OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:04

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017, 05:50 
Dances with Spammers
Dances with Spammers

Blade: Darker Speed 90 Jpen
FH: Dawei Inspirit Quattro UL
Guys, I just read this today: Over the last few years there has been a lot of discussion whether to change the net height in table tennis. After successful trials in Germany the ITTF have today announced, that the net height will be raised by 1cm as of October 1st 2017!

Any ideas about why this is being done and any views on how this will affect the game? Good for the game? Doesn't seem like a major adjustment does it? Or am I wrong.

And hi everyone :). Its been a while.

Local Press Club (Journalists) Champion

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!!!!
http://xtrariter.blogspot.com

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017, 05:53 
Super User

Blade: Barna Original Triumph
FH: Yasaka Rakza PO max.
BH: DMS Störkraft 0.8
its quite obviously an april fools joke

:^)

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017, 07:48 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
The avatar is strong in this one.

No, he's not working blue :).

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017, 08:58 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
The proposal is real and is made by the Swiss Federation. Trials are run, but it would be strange it would come into effect starting from October this year. Where did you read this info, Ranger-man?

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017, 09:10 
Dances with Spammers
Dances with Spammers

I saw it here..hope it is ok to post an external link - sorry Haggis :P - https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/foru ... tober-2017!

But I think I have been fooled, lol.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017, 10:38 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Welcome back Ranger-man :party: , have not seen you around for a while. You picked a good day to come back. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017, 20:55 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Ranger-man wrote:
I saw it here..hope it is ok to post an external link - sorry Haggis :P - https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/foru ... tober-2017!

But I think I have been fooled, lol.

Yes, I think it's an April's fool, but it's not a good one. It might happen within the following years.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2017, 23:45 
Dances with Spammers
Dances with Spammers

haggisv wrote:
Welcome back Ranger-man :party: , have not seen you around for a while. You picked a good day to come back. :lol: :lol: :lol:

hehe its good to be back mate. Also getting back into the game after a few years. I seem to have forgotten it all. :P Or maybe it is just age hahaha.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2017, 01:51 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

First heard about this proposal a year or more ago. Apparently the rationale was that loopers (and some choppers) tend to put the ball way over the net anyway. The problem is, I think, it'll affect other aspects of the game, such as serve and serve return, and there are shots and playing styles that DON'T send the ball high over the net (e.g. flat hitters, pips out hitters, pushers, etc. Also, arc or no arc, how many times have you seen the ball clip the net cord during games? A lot. The outcome of matches often are decided by these. Now those shots will hit the net, and there will be other (higher) shots that will hit the net cord. Looping or hitting against backspin will also be harder.

If the intention is to favor defense, sure, but say so when stating the rationale. Saying it's because people tend to hit the ball way over net height anyway is no reason at all.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2017, 21:31 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

GET YOUR HANDS OFF THE TABLE TENNIS NET.

SWISS SHALL NOT PASS !!!

I like this old martial artpicture. Looks so impressive.. It makes my spirit raising up... and my heart druming ..

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2017, 04:16 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Lifting the net? How far? This proposal looks one continues folly, I am afraid. Lifting it by 1 cm would have no perceptible effect, and the raising by 2 cm is an obstacle.

THE THINNER SPONGE WOULD MEET THE GOAL BEST OF ALL.

Back in 1999, ITTF had designed the Continued Improvement Plan to eventually make the sport public attractive by slowing the pace of the game somehow. Again, it were hoped to reduce the distressing abundance of the errors in play.

It is an open-ended plan, with no fixed end-date, to be prolonged over and over again depending on whether the results have got satisfactory.
According to the Plan, there are THREE possible directions to slow down the speed-rate of the game.

(1) -- using a bigger ball ( FAILED by now ).
(2) -- using a higher net
(3) -- using a thinner sponge on the sandwiched rubbers.

Proposition (1) did yield no good results so far, no reduction of the ball speed was achieved since the year 2000. Moreover, the 40mm ball was steadely getting even faster ever since 2008 (the year that Tenergy rubber was launched on market) largely because the super bouncy rubbers and oily liquid accelerants still allowed to use. The frequency of errors has grown badly.

Of the three, the no.(3) proposition looks the best effective. I strongly believe the thinner sponge could produce a better controlled play, less frequency of the errors, and many prolonged rallies are expected as the end result. That we all desire so much. Again, the proposition is the easiest to apply and control for any tournaments.. ITTF should give it a serious consideration as soon as possible.

Proposition (2) looks the least reasonable.. The raised net should cause a lot of the "net-ball" errors to occur in play, Do we need errors and lapses to occur still more frequently? Don't think so...

-------------
For the complete document of "THE CONTROL OF RACKET COVERINGS" dated as 1999, see OOAK forums here.
viewtopic.php?p=140729&sid=cf54219b6f07022900071539607d1979#p140729
The doc was removed from ITTF free-access database a while ago for some reasons. So good it is still available from OOAK in full entirity.