OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 03:22

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 01 May 2014, 08:51 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX

The International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) President Mr Adham SHARARA was elected to the newly created position of "Chairman of the ITTF" today at the ITTF Annual General Meeting (AGM) held in Tokyo, Japan.

80% of the AGM delegates voted in favour of creating this position, and Mr SHARARA was voted as the first ever "Chairman of the ITTF" with 90% of the votes.
The position "Chairman of the ITTF" is an independent and non-political position without any voting or decision-making power. The "Chairman of the ITTF" will chair the ITTF AGM each year.

The new position comes into effect on 1 September 2014 at which time Mr SHARARA will retire as ITTF President, a position that he has held for the past 15 years.

At the conclusion of the AGM, the 60 year old Canadian stated: "I am very happy with the outcome. This new position is very well suited to me at this stage, and I will have the time to contribute efficiently in special focus areas needed for the further development of the ITTF. The new plan is designed to move table tennis into the top 5 sports in the world."

According to the ITTF constitution, item 1.7.1, the ITTF Deputy President Thomas WEIKERT (GER) will succeed Mr SHARARA as the ITTF President on 1 September 2014.

"I am honored to be the next ITTF President," stated Mr WEIKERT, who is also the President of the German Table Tennis Association. I have very big shoes to fill, as Adham has done a fantastic job growing the sport over the past 15 years. However, I am excited about the challenge and I am looking forward to building on the good work Adham has achieved in his Presidency."

During Mr SHARARA's 15 years as ITTF President, he has overseen major changes designed to make the ITTF more commercially viable and attractive to TV audiences.

This included changing the games from "first to 21 points" to "first to 11 points", and increasing the size of the ball from 38mm to 40mm, just to name a few.
Mr SHARARA is leaving the ITTF in good health, after being in charge since 1999. The ITTF's growth under Mr SHARARA includes:

ITTF moving up the Olympic funding table after London 2012.
ITTF's major events being broadcasted live in 110 countries.
ITTF having the third highest number of social media followers among all Olympic international federations.
ITTF currently holding over 75 events a year in all corners of the globe.
ITTF having 220 National Associations , which is the equal highest of any International Federation second highest of any sport on the planet.

The 2014 AGM was held during the ZEN-NOH 2014 World Team Table Tennis Championships, which is being held between 28 April - 5 May 2014 in Tokyo, Japan.

PostPosted: 01 May 2014, 09:17 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Who was he running against? This sounds more like a coronation than an election.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 01 May 2014, 12:29 
My Precious

FH: Joola Golden Tango
BH: Tibhar Dtecs OX
What weird situation, every committee I've ever been on has either had a chairman or a president not both. :@ :@ If so does this mean he only chairs the meetings? Weird, I agree it sounds more like a coronation :devil: :devil:

See the ball, be the ball...

PostPosted: 01 May 2014, 15:12 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

I cannot think of another time I am not proud to be Canadian. :(

PostPosted: 01 May 2014, 15:35 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

The title he chose when he was an active member of this forum was "King of Ping" if I remember correctly.

Attachments:
kingofping.jpg
kingofping.jpg [ 122.78 KiB | Viewed 2585 times ]

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

PostPosted: 01 May 2014, 19:48 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I wonder if the chairman position still comes with most of the perks that the president position comes with?

PostPosted: 01 May 2014, 21:44 
Super User

Dumb job titles are always good to have a poke at. The ITTF is dodgy as, you don't have a chairman and a president in a sports association, it's not a corporate company. So A-hole is running the board, guess we know where the coffers are going to.

Who is in charge of the bounce test? Chief of bounciness

PostPosted: 01 May 2014, 22:52 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
So who is the president now then? Surely he can't be both!

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 02 May 2014, 04:11 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Sharara is ITTF president until September, when he will be elevated to ITTF Supremo. At that time his hand-picked successor Weikert will take over as ITTF president without being elected. Therefore when the next ITTF election comes in 2017, Weikert will be a three-year incumbent.

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 02 May 2014, 04:41 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

By the way, in the Sharara tradition of conflicts of interest, ITTF President Weikert plans to continue as President of the German TT Association as well.

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 02 May 2014, 08:52 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

mynamenotbob wrote:
By the way, in the Sharara tradition of conflicts of interest, ITTF President Weikert plans to continue as President of the German TT Association as well.

Yes that certainly does seem inappropriate...