OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 08 May 2024, 21:58

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2014, 05:35 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wturber wrote:
I can also imagine how TV broadcasts could end up showing the ball spinning in the wrong direction due to temporal aliasing (frame rates interacting with rotation rates - think wagon wheels spinning backwards in old Westerns.)

You beat me to it. I was thinking about exactly the same thing... :)

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2014, 09:10 
Super User

Ok - gotta take it a step further.
With the half colored ball the human eye may see odd false colors because of the way the eye reacts to black and white patterns in rotation.
The phenomenon is seen in the old spinning toy called Benham's Disk which shows red and blue tinted bands when spinning but has only black and white patterns.

Each frame of this animated gif contains only black and white. If you don't believe it you can break out the frames in an editor like Gimp.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2014, 11:29 
Super User

fleetwood999 wrote:
Ok - gotta take it a step further.
With the half colored ball the human eye may see odd false colors because of the way the eye reacts to black and white patterns in rotation.
The phenomenon is seen in the old spinning toy called Benham's Disk which shows red and blue tinted bands when spinning but has only black and white patterns.

It isn't very likely that there'd be false colors to any degree that it would be an issue. First,it doesn't have fine B&W detail. Second, the ball doesn't have the same high level of contrast given that it is mostly orange and white.

I think the notion of a pattern like the soccer ball is the best approach. And even if it did show false colors, so what. That design would probably better satisfy the goal of allowing the players determine the direction and degree of spin visually.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2014, 11:39 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
Fixing things that are not broken will eventually break. Polyball, two toned ball, neon ball etc. OMG this is putting off a lot of players. |-)

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2014, 11:42 
Super User

"If you... could see inside my head,
(Can you see it? Can you see it?)
You'd see... that black and white is red..."

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2014, 11:51 
Super User

Red_lion wrote:
Fixing things that are not broken will eventually break. Polyball, two toned ball, neon ball etc. OMG this is putting off a lot of players. |-)

I think it is worth experimenting with. All sports fine tune the rules and equipment. Some experiments are duds. Some are successes.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2014, 11:52 
Super User

Zhaoyang wrote:
"If you... could see inside my head,
(Can you see it? Can you see it?)
You'd see... that black and white is red..."

Reminds me of the old joke: What's black and white and red all over?

The answer may date you a bit. (Also, this joke is best if spoken not written.)

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2014, 18:13 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
http://www.sueddeutsche.de/sport/neue-t ... -1.2045876

OK so now the storyline is celluloid table tennis balls are highly toxic and flammable therefore the switch to plastic.

Also apparently there are five factories making polyballs, three in China, one in Japan and one in Germany (Weener Plastik GmbH in Ostfriesland).

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2014, 21:07 
Super User

wturber: I remember yours. Did you recognize mine?

Sorry to distract the thread. I'm against changing the ball; more generally I'm against governments owning me but it looks like the familiar "love it or leave it" in ping-pong* too.

Doesn't the ITTF have an anthem to fill my pathetic heart?

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2014, 00:53 

Hi,

I recently played with the new Nittaku Premium 40+ (It comes in a box for one ball, something like royalty I presume). I love that ball, as it strongly supports the sport as we have had it for long. A few other players played with it briefly and did not alter their technique in any way.

A few things:

o The players noticed a significant playing difference between the Nittaku and the new JOOLA plastic 3 star, as did I. The Nittaku as a distinct look as well (more of a light cream color in contrast to bright white), as does the celluloid version. My sense, as of this writing, is that Nittaku has again created the superior ball among the elite balls. My quick thought was that the playing difference between the Nittaku Premium 40+ and the other 3 star plastic balls was greater than the playing difference between the Nittaku Premium 40 mm celluloid and the other 3 star celluloid balls.

o One change anticipated with the plastic ball is less variability in the bounce during play dynamics, a complaint the professional players continue to cite for the celluloid 40 mm ball. If this greater consistency in bounce holds with the 40+ balls, that will reduce the unforced errors.

o The Nittaku representative in Tokyo told me their non-Premium balls will be manufactured in China. I'm speculating they may be the seamless model. From other sources I have contact with, my thought is that it may be the case that the seamless becomes the standard for the below-3-star plastic balls.

o I'm eagerly awaiting videos of the top Chinese playing with the 40+. My current sense is that the women's styles will not be affected in a significant way. I anticipate the men who played an athletic, broad-field-of-play style will be playing consistently closer to the table.

Thanks,

Donn

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2014, 09:06 

Donn Olsen wrote:
The Nittaku representative in Tokyo told me their non-Premium balls will be manufactured in China. I'm speculating they may be the seamless model. From other sources I have contact with, my thought is that it may be the case that the seamless becomes the standard for the below-3-star plastic balls.

Donn, no, the made in China, non-premium, SHA model 3-star ball is seamed, just like the Premium and every other major brand poly ball. I have some sitting here on my desk.

I can't be completely sure about less than 3-star balls, but I see no reason why major manufacturers would go to a seamless ball for their lesser quality balls and seamed for 3-star. Is there a particular reason why you have this belief? Both seamed and seamless balls are being made in China at present. Also many players train with 1 or 2 star balls to save money when a lot of balls are needed. It would defeat the purpose of training if the lower quality balls were drastically different than the tournament ball, and the seamless balls are, IMO, drastically different than the seamed balls. Lastly, the only 1 or two star poly balls I've seen advertised so far are from DHS and DoubleFish, and both of those ball models are seamed.

Larry

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2014, 09:29 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Gotta agree with Donn's observation of more consistent bounce and his deduction of less unforced errors, since at the pro level a lot of errors involve an untrue bounce of the ball.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2014, 22:00 

Hi Larry,

You may be completely correct about the below-3-star scenario (or below-Premium-3-star if Nittaku continues to produce the lower grade 3 star). It is certainly true about the differences in playing characteristics between seamed and seamless are such as to make the selection of below-3-star of poor value.

I made the speculation about the seamless lower quality ball because it is my understanding that they are produced at a much lower cost than seamed, and with the standards for training quality balls always having been quite low, there are managed expectations that would allow this approach, to the profitability enhancement of the producers.

It is my understanding all the seamless ball construction will be in China, thus the labor savings make for a price point that is highly desirable.

It will be interesting to observe this.

Thanks,

Donn

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2014, 02:13 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
I agree with Donn that there is a noticeable difference between the new Joola balls and Nittaku balls. The Joola balls feel slightly slower and softer to me. The Nittaku balls have a harder feel. At our club the first night we broke several of the Joola balls and none of the Nittaku balls. I like the Joola balls better and hope durability will not be an issue. From what I've seen, fulltime hardbatters might just destroy Joola ball after Joola ball.

Another thing is people are really complaining about having to use white balls. I wonder what the issue is in producing orange balls?

The only other observation I have is after playing with poly balls for a few hours I switched back to the current celluloid balls and the celluloid balls seemed like bullets.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2014, 07:53 
Super User

Donn Olsen wrote:
I made the speculation about the seamless lower quality ball because it is my understanding that they are produced at a much lower cost than seamed, and with the standards for training quality balls always having been quite low, there are managed expectations that would allow this approach, to the profitability enhancement of the producers.

I would have expected that the cost of production for seamless balls would be higher given the need to melt the plastic, rotate the mold, and then let the ball cool sufficiently before releasing it. While the idea behind the seamless ball is superior (no seams mean not "equator" with extra thickness, the potential for a very balanced ball, and no stress risers at the seam), the limits in the technology used to produce it appears to negate that superiority. Or at least that's the information we've been given so far. I'm afraid the seamless ball will fade into obscurity unless the makers can show a clear superiority in the next couple of years.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next