OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:46

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2014, 16:17 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

ROFL...

http://www.distancegolfball.com/Guide/I ... Golf-Balls

Apparently some of the stuff that goes on in the golf world parallels our own when it comes to equipment. Though there aren't companies (yet) that sell, for instance, too-thick sponge. These "super distance" balls remind me of carbon rackets, in a way - some of us who can't generate the sort of power the pros can compensate by using fast equipment, even though control suffers. Then there's the story of the "Lady Ball". I heard this on NPR years ago. Apparently there was a legal golf balls designed for people who can't produce the sort of power drives the pros can. These balls apparently don't break the distance rules - which means they don't give the Tiger Woods of this world any advantage over any other ball, but for those people with weak golf swings (in other words - most rec players!) it gives a little extra distance. Unfortunately, the maker of these balls made the unfortunate decision to market it as a golf ball for WOMEN. Which meant that most manly man players wouldn't be caught DEAD using one, even if it would help their game. Or they would, except they'd get them mail order in unmarked plain brown boxes, or sneak into pro shops outside the town where they live and whisper something about wanting to buy that "Lady Ball". And they wouldn't let others examine the balls they were using, or somehow disguise them.

Double ROFL:

http://thesandtrap.com/t/45292/is-it-il ... for-ladies

And this comparison table has ALMOST as much mumbo jumbo in it as you find in table tennis catalogs:

http://www.distancegolfball.com/Guide/D ... Comparison

Iskandar

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2014, 17:59 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Baal wrote:
It is bizarre to not use just one ball for the entire event, since in the US there is not really the same separation between amateur and professional players that there are in say, China or Europe. How many US team members in recent years actually make a living out of table tennis? There are four former US Men's team players who play at my club (three are close friends of mine for a long time). One is an engineer. Two are physical therapists, one is a middle school teacher. A lot of the people who normally play in events that determine US teams also play in rating events, not just cadets and juniors, but adults too. Organizers of course know this, it has always been true. That is why this is a really strange decision. It could potentially have a large negative impact on the attendance of the open events.

They could choose to use Nittaku plastic (which I think is a good ball form limited experience). Or they could use Nittaku celluloid. I would be ok either way. If the costs are prohibitive to use the plastic ball or if they can't guarantee enough of them (a) this says a lot about the decisions made by ITTF and (b) then just use celluloid.

This splitting things down the middle just makes no sense to me. I am trying to figure out a reasonable justification, and I just can't see one that holds water.

USATT has now decided to use the plastic Nittaku Premium (Japan) 40+ ball for all events. This is much better than what they had decided to do before. Only problem is that at the moment these balls are not yet generally available. They will be on sale sometime next month. Hopefully they will be as good as the small number of balls that they had released for people to try.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2014, 19:35 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Baal wrote:
USATT has now decided to use the plastic Nittaku Premium (Japan) 40+ ball for all events.

That's just for the Nationals correct? As far as I know most regular USATT tournaments are still using celluloid.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2014, 14:29 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
Baal wrote:
USATT has now decided to use the plastic Nittaku Premium (Japan) 40+ ball for all events.

That's just for the Nationals correct? As far as I know most regular USATT tournaments are still using celluloid.

In my area, the most recent tournament used celluloid. The ne before that used a polyball, as will the next one. Both kinds of balls are legal. It is up to the tournament organizers. I haven't followed what is happening outside of my area.