.K Stanley at the Wrightington Hospital Wigan? ( I also broke my elbow)

Post subject: Injury
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2009, 20:54 

When I had a bad case of tennis elbow I used my other arm for gentle exercise routines against my robot and low key knocks at the club. I found it a good way of not thinking about my injury and also I was focused in trying to improve my skill levels with the non-playing arm. All the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2009, 22:06 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

A guy at our club who hurt his right shoulder when he was playing in B1 started playing left-handed and went back to B4. He has now worked himself back up to B2 playing mainly left-handed. However he is now so adept at playing both handed, he's confusing to play because he often changes hands during a point to assist the best shot he wants to do. It makes him a formidable opponent, that's for sure. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2009, 22:22 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Debater: I don't know with that injury, but i've had my share. I'd say go see a physio, tel them what you ant to do and get them to set a program and timetable for you.

There was a guy who used to play around my area, before my time really. He could play right or left handed and often swapped even during rallies.

He upset 1 guy I know who thought he was taking the mickey and walked off, but he used to do it against everyone. He did at deuce against another 1 of our players (our guy won the point and hadn't even noticed he swapped hands).

As far as i'm concerned if he's good enough to beat me left handed more power to him. It'd be my fault, if I lost not his.

It's a credit to the guy in your league to overcome injury in that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2009, 23:20 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Dark horse wrote:
Quote:
Was it Dr J.K Stanley at the Wrightington Hospital Wigan?

No, Mr Canty was the surgeon and I had the operation at Royal Preston Hospital. I go back and see him tomorrow at Chorley Hospital - he works at both and Chorley is easier for me to get to on the bus.

So far I've only been given some gentle bending and turn exercises to start to encourage movement and bend in my elbow. It's tempting to try and do more especially after watching my own team play in our local league but as others have said earlier, I'm doing exactly what the surgeon told me. Build a good foundation now and work from there.

antipip wrote:
Quote:
Debater: I don't know with that injury, but i've had my share. I'd say go see a physio, tel them what you ant to do and get them to set a program and timetable for you.

That's what I'm doing tomorrow when I see Mr Canty.

Most of my exercise at the moment is therefore mental and trying to visualise what I'm trying to do or achieve in matches - particularly from a tactical point of view. I've been described as an instinct or reaction player which is ok up to a point but I definitely need to be mentally tougher and tactically smarter. I guess table tennis for me needs to become more like chess with balls and that's something I can definitely practice now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2009, 00:13 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

antipip wrote:
It's a credit to the guy in your league to overcome injury in that way.

Oh I totally agree Anti. All I'm saying is its bloody confusing, cos he changes so swiftly that half the time you don't even recognise that he has done it. Can mean you're playing totally the wrong shot at him. Its a rare skill I think. I can play left-handed, but have never been forced to do it enough to get as good as my right. Not that I'm wishing for that lol. I don't even think I'd be comfy changing hands anyway, I'd be scared of dropping the bat! :twisted: