OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 21:18

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2014, 22:39 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
By: Ian Marshall, ITTF Publications Editor

Held in the Slovenia City of Ljubljana, the Executive Committee of the International Table Tennis Federation met in early March.

Once again, as the meeting was chaired by Adham Sharara, ITTF President.

Following the conclusion of proceedings, he spoke to the local reporter, Tim Šfiligoj who followed the mandate of the past, the present and the future.

What does it take for a former Canadian National Team member to become the ITTF President? What was that inner motivation? Was becoming the President always at the back of your mind or did you just go with the flow?

I think it has nothing to do with being Canadian to be honest. I joined the ITTF in 1989 as a Continental Vice President; I learned a great deal in four years about the ITTF; how is it functioning, what are the difficulties and so on.

There were some simple things that I thought the ITTF could do better; for example at that time the rankings were done by a Committee and because there were more and more matches I could not understand how they will be able to continue doing the rankings manually. So I proposed a computer ranking and equal prize money for men and women, to encourage more women to participate.

It was still a very traditional federation. I decided that the best way was to join because if you join, you can influence more from the inside. So during the four years of being the Continental Vice President at least I succeeded to convince the ITTF to have a computer ranking even if it was not the best; it was a change in the right direction. Also, I convinced them to have an equal number of men and women competing at the Olympic Games through a request to the International Olympic Committee.

After seeing that you can achieve more things if you are inside, I decided to run for the ITTF Presidency in 1995. When people saw the work I was doing during the 1989 and 1993, many started to encourage me to run for the president. Mr. Ichiro Ogimura at that time became ill so they were looking for replacement. At that time there was a conflict between Asia and Europe so it was better to have somebody from outside.

However, Lollo Hammarlund became the President, I realized that there is a history in the ITTF that you must respect and Lollo Hammarlund had been Deputy President for many years; so when Ichiro Ogimura passed away, it was expected he would become President.

He was already 60 years old and I was only 40 years of age, so just I decided to withdraw my candidacy and ran for Vice-President. I was elected an Executive Vice-President of the ITTF in 1995.

Sadly, Lollo Hammarlund died a year later so Xu Yinsheng of China became President; I became the president in 1999. It was done was not planned; rather more a series of circumstances. The longer I was in the Executive Committee, I realised that as President you can make many changes because you can influence, you can convince and you have resources.

In other positions from outside, especially if you come from Canadian Table Tennis Association, you have very little influence. Bigger associations (China, Germany, France) can have some influence. If you wanted to make change; somebody had to take over; at that time I had many new ideas and I was young.

At the beginning I think the reaction of people was not so positive. Someone from Canada was the ITTF President but later I think they realised that this wass an advantage.

Everything that I am proposing, nobody can say that I was doing this for Canada because Canada is not competitive at the top level so everything I did was for the better of table tennis. Unfortunately later this changed and China in particular often interprets any kind of proposal coming from the ITTF as being against them but this is natural because they are so dominant and any change that we are making affects them the most.

I know you could talk about this for a few days but if you could just shortly describe how the Federation itself evolved in the last 15 years since you became president?

It is mainly a change in mentality; we started to operate in different ways. I changed the ITTF from what used to be a traditional international federation to more like a business.

So my first order of business was really to convert the ITTF into a form of corporation so that we have a proper staff, professionals in different areas and of course the urge to focus a great deal on marketing.

Of course people say we changed many rules but it was not just to change the rules. It was to change the product; from a marketing point of view table tennis is a product and we need to sell it. If it is not selling, what must we do to change that? Just like the chocolate. Does it have enough sugar? It depends on the taste.

My first order of business coming in the first weeks was immediately to try package the tournaments that we have on the Tour and sell them. Contact television stations, change the colours, the rules and so on to make the game more attractive, especially to sponsors.

So basically we changed the mentality from traditional federation to modern business.

What is your vision of the ITTF in 15 years from now? Where do you feel that further improvements need to be made?

Even if I am not involved with the ITTF in 15 years’ time, I would like to see table tennis in the top five sports in the world. I know I am repeating this now every day but I really believe we can do it.

Maybe 15 years ago that seemed impossible but now we are in a position where we are not that far away. In Olympic Games I consider table tennis somewhere in the middle. If there are 26 sports, I think we are around 12th. It is a very difficult last step but in 15 years I think it can be done; to do this, I think one weak point that we have is promotion. We are not good enough at promoting what we do and we are not good enough in promoting our events and our activities.

I think has to do with the personality of a table tennis person. We are more introverted, thinking about ourselves and usually shy. Very few people in table tennis I think are extroverts. We need to really improve our promotion and maybe we need more professional help in this area.

Actually as a close follower of the ITTF I can surely say that there is one thing that has considerably improved over the last 12 months or so and that is the promotion of the ITTF through web.

Yes, we hired Matthew Pound to do it and also we have Kimberly who works for TMS. She is in a Singapore office and also helps us a lot with all the social platforms like Twitter and Facebook.

Now Matthew is doing a lot of work and making progress in the area that we were behind. Actually we were one of the first federations in the world that had a website. It is the same website that we still have now unfortunately. So we started with the technology first but we kept it the same through years.

It is time to change it so now we are going to refresh the look of our website and make it more appealing to the youth especially. Also we keep pushing our Youtube channel and Facebook so that areas are covered quite well now.

Additionally, we are also doing better and better with television. Now this year our World Tour events are going to be broadcast on Eurosport for the first time. The viewership for Kuwait and Qatar Open was very high so we are very happy about that; still this is not enough. I think that we need to feel that everywhere we go; table tennis is in the top five sports in the world. It is our goal now.

How to reach this is very difficult. Even if it is a crazy idea, we are going to gather all the ideas and make a plan on how to reach these objectives. Even if I stop working as a President I will always help the ITTF to reach this top five goal because this is my dream.

With the ITTF being the second largest international federation with 218 national associations, what are the sole benefits to the ITTF itself of bringing table tennis to virtually every corner of the World?

The number itself doesn’t matter it is just the result of the work of the ITTF Development Programme.

What we want is to have table tennis played everywhere. Our Development Programme delivers almost 400 courses per year all over the world – coaches courses, umpires courses, training camps - to try and make table tennis active in as many places as possible.

In some areas where there was no association or still isn’t we try to help them with forming one through the help of their National Olympic Committee or Government, we try to organize tournaments so that we have some activity there and this then translates into forming an association that wishes to join the ITTF.

When I arrived in the ITTF there were 170 national associations which was already very big number but to be able to add 48 new associations is really something and apparently two more will be joining us soon. It is the result of the Development Programme so we didn’t want just to form associations but rather to make table tennis active in a certain area.

Whether people want to form an association and join the ITTF then is up to them.

Sometimes things just grow out of proportion and especially at last year’s World Championships in Paris the number of players and delegations made life very difficult for the organizers. Can we expect qualification system or any other methods to reduce those numbers being introduced any time soon?

We are actually proposing for the Tokyo Annual General Meeting a proposal that would reduce the number of players starting from 2015. We would like to limit World Team Championships to 72 men and 72 women teams, which for any other sport is really big but for us it is a big cut so I am not sure how this is going to be received.

Maybe we will need to make some modifications or not cut to 72 teams immediately, maybe take two steps. We will see but definitely now our staff is pushing us very hard to reduce this number because they find working with 120 or more teams difficult. In Dortmund we had 120 men’s teams and about 105 women’s teams; we expect more in Tokyo so it is huge.

On the television everything looks good for the spectators but behind the scenes the organizers are going crazy so this has to change. Regarding the individual events we have a good solution which I think will be accepted easily and that is to reduce the basic number of players per associations and then add them based on rankings so this means that all the best players can be there, whilst also all the associations can be there but with the smaller number. On the other hand the cut in the team event won’t be achieved that easily but we have to work in that direction.

Maybe first you have to compete at Continental level and if you are good enough, you qualify for the World Championships. People will have to start to think a little differently.

Another problem for table tennis - if I am allowed to say that - are the Chinese who have reached the level of dominance never seen before (maybe in any sport). Is there a way that ITTF can help the rest of the World catching up with the Chinese? Why do you think that the gap between China and Europe seems to be widening? When can we expect Europe to once again threaten the Chinese?

I think mainly in the last 20 years, since 1995 to be honest, China has maintained table tennis as their national sport and they wish to be the best at it so they do everything right.

They improved the physical training of their players so if you look at a Chinese player today and a Chinese player 30 years ago it is completely different. Today they are generally physically better prepared than in all the other countries and then they are specifically better than all the other countries.

I am talking about specific abilities for table tennis. Before the Swedes, the Yugoslavs, the Germans, the French and the Czechs were physically much stronger than the Asians, so some styles of play could be difficult for the Chinese but now the Chinese are the best physically and they are the best at specific physical abilities that you need for table tennis, way ahead of anybody else. You will never see a Chinese player lose his balance no matter how much you put them out of position they will always keep their balance whereas the Europeans can often be seen even falling, for example Timo Boll is often playing sitting on the floor but the Chinese never fall. Even if they are completely out of the position they are still able to play from everywhere and in this department they are really far ahead.

Secondly in the 1970s and in the 1980s the Europeans and the Japanese had better equipment, better blades and rubbers. Today the Chinese have the best equipment.

Thirdly the Chinese confidence has risen. One of the weaknesses of Chinese players in the past was a lack of confidence, so if you were close to them you could beat them. Now it is very hard to beat them because they feel so much superior. You can still see them that they can crumble very quickly when they play bad because mentally they are not as strong as some European players but because they win so much, the natural confidence develops and then you start becoming better mentally prepared just by the good results itself. So these three factors make them really strong now and to catch up it will take a lot of time.

We will need the help from Chinese. They have already started with some initiatives but not enough I believe. They will really have to open the door to their national team training and national coaches. I think eventually this will happen. At the moment I think the Chinese are struggling finding the right way to help. They are using their own thinking, their culture and their mentality which sometimes doesn’t work in other areas, so I am trying to advise them but of course it is difficult because they have their own ideas.

One of their ideas is to have doubles with players from other countries but I think this is more cosmetic and not really a thing that can help in long term. At this moment I am trying to advise them to do things that are a little more concrete; to open the door to their national training centre, to let other national teams come and train with them. They don’t have to give away all the secrets, let the teams that come discover them on their own.

Maybe they could open their doors for say five years and then close again. Second thing that they can do, and they used to do that in the 1970s, is to send some of their best coaches to other countries. Not necessarily to developing countries but to the top countries, to give them the boost. The new national coach of France is now from China so they already started with that but they need to do more.

Another problem is that majority of their best coaches speak only Chinese so it is difficult to send the coach with the interpreter. It is not the same as when the coach is dealing directly with the players, so I have advised them already for 10 years now to bring their best coaches and players to English courses.

They have started now with the players but I also think they need to do it with their coaches so that these coaches can go abroad. It seems that they do what we advise but it usually takes a long time for them to believe that this is the right way. So the most recent advice I gave was don’t make it just cosmetic, make it real. Enforce the open door policy, show other countries everything that you are doing and let them discover secrets on their own. At least players that come from Germany, France and Russia for example would train with them and later when they met them at a competition they wouldn’t be so intimidated by them.

One of the hottest topics in table tennis at this moment is the introduction of plastic balls. How do you think the introduction of plastic balls will change the sport and do you believe that those changes are going to be beneficial?

I don’t think that new balls will change table tennis drastically. I asked many players and coaches about their opinions and they all have different opinion but in my opinion probably the change will be similar to the one when we changed from 38mm to 40mm ball.

At the beginning there will be two or three months when it is not very good and player’s level will fall but then I think in six months they will adjust and in one year it will become a second nature for them. So the first year will be tough, the same as when we went to a 40mm ball, the first few months were terrible.

Players were not adjusted. In practice players adjust very quickly but when it comes to matches automatic reactions will no doubt be the cause of many mistakes. I think the same will happen now because this ball is smoother and will have less spin; when the ball touches the table the friction will be less.

Also the plastic ball is also a little harder and faster so the game will be a little faster with less spin but I don’t know how that will look like compared to today; it could be good or it could be bad but we have no choice because this celluloid material is no longer available for several reasons.

One is the cost which in my opinion is the most important. It takes a lot of money to produce and secondly in most countries they don’t like producing celluloid anymore because it’s so flammable, it can cause fire and in China itself they had many incidents with fire so the Government decided to stop this production. When this stuff burns, it burns really fast. It’s like an explosion and that is why it is not allowed on airplanes as well.

Plastic balls are safer, environmentally maybe it is not that good, but it is safer. In my opinion I think we are going to see a different kind of table tennis.

You said that this is your last 4-year term as a President of the ITTF and that you won’t run for another term in 2017. How do you picture your life after 18 years of presidency (any new goals?) and mostly can we expect Adham Sharara staying connected to table tennis?

There is a movie called ‘Something’s Gotta Give’ with Jack Nicholson where he is under so much pressure and in my case it is the same. I am doing so many things at the same time and when I was younger I had a lot of energy and a lot of time so I could do it. As I am getting older it’s all the same things but I feel that I cannot do all the things anymore, there is not enough time.

Time is the same but when you become older you do everything slower so something has to give, like in the movie. I have been in this position for 15 years so that is a very long time. Once I stop being President that will create a lot of new time for me to do other things like family and business.

Actually the Executive Committee is recommending the position for the future called Chairman to chair the Annual General Meeting because we had an incident at the last Annual General Meeting in Paris. I was the candidate and the President, also the Chairman of the meeting so that opposing candidate didn’t like this idea.

He said that I am the candidate and also chairing the meeting so I can influence the delegates to vote for me. I don’t know how to be honest but that’s how he felt. So we decided to ask the Deputy President to chair the meeting in Paris so I didn’t do it in Paris and just sat there same as other Vice-Presidents.

Therefore, this way the opponent couldn’t say that I took advantage of my position to gain more votes. After the meeting we thought that it was actually not a bad idea to have an independent chairman for the meeting. In some companies they do that, they hire a lawyer or a professional to chair the meeting and the president is then free to speak.

Our Executive Committee thought this is a good idea so we are recommending now that starting with next time that we have a chairman who has no vote and the only function of this chairman is to run the meeting. It is a role interests me.. I have done it for a very long time and it would keep me in touch with table tennis.

Marjan Hribar, President of the Slovenian Table Tennis Association, announced Slovenia’s bid to host the 2016 World Junior Championships in Ljubljana during the welcome dinner. What are your initial thoughts about that especially after the successful organization of the 2013 ITTF World Cadet Challenge in Otočec?

I am very happy that Slovenia is bidding and I really hope they succed to be honest. I can see that the Federation is very serious, young and motivated and they organize the events very well. All the reports we from the 2013 ITTF World Cadet Challenge were extremely positive.

However, the World Junior Championships is bigger than the World Cadet Challenge but not so big that it could is out of control. It is not as big as the World Championships where you need a huge organisation.

Yesterday I asked the Japanese Mr Maehara how many volunteers they have for the World Championships in Tokyo and he said that they currently have 500 already working but they need 200 more. Of course in Japan they do it to extreme. In Dortmund, 2012, they had 280 volunteers.

It means that you need around 400 depending on the country and that’s a huge number whereas at the World Junior Championships needs much less. I think that Slovenia can handle it very well. We want smaller associations to host more big events so not only the big associations like Germany, Japan or China.

Lastly how did the Executive Committee meeting go yesterday – any important decisions made and what impressed you the most during your stay in Slovenia?

We had some hard points to discuss. One was the already mentioned reduction at the World Championships because even inside the Executive Committee not everybody has same ideas. All in all the meeting was quite positive, more or less the preparation for Tokyo and also some small issues that we always have to discuss.

Everything impressed me actually. We were really well received. So first of all the hospitality is very warm and this is why I think the World Junior Championships would fit very well here because players would feel welcome.

Secondly the city of Ljubljana itself is very beautiful. Just look outside the window, you can see the city; you can see hills, the mountains and it’s really very impressive. Also on Saturday we went to Castle Otocec and the atmosphere was really good, the food was excellent. So far I am very impressed and also distances are short which is very good.

I like it very much and I would like to come back especially for relaxation in the Castle but I won’t tell you about it so that nobody will know I am here. My wife loves golf so she will go to the golf course and I will go to the spa.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2014, 22:48 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Thanks for posting MNNB. Only had a quick skim so far, but seems a lot of the same old rhetoric. Not terribly exciting stuff is it?

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2014, 23:00 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Just more double talk, lies and China-bashing from Sharara.

At least he finally admits that national associations have very little influence (other than China, Germany, etc), whereas as president he can make many changes because he can influence, he can convince and he has resources.

When he was on here he always told us to complain about ITTF changes to our national associations and that he is powerless to do anything about it.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2014, 07:49 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Adham wrote:
One of the hottest topics in table tennis at this moment is the introduction of plastic balls. How do you think the introduction of plastic balls will change the sport and do you believe that those changes are going to be beneficial?

I don’t think that new balls will change table tennis drastically. I asked many players and coaches about their opinions and they all have different opinion but in my opinion probably the change will be similar to the one when we changed from 38mm to 40mm ball.

At the beginning there will be two or three months when it is not very good and player’s level will fall but then I think in six months they will adjust and in one year it will become a second nature for them. So the first year will be tough, the same as when we went to a 40mm ball, the first few months were terrible.

Players were not adjusted. In practice players adjust very quickly but when it comes to matches automatic reactions will no doubt be the cause of many mistakes. I think the same will happen now because this ball is smoother and will have less spin; when the ball touches the table the friction will be less.

Also the plastic ball is also a little harder and faster so the game will be a little faster with less spin but I don’t know how that will look like compared to today; it could be good or it could be bad but we have no choice because this celluloid material is no longer available for several reasons.

One is the cost which in my opinion is the most important. It takes a lot of money to produce and secondly in most countries they don’t like producing celluloid anymore because it’s so flammable, it can cause fire and in China itself they had many incidents with fire so the Government decided to stop this production. When this stuff burns, it burns really fast. It’s like an explosion and that is why it is not allowed on airplanes as well.

Plastic balls are safer, environmentally maybe it is not that good, but it is safer. In my opinion I think we are going to see a different kind of table tennis.

This seems to totally contradict what he said only a few weeks ago :o :o :o

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2014, 07:54 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

haggisv wrote:
This seems to totally contradict what he said only a few weeks ago

He just makes it up as he goes along.

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2014, 12:20 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

The funny thing is his moves to make the Chinese a lesser force since 1995 has had the exact opposite reaction, its like they (the Chinese) get more inventive, work harder, plan better, copy and develope faster and set goals better and therfor have had there best period during Mr Sharara's time

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2014, 13:43 
Super User

All that talk about the Chinese looks like a smoke screen to me to distract from the real agenda. The same goes for "increasing popularity" and so on.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 21:38 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

O M G, This man does not understand the soul of table tennis, it is NOT a product, it is NOT a buisness.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2014, 09:58 
Super User

Blade: Appelgren Allplay
FH: Mark V GPS 2.0
BH: Reflectoid 2.0
foam wrote:
O M G, This man does not understand the soul of table tennis, it is NOT a product, it is NOT a buisness.

My feelings exactly.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2014, 13:46 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
foam wrote:

Well said! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!