OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 17 Apr 2024, 03:20

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2016, 22:21 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I'm sure there are a lot of parents on the forum, and also a lot of tech/cyber savvy people. I would include myself in this group, but I also know that pulling together thoughts from real people with real experience has few substitutes. I have a daughter approaching the age where social media interaction becomes attractive (if she's not already there). I think legally a child needs to be 13 to have a social media account of any type, but this is easily gotten around. And a child doesn't even need to create an account to have one in their name, as another child (or older) can set it up un-beknown to them or their parents. This can be done innocently for some fun, or with malicious intent. Teenagers or younger children can expose themselves to suck risks that they have no idea about. The schools are introducing some education about things like cyberbullying and so forth, but I think the issues go beyond what a child can be taught at their age.

So I figured if we have a thread here on the forum where ideas, for protecting our kids in an online environment, are shared must be a useful thing. Obviously, the easiest way to protect them is to just keep them off the internet. Unfortunately, I don't think this is a realistic solution in this day and age.

So feel free to contribute any thoughts or ideas on the subject and share any experiences you may have had.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2016, 10:05 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
As A Dad of 3 yo daughter,

I learn that,

I am not Her father 24 * 7.

When I can, I witness Her surfing anything She like, beside Her.

I only prepare the Infrastructure, parental control, etc, and only vetoed when I deemed the site are too mature for Her.

Well, I live in the kind of family that let me read City Hunter at 5 yo. ;)

So, conceptually, I let Her learn what good and not, rather than doing all the protection Myself. :D

Sent from my S5G using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2016, 05:39 

Blade: Stiga Clipper CC
FH: DHS H3
BH: Xiom Vega Japan
13?? I'd say 21. 13s are dumb 21s smart

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2016, 09:44 
Super User

Blade: Acoustic Carbon Inner ST
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Rakza Z
Our children's primary school teaches "cybersafety" (which, as it turns out, isn't how to defend yourself from Cybermen) from the start, so that takes some of the pressure off us. Apart from not giving the children access to devices with social media apps, and locking down a few settings here and there, no problems so far. Yes, there will be more problems when they reach their teens…

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2016, 12:31 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Instead of stopping them, I take the approach to allow them to register an account (with facebook, forums, etc), and then discuss the dangers with them. By allowing them to register an account, they are quite open to discussing details and dangers, while if I tried to stop them, they may well find a secret way of opening one anyway, and then they would avoid talking about it at all costs.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2016, 01:19 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
haggisv wrote:
Instead of stopping them, I take the approach to allow them to register an account (with facebook, forums, etc), and then discuss the dangers with them. By allowing them to register an account, they are quite open to discussing details and dangers, while if I tried to stop them, they may well find a secret way of opening one anyway, and then they would avoid talking about it at all costs.

Very wise approach Haggisv! I started this thread because some of my daughter's school friends have Facebook accounts at age 9 or 10 (which I do think is too young). One of them created an account in my daughter's name without my permission or her mothers (and I'm pretty sure not even my daughters). I've gotten her to delete it, by pointing out to her mother it is against the law to effectively steal someone's identity, but it is a concern (and not just for kids).

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.