OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 18:25

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 16 May 2014, 20:03 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
ITTF Now has the Equal Most National Associations of any Sport

ITTF wrote:
The International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) now has 220 National Associations, which is the equal most of any sport in the world.
The ITTF Annual General Meeting (AGM) held in Tokyo, Japan earlier this month accepted Mali and US Virgin Islands to join the ITTF family, which brings the ITTF equal with the International Volleyball Federation (FIVB) as the world's leading sport in terms of member countries.
Reflecting on this historic achievement, ITTF's CEO Judit Farago stated: "The ITTF membership has been increased from 180 to 220 in 15 years which is an obvious result of the successful ITTF Development Program started in 1999."
"It makes us proud and happy that table tennis is played and has an established administration structure in almost every corner of the world. The fact that the number puts us equal with the FIVB in terms of membership among all International Federations is a bonus and a boost in our long-term objective to be in the top 5 sports in the Olympic movement."
There is now only five associations that have a National Olympic Committee but are not yet an ITTF National Association: Guinea Bisseau, Cape Verde, Sao Tome & Principe, Eritrea and the Bahamas.
ITTF Deputy CEO, Glenn Tepper, who initiated the ITTF Development Program 15 years ago, added: "When I started the ITTF Development Program as a pilot project in Oceania in 1999, we had 180 members. One of the challenges given to me was to have table tennis played in every corner of the globe. Since that time we have progressively added several new members each year in a sustainable way providing technical and equipment assistance to all new members. We are now very close to our initial aim. We already have contact with the 5 remaining countries and I am confident that by the time of the Opening Ceremony at the Rio Olympic Games that table tennis will be played in every corner of the globe and that every country participating in Rio will have an active table tennis program."
From the humble beginnings in 1999 with a budget of just US$30,000 and one staff, the ITTF Development Program has grown into an award-winning program with the world's best practise in its field, ran by 10 full-time and 100 part-time staff providing over 100 courses and 30 equipment packages annually and with a budget of over 1 million dollars.

I don't know about you, but I find it a little ridiculous how they seem to be so proud of this. What value does this really offer to our sport?

What's even more ridiculous is that these tiny little regions that many of us have probably not even heard off, will get the same voting rights as the big TT countries like China & Germany. If the ITTF want to get one of their new proposals through, how easy will it be for them to convince one of these small countries, that no doubt are highly dependent on ITTF funding, to vote FOR the proposal?

PostPosted: 17 May 2014, 02:07 
Super User

The best solution to the ITTF problem would be creation of a professional association like ATP in tennis. Then the ITTF would become irrelevant.

PostPosted: 17 May 2014, 20:19 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
It's a joke. The ITTF gives a small amount of tables and equipment to these tiny little islands with no established table tennis and no good players, then they set up a bogus "national association" headed by some local official who's just happy to get free stuff. The whole thing is a sham to misrepresent the popularity of table tennis to the IOC.

These puppet associations also get you reelected as ITTF President despite having numerous unaddressed corruption charges hanging over your head.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 23 May 2014, 04:14 

Here is another article on the ITTF Development Program. http://www.3wiresports.com/2014/05/20/p ... x-ba-dame/

In response to some of the previous posts in this thread, I have been involved in the ITTF Development Program since 1998, and I have never discussed politics with any of the many associations around the World that I have given ITTF Course in. In fact, the ITTF prohibits any ITTF Course Conductor from this type of discussion. I have also seen how important the development of sport programs are for the children in the smaller under-development countries. It simply changes lives. In my work with the ITTF, I have had the honor of helping brings several countries into the ITTF. In both of these cases these countries now compete in regional competitions and have developed "real" programs with strong structures. Will these very small countries ever produce top 100 World Ranked Players, probably not. Will they change the lives of many children, definitely yes.

I realize that many of the posters on this forum have axes to grind with the ITTF. However, the ITTF Development Program is recognized around the World as one of the most successful programs of any of the Sports Federations. I am currently involved with the ITTF Coaches Education Program in the USA, India, and Singapore as well as others, and the program has been very successful in each of these countries.

Coach McAfee

Joola Badman OX
Joola Ultra Express 2.0

PostPosted: 23 May 2014, 07:55 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Thank you CoachMcAfee!

I have indeed read lots of good thing about the ITTF Development Program, and I do believe it's a very good thing! I've read the work that Glen Tepper does, and it sounds fantastic, and a very worthwhile program.

However the ITTF simply seems to brag about having the most number of National association, and the fact that these Association have equal voting right to the likes of China/Germany, makes the system very vulnerable to corruption. The target seems to be just to sign up the most number is association, so that the sport can be 'best' at something... I don't really see the benefit to our sport. Perhaps in the IOC's eyes this is a good thing to get more funding?

PostPosted: 23 May 2014, 08:36 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

I think it is great with the number of Countries involved, and while I do agree it is great for children and adults from all these smaller Countries reguardless of funds, I do think that their votes will go to the current ITTF heads, because (well just because)

The other thing is at the same time more Counties are on line, less Countries (AND PLAYERS) will be allowed to go to the World team competitions`In the future

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 24 May 2014, 17:30 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

According to the article, the ITTF is targeting Guinea Bisseau, Cape Verde, Sao Tome & Principe, Eritrea and the Bahamas next. Take that volleyball!!!

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

PostPosted: 24 May 2014, 18:08 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Two of the current ITTF member associations are the countries of Tokelau (total population 1,100) and Niue (total population 1,500). There are many US cities with 100 TIMES the population that can't even sustain a club, let alone an active national association.

It's good that table tennis is played in these places. But the ITTF has also made it clear they don't care about recreational players and non-ITTF competition. So it seems to me that the dozens of ITTF-founded "national associations" in tiny countries among the 220 seem to exist only for Judit Farago to brag someday that the ITTF is bigger than volleyball.

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 24 May 2014, 19:40 

Maybe ITTF is just proud that http://philsports.ph/ittf-gaining-more-associations-around-the-world/

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!