OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 16:06

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2019, 07:57 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

This notification for umpires has emerged recently July 7, 2019. Very intriguing info, indeed.
https://ittf.cdnomega.com/eu/2019/07/EqNews1.pdf
Quote:
"Low friction pimples-out are not ITTF authorized".
What reason is behind the notes, I wonder so much.
How could umpire know if the pimps belong to the "low-friction" category ? What exactly boundaries should be for the "low-friction" category ??????????

Is ITTF going to adopt some pimples friction tests for major events?

Last edited by igorponger on 16 Jul 2019, 14:11, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2019, 11:35 
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
So what does this mean? How does an official objectively enforce this? There must be more than this cryptic statement. (I checked Igor's link and he has pretty much quoted it verbatim).

If it happens in the litigious US of A without the proper change in rules / regulations, I imagine that there may be a law suit or two to follow.
No names, no pack drill.

Alternatively, they could remove the rule / regulation that a minimum friction rule apply to pimples out rubber at the time of manufacture.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2019, 13:34 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

https://ittf.cdnomega.com/eu/2019/07/EqNews1.pdf

That URL is suspicious. The server domain is actually "cdnomega.com", who knows who it belongs to. The fact that it says "ittf" in the beginning means nothing - anyone can name a server anything they like. If it's an official ITTF announcement wouldn't it be posted on ITTF's own web site? I suspect this is a prank. The vagueness of it would then make sense.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2019, 14:53 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I suspect it's legit... it's likely a CDN for the ITTF. They would use CDNs for their video, so probably for their other content too.

CDN: "A content delivery network (CDN) is a system of distributed servers (network) that deliver pages and other web content to a user, based on the geographic locations of the user, the origin of the webpage and the content delivery server."

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2019, 15:26 
Super User

Blade: Hugo Calderano OFF+
FH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
BH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
even if its legit, I cant see ANY local organisation enforcing this at all. Too many administrative hold ups

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2019, 17:47 
Super User

Blade: Barna Original Triumph
FH: Yasaka Rakza PO max.
BH: DMS Störkraft 0.8
there are several "low friction" pimples out there that are ittf approved. total nonsense as usual from the ittf

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2019, 18:01 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Could it be about approved pips rubber that have been well used (perhaps in the sun) and therefore have lower friction than it was suposed to?

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2019, 02:16 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

haggisv wrote:
I suspect it's legit... it's likely a CDN for the ITTF. They would use CDNs for their video, so probably for their other content too.

CDN: "A content delivery network (CDN) is a system of distributed servers (network) that deliver pages and other web content to a user, based on the geographic locations of the user, the origin of the webpage and the content delivery server."

Sure, it might be a CDN, but then wouldn't they disguise the URL? Especially if it's an official announcement? I'm sure all that video content on ITTF's web page, and indeed all of YouTube itself, is all served off CDNs, there's no other way it'd work worldwide without saturating the international fiber links and with horrible buffering, but you never see the URLs of the actual physical CDNs. I do see two or three other pages on that server that are table tennis related, but those seem to be admin stuff for the Korean Open. Maybe this is part of a backchannel service for people who manage tournaments and this is a stray page which no one except these officials were supposed to see, perhaps it's supposed to appear on another URL and part of another set of pages which we can't see, or maybe it's a placeholder or work in progress. One wonders how Igor gets to know about these stray pages, but there you have it. Even if it's what it looks like, it's probably worthless in any case.

Now assuming it's not a hoax, or a troll by you-know-who, which I suspect - how does ITTF manage frictionless rubbers at tournaments? First of all, no one can use a rubber that's not on the LARC, and have been submitted for testing at ITTF's labs. All of these rubbers will be above the stated minimum friction. So why bother telling referees this, when they know it already? I suppose rubbers can be put out in the sun and such, but unless there's something in the Racket Control Room toolkit to actually measure friction, again, there's no point telling referees this.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2019, 03:46 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Of course for smaller events it's very hard to test for.

Here is just a video I found about testing friction. Seems that it would be easy to do with the right equipment.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2019, 22:08 

Blade: DMS Revolution
FH: RITC 802-1 OX
BH: Spinlab Vortex 0.5mm
Sure looks like the ITTF is going to adopt friction tests. Here is a request for bids on devices to do that onsite at ITTF tournaments.

https://ittf.cdnomega.com/eu/2019/08/TE ... rement.pdf

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2019, 22:31 
Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Dawei 388d1 ox/ BT ox???
We would like to know the reasons of this statement : " Pimpled Table Tennis Rubber Friction Measurement : The ITTF has deemed low-friction pimples-out rubber to be damaging to the sport."

why? why? why? why? :lol: :lol: :lol: . Better laugh than cry !!!

From hardbatpower 's post : https://ittf.cdnomega.com/eu/2019/08/TE ... rement.pdf

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2019, 23:56 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

charmander defender wrote:
We would like to know the reasons of this statement : " Pimpled Table Tennis Rubber Friction Measurement : The ITTF has deemed low-friction pimples-out rubber to be damaging to the sport."

From hardbatpower 's post : https://ittf.cdnomega.com/eu/2019/08/TE ... rement.pdf

A while ago, ITTF laboratory took some studies on how much friction would go off with regular use of
the rubbers. This image is to depict friction distribution across long-pimples pattern at the end of 2-week training camp. A notable uneveness of external wear can be clearly seen. Large area of the pattern has got all worn (loss of friction) and producing erratical and unpredictable bounce. Likewise, some greasy residue got amassed on the pimples tips/
Attachment:
worn_area-Annotated_1.jpg
worn_area-Annotated_1.jpg [ 42.73 KiB | Viewed 10950 times ]

Be happy.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2019, 00:41 
Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Dawei 388d1 ox/ BT ox???
igorponger wrote:
charmander defender wrote:

A while ago, ITTF laboratory took some studies on how much friction would go off with regular use of
the rubbers. This image is to depict friction distribution across long-pimples pattern at the end of 2-week training camp. A notable uneveness of external wear can be clearly seen. Large area of the pattern has got all worn (loss of friction) and producing erratical and unpredictable bounce. Likewise, some greasy residue got amassed on the pimples tips/
Attachment:
worn_area-Annotated_1.jpg

Be happy.

Sooooo, it means we must use a brand new rubber every time we play in an ittf tournament,....ludicrous!!!! :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2019, 02:54 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
I've long ago deemed the ITTF to be damaging to the sport.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2019, 07:37 

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Although I oppose Pushblocker in some things, I agree with him that any introduction of friction tests for pimple rubber at any tournament governed by ITTF rules and regulations is legally indefensible, as the so-called minimum friction rule for pimple rubber is only for manufacturers to have their rubber approved, not for testing at tournaments. For it to be tested at tournaments there would need to be a change to the laws of table tennis which would be voted on at an AGM and require more than a simple majority to pass.

Has anyone seen the minutes for the 2019 ITTF AGM and BoD meetings? Would one of these contain the change? How I am not sure as the agenda / proposals for these meetings did not contain anything to do with measurement of friction at tournaments as far as I can remember?

This is where I would expect them to appear:
https://documents.ittf.sport/

That URL only has documents up to the WTTC Playing System & Prospectus for this year so far. These meetings would have occurred during this event.