OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 00:49

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2013, 18:54 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2013, 19:17 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

I spent some time in the USA myself. Louisiana and Texas are quite accurate to the movie in the cities!. Bit of a dump and full of unfortunate homeless people, seen more people off their face on drugs in a few months than I've seen in my whole life here. That's the impression I took home with me from the states. Californians tell me everything's sweet over there but I can only judge on the places I've been. I guess the North Koreans didn't go to California either.

My idea is that citizens of the US that live in suburbia prefer to stay in their well off suburb and ignore the realitys and problems the country has faced for a very long time now.

I bet the North Koreans wouldn't be brave enough to walk around the dodgy areas of New Orleans at night, had me jittery that's for sure.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2013, 19:45 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

reminded me of election videos, propaganda to the limit,

I wonder if it has ever been reversed?

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2013, 19:55 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Don't believe 'em. California has plenty of dangerous areas also.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2013, 20:34 
Chop or I'll Shoot
Chop or I'll Shoot

Now bullshit like this really pisses me off. I don't know where you stayed in those states Foam but that is not America. I'm not saying we don't have that here. But show me a country that doesn't have that. That video was probably pieced together from different things that have happened across the world. I'm going to look at that clip a few more times to see if it's even in the states.

USATT Rating: 1869

MOLON LABE!!!

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2013, 21:59 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

I stay mostly in a town called Berwick it want so bad, but my expeditions into the bigger cities were a real eye opener.

The first person I met upon arriving in the states in Dallas was a homeless woman while I was waiting outside to airport four the bus. I think actually everyone on the bus was homeless or crazy or both. In fact I dont think I met anyone that day that wasn't homeless. I ended up being shown how to get to the greyhound bus stop via some subway by the same woman and then I went to Austin. Here I found some more crazy people and then I went to Mexico for a few months before I returned to the states (that's when I lived in Louisiana) anyone can tell me what they want about the states, but I've lived there for an extended amount of time and its NOTHING like other western countries. In the states the difference between the haves and have nots is as large or larger than the 3rd world. No jokes, its quite bad.

Of course I understand a lot of people are very well off etc. But for me the most important thing in a country is how well does the least well off person live and in that respect its not crash hot. And if you go there as a traveller from another place where walking and taking trains and buses is the normal way to travel you'll be in for a pretty rude shock when you find that in the states public transport is mostly used for shelter.

Stranger still was how whenever I told anyone I was going to Mexico the all told me it was dangerous etc, I never felt scared in Mexico even in cities where I was obviously not a local, in one large city I was the only person with blonde hair and blue eyes I saw in a month... But still no one gave me any trouble. Was a bit weird not speak in to anyone for a couple months. One thing.. I never got sick in the states :) can't say the same for Mexico because I got trashed health wise there.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2013, 22:55 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
Show me a very large city in any country and there will be homeless and "bad" areas. That is a given. But to say America is any more "dangerous" than other countries is laughable. There is no mass rioting in the streets, burning and looting of home and stores, nothing like that. Yes, there are poverty stricken areas, but anywhere in the world, including places like London, Paris, etc. you will find the same.

Yes, taking the bus is something that mostly is done by the lower income classes, so of course your impression is going to be clouded by that. Unfortunately, one of the things you are right about is the public transportation system. Unlike most developed nations, we do not have very good public transportation in most cities. There are some exceptions, like New York, San Francisco, Chicago and Seattle.

Here in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin area (about 90 miles north of Chicago) public transportation is used at a very minimal level and mostly by lower income people who need to get to work. There is, however, an attitude by those in the suburbs about the "dangerous" city. I know many people that live in the 'burbs and all they think happens is people getting mugged and beaten and r**** all the time. In fact, a lot of those beliefs are built off of racism, because out in the 'burbs it's almost completely white, while in the city is a mix of races. There is a fear of the city in our suburbs among many people, I hear all the time how there is "nothing of interest" for them in the city, even though there are a ton of great local businesses that are flourishing. Rather, these people tend to focus on the few bad apples that hit the news, like you seem to be focusing on. There are a lot of great things and good people in the cities, and I'm proud to live in a blue-collar, urban environment. I have no interest in living in the 'burbs, where it's full of chain restaurants and a 45 minute drive to anything of interest for me.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2013, 23:45 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
Only a nation that keeps it's people in ignorance through tight control could launch a ridiculous video like that!

Absolutely full of lies!

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2013, 04:19 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

I like to keep it real when I travel, I don't go to suburbs. Suburbs are the same anywhere. I like to either be in the middle of the city or in the remote country. I dont stay in hotels, only hostels or camping, sometimes renting a room in the city downtown. And only travel by train/bus. You see for an Australian this is normal but it doesn't work in the states. All my friends that have gone there have come back with the same impression.

One player in my TT club actually went to San Francisco for a work trip and told me during his morning run he was practicality hurdling over people asleep on the paths and came across heaps of people living under bridges. He's impression was it wasn't good and hes never going back. Another friend went there for a holiday and she had to cut the trip short said it was so depressing. Now I have nothing bad to say about my homeless buddies I met because they were good honest people towards me, although some were clearly mentally disturbed so I avoided them. but the point is I don't rate the government that put them in that position very highly at all.

Being the way I am I tend to see things suburbians don't see their entire life but it seems to me Australians are naturally going to uncover this stuff just because we tend to be very happy to walk around and use public transport in everyday life. OK mean I use the train and trams to get to tournaments in Melbourne since its so much easier than driving. The difference is, in Melbourne trains are full of suited office workers and uni students. I only met a very few white Americans , there didn't seem many around. I've travelled the exact same way in Australia, Japan and Mexico and its only the states that gave me this bad impression. Another example, I was walking along the street in baton rouge one day and a skinny white girl started randomly abusing a few black girls that had just walked out of a fast food joint. Next thing a heap of black guys came running and the white girl was having the crap punched and kicked out of her by both the guys and girls in the middle of the road. Then a guy in a truck pulled an epic skid and stopped next to the fight pulled a handgun and told the girl to get in his truck, which she did and he drove off. I had to assume he didn't know the girl so that was a good dead but her abuses got her bashed in the first place.

Anyway that wasn't something I'd see back home in the average lifetime. It won't be how everyone sees things but that was my experience.

I would have to go to North Korea to see how it is over there but I've got the sneaking suspicion it wouldn't be near as bad as our western media likes to paint it. I'm sure I could take any white suburb dweller and really open their eyes following me around for a couple months.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2013, 04:52 
Chop or I'll Shoot
Chop or I'll Shoot

I bet you were one of the people that voted FOR the gun ban down there.

USATT Rating: 1869

MOLON LABE!!!

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2013, 05:13 
Super User

Okay so I'm from Nebraska which is a state smack dab in the middle of the country for those not in the know.

Honestly? This just made me laugh. Particularly the birds part. :lol: It was so over the top, it's all I could do.

Not sure if it was satire or not but rest assured for anybody wondering, America is nothing like this.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2013, 05:40 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

I thought the video was humorous, no idea if the translation is accurate or not. Not reality for sure. The USA has a lot of very nice areas, but admittedly it also has a lot of very bad, unsafe areas. People really need to know the neighborhoods to avoid so if you're a visitor it's easy to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The murder rate here is crazy compared to Oz or Japan or European countries, but Central and South America are even worse.

The thing I find most appalling is the health care system. The costs are outrageous and you can't just go to the doctor here if you're sick like you can is most civilized countries, although Obama is trying to fix that.

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2013, 08:00 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

suds79 wrote:
Honestly? This just made me laugh. Particularly the birds part. :lol: It was so over the top, it's all I could do.

Not sure if it was satire or not ...

"... Again there are no birds in the trees, apart from these, which will be eaten on tuesday. They are yummy. ..."

Honestly? No way! Rest assured that it is a fake. (Clips could well be authentic, but the montage to a "korean propaganda" setting must be a joke.)
Good fun. Enjoy! I did.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2013, 10:48 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Yes I though it was rediculously enough to be funny too.... "buying guns to kill other people, especially children" :o :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2013, 11:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

foam wrote:
I spent some time in the USA myself. Louisiana and Texas are quite accurate to the movie in the cities!. Bit of a dump and full of unfortunate homeless people, seen more people off their face on drugs in a few months than I've seen in my whole life here. That's the impression I took home with me from the states. Californians tell me everything's sweet over there but I can only judge on the places I've been. I guess the North Koreans didn't go to California either.

My idea is that citizens of the US that live in suburbia prefer to stay in their well off suburb and ignore the realitys and problems the country has faced for a very long time now.

I bet the North Koreans wouldn't be brave enough to walk around the dodgy areas of New Orleans at night, had me jittery that's for sure.

No doubt the U.S. has tons of crappy areas, but the majority live at the highest living standard compared to anywhere in the world. By majority I mean just the U.S. alone has more people in the middle class than many western countries combined. None of my immigrant friends that came within my generation from China make less than USD$100,000 a year today. NONE. Many are medical doctors, lawyers, and successful business owners. There's no country like the U.S.A. in terms of sheer number of opportunities to make it big... It's not even a contest. I've made a pretty good fortune trading stocks and commodities myself, and many of my friends also have made good money importing goods from China and Taiwan. The consumer market here is just enormous and extremely well developed logistically, with all the legal protections one could ask for.

The main difference between the U.S. and other advanced countries is we don't care much (if at all) about the poor, the down and the out and they rely on limited government assistance or private handouts to survive. It is absolutely true and a real shame, just like in the video, but that's an awfully incomplete picture of what the real USA is. Here in the U.S. everyone has to fend for themselves and many, many of us are extremely successful. Some fell into hard times but that's the cruel reality of the free market system.

Last edited by roundrobin on 16 Mar 2013, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!