OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 18:19

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2016, 07:16 
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
This is a potted look at the proposals. The full proposals are here:
http://www.ittf.com/World_Events/wttc_2016/AGM_BoD/2016_ITTF_AGM_BoD_EN.pdf

AGM
Proposal 9, Hong Kong, Delete 2.4.2 which is the rule regarding make up of the blade
My comment: blade could be anything at all

Proposal 10, Athletes Commission, Amend 2.4.3 to allow thickness of sponge plus top sheet to be 4.25 mm rather than 4.00 mm
My comment: This was also proposed in 2015, and is supposed to take boosters & tuning out and shoot them

Proposal 11, UAE TTC, Remove 2.9.1.1 so that a net on serve is no longer a let.
My comment: is supposed to make the game more exciting and decrease stoppages !

Proposal 12, USA TT, Add 2.10.1.6 to allow a point to be scored if the opponent deliberately disturbs conditions of play so that it affects the outcome of the rally.
My comment: Yet another decision for the umpire - Was it deliberate?

Proposal B, Swiss TT, Test whether an increase in net height would be good. As a result net height change could be introduced in 2017 for 2018.
My comment: This was passed according to My TT reading of Malaysian newspapers.

BOD
Proposal 13, Japan TTA, 1. Change how inverted rubber is authorised to include Pyrolysis Chromatograph Analyser & bounce test; 2. Change racket control to include bounce test with protests to be decided by Pyrolysis Chromatograph Analyser
My comment: Attempt to catch out non-manufacturer boosting/tuning. What about 'special editions' eg CNT with National or personalised versions of Hurricane that are reputedly different from over the counter?

Proposal 21, Rules Committee, allow advice from anyone except during rallies and not to delay play.
My comment: Yet another decision for the umpire - did it delay play?

Proposal 22, Rules Committee, similar to 21 if 21 not passed but only from the authorised adviser
My comment: This is a little better than 21.

Proposal 26, Fiji TTA, Changes to how long a player who changes country may not represent their new country, depending on how old they were when they emigrated
My comment: Seems OK.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2016, 10:20 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Thanks for the summary Retriever! :up:

Retriever wrote:

I can see some logic in this.

Retriever wrote:
Proposal 13, Japan TTA, 1. Change how inverted rubber is authorised to include Pyrolysis Chromatograph Analyser & bounce test; 2. Change racket control to include bounce test with protests to be decided by Pyrolysis Chromatograph Analyser
My comment: Attempt to catch out non-manufacturer boosting/tuning. What about 'special editions' eg CNT with National or personalised versions of Hurricane that are reputedly different from over the counter?

I sure hope this does not pass...I can see fast rising costs for such an implimentation, with a high degree of false positives, branding the innocent players are cheaters...

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2016, 11:47 
Super User

Blade: Acoustic Carbon Inner ST
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Rakza Z
I'm dismayed by the proposal to increase net height. It may force some changes in serve/receive, but I don't see it altering the balance of power among players from different countries (i.e., China will still dominate).

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2016, 16:17 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
hangdog wrote:
I'm dismayed by the proposal to increase net height. It may force some changes in serve/receive, but I don't see it altering the balance of power among players from different countries (i.e., China will still dominate).

Flat hitters will most likely be the ones to suffer. I don't see there being as many of these at pro level, more likely grassroots.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2016, 23:22 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
hangdog wrote:

Flat hitters will most likely be the ones to suffer. I don't see there being as many of these at pro level, more likely grassroots.

I hate to be overly positive.....but maybe this may help breed a new generation of classic defenders...

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2016, 01:39 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
leatherback wrote:
I hate to be overly positive.....but maybe this may help breed a new generation of classic defenders...

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I was thinking the same way. Hits being less threatening, more spin in the game = slower game = classic & modern defense might benefit from this. However, I hope they don't take it too far. I don't want to go back 50 years ago when the defensive play dominated. Create an environment in which every style can win, so everyone who is talented to play TT has an equal chance to win a game.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2016, 02:57 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Quote:

What a terrible idea.

Pros would serve into the top of the net at will. Yes this can be practiced - in fact it's type of practice used to get your serves lower. It would be part of the strategy: will a player go for a net ball or serve long? Would be a disaster of a rule and in the end even more advantage to serving.

I can imagine the finals of the Olympics being decided by a player in game 7 at 10-11 serving a ball that dribbles over the net. Ugh.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2016, 03:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
hangdog wrote:

This makes me think a little bit about basketball and the three point line. In high school it's at one spot, in college it's at another spot and in the pro's its even further back.

Could it be possible the height of the net could be determined by the level of play or at least the organization itself? Perhaps in the pros another cm up would make it more watchable? Worth testing I think.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2016, 03:19 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
wilkinru wrote:
Quote:

What a terrible idea.

Pros would serve into the top of the net at will. Yes this can be practiced - in fact it's type of practice used to get your serves lower. It would be part of the strategy: will a player go for a net ball or serve long? Would be a disaster of a rule and in the end even more advantage to serving.

I can imagine the finals of the Olympics being decided by a player in game 7 at 10-11 serving a ball that dribbles over the net. Ugh.

Agreed. Terrible idea that supports an ugly game.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2016, 03:23 

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
wilkinru wrote:
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
hangdog wrote:

This makes me think a little bit about basketball and the three point line. In high school it's at one spot, in college it's at another spot and in the pro's its even further back.

Could it be possible the height of the net could be determined by the level of play or at least the organization itself? Perhaps in the pros another cm up would make it more watchable? Worth testing I think.

I would like this rule as a chopper and (Mostly) Classical defender.

As for allowing for differing heights for differing levels fo play...no. Just no. It's best to have one standard of court so one can compare apples to apples. If you do it for the pros, do it for the amateurs.

This is one thing I think basketball gets wrong NBA vs. NCAA vs. International courts with the 3 point line and the shape/size of the key and lane. Keep it all the same so the games can translate. IF you make it so there can be multiple forms of court, the games wont translate and it further silos talent to being specialized to those court configurations.

For example, you wouldn't want to create an environment where choppers are more effective in international events, but not in USATT events. You also wouldln't want a style to dominate in a given geographical location just because they have different net standards.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2016, 08:19 
Super User

Blade: Hallmark Aurora
FH: Haifu Dolphin
BH: Pogo
Someone at my club brought this up about the change to the net height. I am really surprised. I am new to this sport and really don't understand why the governing body insists on imitating the National Football League in America which changes rules every season. At least the NFL has a rational basis, i.e., player safety.

Do any short pips players or flat hit attackers have any thoughts or suggestions? I understand at the highest levels even minor changes will have dramatic consequences. But at the club level, do you think a short pip player who is a flat placement hitter will have to make serious changes (like stop playing pips) or would it just require 'adjustment.'

Sorry for sounding so negative but it really surprised me that such a major change would come considering the scoring and ball changes all happened in the 2000s. I just want to know if I should give up playing pip outs and just be like everyone else.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2016, 11:57 

Hi gus_goose,

This is not actually a proposal to make the net higher. It is to take a close look at how high above the net rally (not serve or serve return) shots go and based on that, possibly, in another year propose to change the height of the net. At least that is my reading of the proposal linked to in the first post.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2016, 02:43 
Super User

So you think this will only mostly affect serves?

Is there a way to send opinions to ITTF about their proposals?

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2016, 08:38 

Hi gus_goose,

No, I don't think it would only affect serves. My reading of the proposal is to see how high most rally balls (by pros) are going over the existing net and think about raising the height of the net so that it supposedly won't affect the rally shots. Of course it will as no-one is a robot and so rally shots will have to be higher to add room for imperfect shots - more common for you and me than the pros.

Yes, feedback is via your national body. For me that is Table Tennis Australia. For you I am not sure as you don't have your location in the details beside your posts.

I don't know that the ITTF equipment committee, board of directors etc "listen" to stray emails from non professional players or feedback on the web site for this kind of thing. Even an online petition may not get anywhere. I believe one was attempted re the introduction of the poly ball.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2016, 11:33 
Super User

Thanks for all the info. I'm just not going to worry about it since there's nothing I can really do.