OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 15:07

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 26 May 2016, 15:06 
I am Legend
I am Legend

righto. I'll update my signature link :D

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 26 May 2016, 17:35 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Silver wrote:
righto. I'll update my signature link :D

No no, as I mentioned on my page, your database remains live, and still has a lot of values in it that mine does not. I didn't copy your values into mine (I'm way too lazy to do that 8) ), so it's best to keep both active.

PostPosted: 27 May 2016, 12:27 

iskandar taib wrote:
*Sigh*

It used to be so simple in the old days. You could set up a desktop PC (in fact, the one you used for day-to-day work), download any one of a number of web server packages, fire up Notepad and set up a website. You could even learn Perl or even Cold Fusion (there was a free version called CF Express until Adobe bought CF) and set up BBS and blogs and the like. These days expectations are so much higher - backup, pretty design, pro graphics.. and what really killed it all off - security concerns. In the past the hobbyist could have a lot of fun doing things, these days the web belongs to big companies, you have to rent space on a server and pay a professional to set things up for you. Even "simple" tools like Wordpress or Joomla have a steep learning curve or don't do exactly what you want and are fraught with security concerns.

Iskandar

I understand why you think that, but I have to respectfully disagree. Security was always a concern. Especially if you hosted the site on your PC instead of renting server space, you'd better know how to secure it. Perhaps you weren't as concerned back in the day, but I think that has more to do with a change in your attitude. More sites are being hacked nowadays, but security was always a major concern even when the numbers were lower.

Wordpress is a big target because it has a very large market share. Even then, the core is usually secure. It's the themes and plugins that have the vulnerabilities. Use a free theme / plugin created by a 12 year old and you're bound to have issues. Use a good security plugin to change the default folder structure and admin URLs and this will stop a very large percentage of attempted hacks. You can then use MainWP to manage and automatically update your blogs if you have a lot of them. It even does backups for you. I would definitely use Hugo or an equivalent static site generator instead, if that was an option, as it will always be more secure than Wordpress.

Expectations are higher in terms of design, but there are now frameworks and templates available that do a lot of the niceties for you. Minimalist design has been in since the mid-late 2000's, so less clutter and more white space is expected. This actually makes it easier. Maybe your expectations for design have increased, but the average user doesn't care any more than they did back then.

I think it's easier for a layperson to do websites today, as you don't even need to know any code to get it up and running. Shared server space is cheap, they do automatic backups and they often have one-click installs that set everything up for you. Even if you rent a VPS, you can use something like Server Pilot to automatically keep the software secure and create new Wordpress blogs with one or two clicks.

I think the real issue is that things have changed, which is intimidating, until you learn the new stuff. Then it becomes just as second-nature as the old technologies and methodologies that you were using previously. Also our personal standards have changed, we expect better from ourselves, which requires more effort and is more difficult.

PostPosted: 27 May 2016, 15:51 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Excellent post WorkoutMontage! :up: :up: :up:

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2016, 10:12 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

haggisv wrote:
I've got a couple of domains related to table tennis (e.g. www.tabletennisexperts.com, www.tabletennis.rocks), which I've always meant to develop into websites, but I never got around to it, as I just don't have the time to do it all on my own.
Is there anyone here that's into building websites? Perhaps you might be interested in developing the site into something useful together?

Thought I might bump this post, to see if there is any interest now? :oops:

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2016, 16:46 
Super User

Blade: Acoustic Carbon Inner ST
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Rakza Z
haggisv wrote:
Domains are cheap if no-one has registered them yet, but of course all the good ones were registered many many years ago, and some sell for hundreds, thousands or even millions of dollars.... it's a huge business.

Can I just point out something that may be useful, and sorry if you already know this, that in Australia and for .au domains, the rules are that cybersquatters with no close affiliation with the domain name, particularly one that relates to a brand name, can very easily be relieved of that domain by the auDA (.au Domain Administration) if somebody who does have a legitimate affiliation complains to auDA about it.

The relevant rules are here: https://www.auda.org.au/policies/index- ... 2/2012-04/

So for example, if a cybersquatter, with no particular affiliation to Brand Acme, registers the domain http://www.brandacme.com.au in hopes of making money from selling the domain name, the authorised importer of Brand Acme (for example) can go to auDA and make a complaint, and the domain will almost certainly be stripped from the cybersquatter.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2016, 19:58 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Yes you're quite right, and I'm well aware of these rules, and have made sure none of mine run that risk.
I'm just looking to build a site on some of the great domain names I've already managed to acquire. I have big dreams and plans, but will need help to accomplish them, so I'm looking for others with thr same passion for our sport, that have some good ideas, and some experience in website design.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2016, 20:10 
Super User

Blade: GiantDragon Kris2
FH: DHS H3 Neo
BH: Who Knows???
I'm still interested in helping out if I get any free time - but I've got to get howspinworks.com sorted first! :angel:

Help me find a new blade please!

Only self-proclaimed unofficial spin doctor of OOAK. Call me Joe or musicfreak :rock:
The author of How Spin Works. The Official How Spin Works Thread. How Spin Works goes to India! See my 3D Printed/Laser Cut blade experiment blog.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2016, 21:15 
Super User

Blade: Acoustic Carbon Inner ST
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Rakza Z
haggisv wrote:
Yes you're quite right, and I'm well aware of these rules, and have made sure none of mine run that risk.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were doing it; rather, it was in case there was a situation where cybersquatters were filching domain names to which anyone here had a stronger claim! :)

In my previous business I successfully appealed for the deregistration of around half a dozen domain names from cybersquatters, rather than be extorted…in fact, the main cybersquatter was a customer with whom I thought we had a friendly working relationship! :@

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2016, 13:47 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

WorkoutMontage wrote:
I understand why you think that, but I have to respectfully disagree. Security was always a concern. Especially if you hosted the site on your PC instead of renting server space, you'd better know how to secure it. Perhaps you weren't as concerned back in the day, but I think that has more to do with a change in your attitude. More sites are being hacked nowadays, but security was always a major concern even when the numbers were lower.

I'm talking of the time period from around 1992 to 1996 or so. Hacking was for Unix, VMS and Novell - no one else cared. Some types of networks had NO security (as Apple users found out when they hooked up their Macs with attached printers to the then-new campus Ethernet and had odd term-papers from Nursing printing for no reason). I ran my first web server on Windows 3.0, it actually worked even if I did have to reboot the thing every day - had a BBS on it, people actually got addicted to it, finally took it down in 2001 (running NT 4.0 by then) when I moved out of the country.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2016, 14:26 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

hangdog wrote:
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were doing it; rather, it was in case there was a situation where cybersquatters were filching domain names to which anyone here had a stronger claim! :)
Yes I knew that's what you meant :up:
hangdog wrote:
In my previous business I successfully appealed for the deregistration of around half a dozen domain names from cybersquatters, rather than be extorted…in fact, the main cybersquatter was a customer with whom I thought we had a friendly working relationship! :@
Good job being able to to do this...I know it's not easy as you need a strong case to be successful. :clap: :clap: :clap:
What sucks in the case of .au, is that de-registration does not mean that you end up getting the domain. It just means it gets 'dropped', and you may still be unsuccessful in registering the domain after it drops, as it goes to auction and anyone can bid on these.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!