OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 09 May 2024, 02:55

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2008, 17:35 
Rotatus Maximus
Rotatus Maximus

Maybe this forum could be renamed:

"Kind Of A Tangent" ?

BTW JKC, my favourite colour is purple, buy my 5 year old daughter is taking over ownership of it in our house, so I may need another. Any suggestions?

Member of Anastasia's Fan Club

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2008, 21:16 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I like blue! Hoping my 2 year old daughter likes it as much as I do eventually shoebox, consider yourself lucky.

A forum, btw, is only as good as the people who post in it. Same as any chat room. I have noticed that people come and go to these things as life directs them, and when you get the right mix of people, you get a rockin place to be. I fond interactive chat more stimulating than a message board usually, but this forum doesn't often get boring. I guess its because the mix is about right, having good people to ask questions, good people to answer them, and a bit of light-heartedness to keep things from being too dry. Now considering the geographic and demographic differences between us, its quite and achievement to keep it going as well as it does.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2008, 10:17 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

speedplay wrote:
Sorry to hear about the vacuum of posting over at DTTW, used to be such a great place but... Lately it hasn't been the same and I think its been kind of deadish for some time. I do wish that Denis comes up with something to get it back to its usual activity.

At the moment, I think that too many members worry about their status over there and thats why nobody wants to ask questions as that would show that they aren't as high leveled as they want to be regarded as.

What is the protocol for posting on OOAK then? If you are a higher level player with advice to offer, do you have to pretend that you are not a higher level player and have nothing to offer in the way of advice? If you are a pro and decide to join OOAK do you have to pretend that you are not a pro for fear of upsetting members that you may just be able to help/offer advice? Is this the forum of agreed lesser standard players where you all feel so comfortable? I thought that the real benefit of forums such as this one was to enable players of lesser ability to be able to tap the knowledge of players of more experience to enable them to gain that said experience Thus improving their games. Surely that is the reason that most people log in to these sites in the first place. If (god I wish) there was a forum that Waldner, WLQ, Ma Lin, Schlager, Boll etc were regular posters on, would that forum be 'dead' because nobody dare ask Questions? I doubt it. If you wish to pull this forum down by suggesting that the playing standard of the members is so low that it is the reason that you/we/I am OOAK then you limit the potential of the forum. OOAK has the image of being friendly and the members celebrate it, But do they ever learn anything?or is this a great back slapping forum? Where you all feel comfortable here but intimidated on the forums that are in the real world :lol: BTW, I love posting on this forum, it's so cuddly :lol: Maybe Admin needs to look at this as a reason to increase membership? DTTW probably has the balance right :lol:

Just a footnote, whilst DTTW may be going though a lean period, you have to wait about 5 days for a response on OOAK, the posting is VERY slow on here, slower than on DTTW by far, so lets get the smug DTTW is struggling thing out of the way shall we? Its the 8th march now, I'm not expecting an answer to this before 10th, and that would be quick for OOAK

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2008, 12:57 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe MC2
FH: Yinhe Jupiter 3 39deg
BH: Victas Ventus Extra
DarkHorse: you bring up some good points.. however.. it needs to be mentioned that the skill difference between waldner etc... and the rest of us populace is much higher than the skill difference of the best people on these forums and the worst people on these forums. (minus the 2-3 players, wook etc.. who dont really participate in the forums.. especially in the coaching area..)

lemme reiterate in a more specific way, the skill difference between yourself and speedplay is much much smaller, than the skill difference between waldner/boll/etc and you.

i don't say this to insult you, i just want to address the issue of dttw = goodplayers, other forums = bad players... because imo, in the real world, as you mentioned, we're all amateur players. and the best of amateurs are not THAT much better than the worst of amateurs... at least not enough to develop an attitude over it.

it should be noted tho, i do not agree 100% with speedplay's evaluation of dttw.. i think there's some terrific people there.. different dynamics.. great insights. the moment we start believing we're above learning from anyone is the moment we start getting stupid.

i think speedplay has a sharper sense of social righteousness than the rest of us. i would be too lazy to get out of my way and go thru personal annoyance to try to correct a behaviour i deem inappropriate.. i would much rather live and let live... but i'm a coward.

so.. conclusion: as we get older, we realize it gets harder and harder to get honest feedback about our personalities. most people (me included) prefer to pat our backs instead of telling us "you're being a jerk". When someone comes up and tells others theyre being jerks (regardless the method they choose to express themselves with -sarcasm/wit/insults), that person should be thanked and not despised.

This of course is my opinion. But it doesn;t matter cuz i suck at pingpong, so i must be retarded. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2008, 13:48 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Darkhorse you are entitled to your opinion and obviously you like DTTW, which is your choice. I have never participated there, so I can't comment on it except that I get on well with Speedplay and I don't see why a forum should ban someone for stating their opinions. If they did, perhaps you would be banned for what you have said about this forum just now. But I don't think that will happen.
As I said in the post before yours, this forum is good because it has a good mix of people to ask and answer questions. That doesn't mean everybody just pats each other on the back and agrees with everything and I don't think you have found it that way if you are to be honest.

I did find some of what you said to be insulting, being a member of this forum, but its your choice. I would simply say (real) insults on this forum are kept to a minimum, not because no-one wants to learn, but because they are not necessary to show respect for the people you are communicating with. This goes, whether its to learn, to teach or just to have some fun. Yes there are some things that could be deemed insults at times, but its usually quite clear between people that they are tongue in cheek (not serious).

I have read most of your posts on here and found them interesting and informative, so no the protocol is not to pretend you are not a higher level player. It is nice to know the level of player you are and your experience to know how to take the advice, in fact.

To say this forum is slow is innaccurate, IMO. It is rare to go a day without someone returning comment to a post here, although it happens from time to time. I note that you now have 2 replies to your post within hours not days as you expected. And if you are going to take a shot at slow posting, then be prepared to post here more regularly and lead by example. Perhaps others will follow!

The real benefit of a forum like this is whatever you want to take from it. If you want to post for fun, do so. If you want to learn, ask questions. If you want to impart knowledge, answer questions. As I said a forum is only as good as the people who participate in it. Don't feel reluctant to post here because you are better than the rest of us at this sport. As priior has said, there is always someone better than you, even if you are No. 1 in the world, you might have an off day :wink: .

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2008, 15:48 
Super User

I think regular members would find this forum is pretty responsive. I don't think members' skill levels are that critical, since it doesn't seem to me we teach other how to play TT that much, though personally I think many of the members here have pretty respectable TT skills and knowledge. I browse forums on my free-time and prefer to be where the environment is mature. I can get plenty of immaturity and aggression elsewhere :D .

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2008, 17:51 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Dark horse wrote:
speedplay wrote:
Sorry to hear about the vacuum of posting over at DTTW, used to be such a great place but... Lately it hasn't been the same and I think its been kind of deadish for some time. I do wish that Denis comes up with something to get it back to its usual activity.

At the moment, I think that too many members worry about their status over there and thats why nobody wants to ask questions as that would show that they aren't as high leveled as they want to be regarded as.

What is the protocol for posting on OOAK then? If you are a higher level player with advice to offer, do you have to pretend that you are not a higher level player and have nothing to offer in the way of advice? If you are a pro and decide to join OOAK do you have to pretend that you are not a pro for fear of upsetting members that you may just be able to help/offer advice? Is this the forum of agreed lesser standard players where you all feel so comfortable? I thought that the real benefit of forums such as this one was to enable players of lesser ability to be able to tap the knowledge of players of more experience to enable them to gain that said experience Thus improving their games. Surely that is the reason that most people log in to these sites in the first place. If (god I wish) there was a forum that Waldner, WLQ, Ma Lin, Schlager, Boll etc were regular posters on, would that forum be 'dead' because nobody dare ask Questions? I doubt it. If you wish to pull this forum down by suggesting that the playing standard of the members is so low that it is the reason that you/we/I am OOAK then you limit the potential of the forum. OOAK has the image of being friendly and the members celebrate it, But do they ever learn anything?or is this a great back slapping forum? Where you all feel comfortable here but intimidated on the forums that are in the real world :lol: BTW, I love posting on this forum, it's so cuddly :lol: Maybe Admin needs to look at this as a reason to increase membership? DTTW probably has the balance right :lol:

Just a footnote, whilst DTTW may be going though a lean period, you have to wait about 5 days for a response on OOAK, the posting is VERY slow on here, slower than on DTTW by far, so lets get the smug DTTW is struggling thing out of the way shall we? Its the 8th march now, I'm not expecting an answer to this before 10th, and that would be quick for OOAK

Dark horse:

I don't know whether you're being serious or not, but if you are, I get the feeling you're using your dislike of speedplay to bag this forum...which I think is totally unnecessary, and I'm very surprised by this as I have a lot of respect for you and I also find your posts informative. Perhaps you may not have learned much on this forum, but if you think not many people have, you've obviously spent little time here...I've leaned heaps myself and I'm sure many other have too...

I'm happy to let speedplay express his opinion here about DTTW, as long as it's not abusive (which I don't believe it has)... MAINLY since he got very little opportunity to do so on DTTW after his suspension, I think it's only fair...

DTTW is a great forum IMO, and it has been for many years... I make a point of not bagging other forums personally and I do respect people like Denis, but I won't stop others simply from expressing their opinion... For the same reason I'm happy for you to express your opinion about this forum...although I feel some of your statement are unnecessary... I don't know what member you are on DTTW, but I suspect even Denis would not approve of some of the things you say...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2008, 20:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I did not mean to offend this forum or any individual, that post was just a response to the constant implication that DTTW is in some sort of decline and the reasons for it are down to a few members there who are conceited so called 'better players'. And I have already stated, I am not the person at DTTW who some of you seem to think I am. I must say though I am a member on both forums and I often disagree with posts/comments held on here but refrain from posting a reply for previously mentioned reasons, is that a good or bad thing? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2008, 21:28 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Dark Horse, I don't know who you are and aren't, but if you have something to say that adds value, say it. If you have something to say that is purely a put down of anyone, hold it in I think. Can't be much simpler. I think this forum is good because people are accepted for who they are. Sometimes I think I'm ignored in favour of Speedplay getting all the attention, but he needs it, so I let it go. :lol: :lol: :lol: So as long as you're happy with Speedplay being the centre of attention and all the rest of us clammering for crumbs, everything will be ok. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2008, 23:07 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe MC2
FH: Yinhe Jupiter 3 39deg
BH: Victas Ventus Extra
Dark horse wrote:
I often disagree with posts/comments held on here but refrain from posting a reply for previously mentioned reasons, is that a good or bad thing? :?

if you see anything pingpong related that u disagree with but withhold to say anything is your choice... but expressing one's opinion can be done many ways. communication is a subtle art that involves validating the other person's opinion and inputing your own without being aggressive. (imo haggisv excels at this, we could all learn a lot from him!)

the above point is the reason why things breakdown from time to time... a lot of posters do not know how to communicate properly... and those who do shine like a shaft of gold in a dark cave (tee hee Monty Python reference!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2008, 07:56 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

looks like that is cleared up then, If you read my posts you will see that I did not mention bagging forums at all those were the words of others. The mention of OOAK being slow was made as a comparison to DTTW which was implied by speedplay to be 'dead' lately and as a member of both forums I am in an easy situation to compare the two, DTTW may be less busy lately compared to how it has been in the past, but it is not less busy compared to OOAK, that was the point I was trying to make. Hopefully both Forums will continue to thrive and I will strive to post more diplomatically :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2008, 09:16 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Cheers Dark horse! Yes I agree enough said on this subject as it's not worth dwelling on. I'll close this thread now...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5