OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 06:21

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Poly Ball News
PostPosted: 13 May 2014, 22:48 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I hear they were handing out some Nittaku poly balls at the 2014 Tokyo championships. Not sure if they were seamed or not.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 14 May 2014, 08:16 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

According to our friends from Soulspin, they are seamed balls.

PostPosted: 14 May 2014, 19:50 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Here is a picture, courtesy of Soulspin who managed to get some :up:

PostPosted: 24 May 2014, 19:25 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

A few more interesting 'rumours' that I heard from one of our suppliers who shall remain anonymous;

1. The two main ball manufacturers (must be DHS and Double Fish I would guess), are being heavily influenced by the CTTA to make the new balls as heavy and large as possible, as close as possible to the upper limits set by the ITTF.
I don't understand why???

2. Seamless balls are highly discouraged, under the influence of the CTTA. The seamed balls are going to be the mainstream.
This is not surprising to me, as the seamed balls seem much closer to the celluloid balls according to recent reports.

PostPosted: 24 May 2014, 19:38 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Are there any seamed 40+ balls on the market yet?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 24 May 2014, 20:01 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I don't think so, but some have been ITTF approved.

PostPosted: 25 May 2014, 03:00 

haggisv wrote:
A few more interesting 'rumours' that I heard from one of our suppliers who shall remain anonymous;

1. The two main ball manufacturers (must be DHS and Double Fish I would guess), are being heavily influenced by the CTTA to make the new balls as heavy and large as possible, as close as possible to the upper limits set by the ITTF.

Well, if ITTF people want to go on with the previous change from the 38mm ball to the current 40mm one, it seems quite logical that they'd try to take advantage of this new ball change to go on with this and try to (silently) promote a "just-a-bit-larger ball".

If I'm not mistaken, the limits defined for this new poly balls were already inclined toward a larger ball (don't remember the exact sizes, but previously ball diameter had to be kept between 39.5 and 40.5, whereas with the poly balls, it was more something like 39.8 to 41mm). Which, on a large scale, was to led to an average diameter augmentation anyway.

PostPosted: 25 May 2014, 03:51 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
The max diameter for 40+ balls is 40.6mm, which would be about a 1mm increase from the current balls. I'm sure this is the real reason for the new ball.

By the way, it's interesting to note that ALL plastic balls (seamed and seamless) are white. There is not one approved plastic orange ball. What's up with that?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 25 May 2014, 09:19 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

mynamenotbob wrote:
By the way, it's interesting to note that ALL plastic balls (seamed and seamless) are white. There is not one approved plastic orange ball. What's up with that?

I suspect that's simply related to cost. Since white is the official colour at the moment, they will not risk making two types of balls, when there is still a chance the TT world won't accept the poly balls, or the preference will be towards another brand ball.

PostPosted: 25 May 2014, 09:21 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

haggisv wrote:

2. Seamless balls are highly discouraged, under the influence of the CTTA. The seamed balls are going to be the mainstream.
This is not surprising to me, as the seamed balls seem much closer to the celluloid balls according to recent reports.

Perhaps one reason for making the ball closer to the max weight limit is to strengthen the ball, so it's a little more durable. Durability may be a major issue, especially since earlier sample appeared to crack very easily.

PostPosted: 25 May 2014, 14:59 
Super User

Blade: BTY Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Tibhar Aurus 1.9mm
BH: Tibhar Aurus 1.7mm
David Smythe, Butterfly distributor in Australia, has a Butterfly seamless, plastic ball and I had a trial hit with it last week.

Two things stood out for me, one it does seem a tad heavier as compared to a celluloid ball and two, it seems to have a "catapult" effect after it bounces on the table.

PostPosted: 25 May 2014, 15:15 
Super User

Blade: Barna Original Triumph
FH: Yasaka Rakza PO max.
BH: DMS Störkraft 0.8
arlene wrote:
David Smythe, Butterfly distributor in Australia, has a Butterfly seamless, plastic ball and I had a trial hit with it last week.

Two things stood out for me, one it does seem a tad heavier as compared to a celluloid ball and two, it seems to have a "catapult" effect after it bounces on the table.

how was it in regards to spin compared to the celluloid ball?

PostPosted: 25 May 2014, 15:27 
Super User

A tad harder to generate.

PostPosted: 25 May 2014, 15:38 
Super User

Blade: Barna Original Triumph
FH: Yasaka Rakza PO max.
BH: DMS Störkraft 0.8
arlene wrote:
A tad harder to generate.

is the difference in terms of spin (to the celluloid ball) less than the approved xushaofa ones (to the celluloid) = does it pick up more spin than the approved xushaofa ?

PostPosted: 25 May 2014, 16:09 
Super User

Sorry AA, I only tried the Butterfly plastic ball that was made in Japan. I cannot comment on any other brand for that matter.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next