OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 01:30

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Do you play Darts?
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2013, 15:53 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I've always been a bit of a darts novice, never getting serious about it, but playing with friends from time to time during my life.

Some mates and I have been playing in one of their garages recently which prompted me to re-set m dartboard up and buy some new darts, due to lost or broken old darts.

So I bought 2 lots. First a set of 3 Unicorn darts that weigh in around 26g each. Then some cheap Chinese ones that weigh in around 18g each. I also have a few old darts that weigh in at 22g and 26g (2 nice tungsten darts, ahving lost the 3rd ;( ).

So, if you play darts, either novicely or seriously, let's hear about your experiences and equipment. I think its pretty popular in England, so we should have a few guys from there, and I think Cobalt mentioned he plays as well...as I'm sure do many Aussies.

Any other nationalities play with sharp sticks? :lol:

Edit: Oh and I should add, I find the cheap 18g darts the best :headbang: :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject: Re: Do you play Darts?
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2013, 19:44 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I'd like to hear about the special provincial and national version darts, that only professional can get. :oops:

Also is there any kind of doping in darts... you know like tuning in table tennis. 8)

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2013, 23:24 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

haggisv wrote:
Also is there any kind of doping in darts... you know like tuning in table tennis. 8)

From what I know its called "Beer" and apparently it can result in "Dart Elbow" too :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2013, 04:24 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
Darts is still fairly massive in the UK - it's a "pub game" that often progresses into serious competition.

The house I now own left a dartboard in my now table tennis room but I've not tried it.

Used to be kinda-OK at them though!

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2013, 12:23 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Gday, I started playing darts coming up 2 years ago when I got a decent board and cabinet for my 40th. I was right into it for a while hence my silence on this forum for a while. I bought and sold several sets of darts until I've settled on some 22g McCoy Max darts. If starting out its usually recommended that straight barrels with a weight of 24g is a good starting point. I played a couple of seasons online where you play against someone in the world via webcam. You simply have a webcam pointed at the board and use the online scorer to enter scores. You can chat as you play as well if you want. www.webcamdarts.com My name on there is also Cobalt. I also last year played in our local pub summer league and despite not dominating, was able to hold my own. Like table tennis, its quite accommodating to new players and many people ask 'how good do I need to be before playing'. Honestly, if you can hit the board, you are fine.
If looking to buy gear then www.dartscorner.co.uk is the way to go apart from of course your local retailer who might have some advice as well which is always invaluable. For new players, for $40 you can get a pretty decent board and cabinet set from Kmart. Aerial brand. The darts are a bit ordinary though but do the job.
The thing that I like about darts is that you don't need a practice partner, its easy just to have a quick 5 min throw, and each game is completely measurable. There's various free software available to use as a scorer and play against the computer and you are provided your '3 dart average' so that over time you can see your improvement. Its also more strategic than you would think when playing the standard 501 as you have to start thinking about what numbers to go for to give you the best opportunity to finish the game. Those that enjoy numbers and stats will enjoy this aspect.
The best forum I've found is www.thedartsforum.co.uk
Its also a good game when mates are around as you can play various fun games that evens up the competition.
Happy darting.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2013, 13:22 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
In the 70s, the place I worked at, (Xerox) had many good players. I played for fun. There was a big bar on the first floor with dart boards. I had a board at home and had practiced a behind the back shot. I could usually hit the board and it was just for fun.
Well, one year, the world champ (from England) was making a tour of the us. Cost $1 a game to play him. All the money was to go to cherity. If you beat him, you got a Tee shirt that said, I beat the World Champ. He came to our bar and about 30 of us went to play him or watch. I paid $5 for 5 games.
The first game, I threw from behind my back and got on with the second dart! (To get on, you have to hit this 1/4" band around the outside.) Pure luck! We played 301 and out. He killed me every game but after he said I had him worried with that behind the back shot. LOL.
He went home after one year "With ALL his Tee shirts. :)

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2013, 14:13 
Super User

I hung a darts board in my office and when I get really p'd off at the dummies I work with, I fire off a few rounds of darts, simulated games...I've only played one opponent, myself, and I've lost all the time :lol:

The amazing thing with darts is the addition, er, subtraction skills that you need to play the game correctly...whoa, it becomes torture to keep tract so I flip my novelty set to the other side and just play the other version and my own house, er, office rules!

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2013, 14:52 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Some good stories and info there guys. Hookshot, getting to play the world champ...imagine if you got to play Zhang Jike or Ma Long...pretty cool stuff.

Timeout, are you sure you don't have pictures of your work colleagues on that dartboard. Hmmm, some to think of it, I just thought of a way to improve my game :lol: :lol:

Cobalt that webcam darts sounds like a cool thing to do...talk about bring modern technology into a very un-techo game lol.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2013, 15:24 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

I've had one too many darts thrown at me by drunk dart players to possibly play it. Although webcam darts maybe the perfect solution !.