OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 15:34

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 962 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65  Next
PostPosted: 23 Aug 2023, 19:45 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
The Brothers Gibb were originally from Britain, Isle of Man and Manchester, before the family emigrated to Australia, back in the days was Australia was eager for immigrants (my own family went in 1955 and returned 10 years later). They formed the group in the late 50s and in the early 60s were a regular act on Australian TV shows. In those days, because of rights issues and lack of music videos, the Bee Gees were the go-to group to cover the Beatles songs. They returned to England in 1967. Andy Gibb had a separate and shorter career and died in 1988, from heart falure, probably caused by cocaine abuse.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2023, 20:44 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
darucla wrote:
The Brothers Gibb were originally from Britain, Isle of Man and Manchester, before the family emigrated to Australia, back in the days was Australia was eager for immigrants (my own family went in 1955 and returned 10 years later). They formed the group in the late 50s and in the early 60s were a regular act on Australian TV shows. In those days, because of rights issues and lack of music videos, the Bee Gees were the go-to group to cover the Beatles songs. They returned to England in 1967. Andy Gibb had a separate and shorter career and died in 1988, from heart falure, probably caused by cocaine abuse.

Thanks for the history.. I didn't know most of this! :(

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2023, 18:17 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

By now, some of you (the ones who've actually been in one of these stores) is probably screaming and running out of the room.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

These started in Japan (they're called "Don Quijote" there), showed up maybe 3 or 4 years ago in Singapore and in the last couple of years turned up here (there's one about 3 miles from where I live and another in Bukit Bintang in the heart of KL), and there are probably a few more. I was planning a trip to Japan right before COVID hit and visiting a Don Quijote was one of the things I wanted to do, probably less so now since there are local ones. This was one of the videos I watched back then:

The ones in Japan are supposedly the best place to find weird Kit-kats. And truth be told, I haven't come across the Sappy underwear here yet.. :lol:

The (very much extended) Japanese version of the song:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2023, 17:32 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Now for something more cerebral, especially if you think you lost a few brain cells from my previous post. I found this absolutely fascinating, I had no idea it existed. If you've ever watched dystopian science fiction movies like Metropolis, or Blade Runner, or Judge Dredd, a place like that actually did exist.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2023, 18:37 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Anyone remember this videogame?

I remember watching others play this - there were video games in the room adjoining where there were two table tennis tables set up in a dorm basement. I was too poor to spend money on video games.

The game had a laserdisc in it, and switched from chapter to chapter depending on the choices you made. If you made the wrong move, it would play the scene where "Cliff" gets hanged and the game would end. The movie this is based on is an old classic and is a great watch.

Really horrible voice dubbing. "Will the princess be forced to marry someone she can't stand?" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2023, 19:12 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Even Chuck Norris can't do this (or can he?).. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2023, 19:42 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Wow. 1920s science fiction movies sure were weird.

I suppose those new AI tools that animate old photos was used to create this. This channel is full of similar videos.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2023, 18:29 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Came across this channel a couple days ago. Fascinating look at older technologies.

This video covers a LOT of ground - he goes off on an extended tangent on the history of punched cards. Something I got very familiar with when I first started writing code in the 1980s (FORTRAN 4 back then), which all went away in the space of 2-3 years, to be replaced by computer terminals and electronic files. There were rooms full of card punch machines, card sorters, card duplicators, some of them very large. And if you had a need for them, as many cards as you'd like to walk away with. By the way, the card-programmed loom he's got in the video - looms like that were still in use when I visited Hanoi maybe 10 years ago - they were used to weave silk.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2023, 14:03 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

Yes, I did the punched cards, PL/1, Fortran 77...over 40 years ago.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2023, 16:35 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
iskandar taib wrote:
Even Chuck Norris can't do this (or can he?).. :lol:

Iskandar
How could you even consider that question? Chuck can do them all!

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2023, 20:43 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

How to ruin Thanksgiving dinner... :lol:

Ruining Thanksgiving dinner has been a long running joke on this channel. It's got to do with the fact that, these days, Thanksgiving dinner is a pretty tense affair in many American families, usually the arguments centering around one particular topic. He gives some pretty good advice.

(Actually, last year's version below was more entertaining.. the one above has some good advice, but the first half, at least, isn't about the usual stuff about the Great Divide..)

Iskandar

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2023, 19:01 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Interesting! My guess this is in Bangladesh or in Myanmar. Prize, I think, is cooking oil - the runners-up get small bottles, the thing in the middle is the first place prize. If I owned a cooking oil company this would be a great thing to sponsor. Looks like a great game to organize for a picnic or scout camp..

Iskandar

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2023, 15:40 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

This has become my favorite food vlogging channel - and they've really outdone themselves for this video.

It's not just about food. Watch this all the way through.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2023, 19:59 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

These music analysis videos pop up from time to time. I don't pretend to know what they're talking about most of the time, but some of them are quite interesting. I've always loved Jo Stafford singing this, so I decided to watch the video. What's even MORE interesting is the Bee Gees cover about half way through the video. :lol:

Warning - if you watch this, you'll start get random videos featuring all manner of people singing this song popping up, including the one from Shrek (which is quite good).

Iskandar

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2023, 16:01 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

First Beau, now Colbert.. :lol:

Sorry if this is overtly political. It's also terribly funny. And has Liam Neeson in it.

Iskandar

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 962 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65  Next