OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 04:17

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 960 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 64  Next
PostPosted: 02 Jul 2018, 09:10 
Super User

sderyke2002 wrote:
Confirmation and dis-comfirmation bias is why peer review and both reproducibility and replicability are required before a theory is accepted in modern science. First you let other scientist review your work and methodology, critique your approach, offer recommendations on how to tighten your experimental controls and methods, then once you can re-do the experiment satisfying all these changes, you let go of the work and other scientists unconnected to your team do the experiments in many different labs around the world and they too must get the same predicted results of the theory or else the theory must be modified and the whole process start all over again.

You know - the same process YouTube uses before it posts a video. LOL

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2018, 02:04 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

mac33 wrote:
Their theory of it being a ball and the oceans magically adhering to the underside of the ball - well that to me qualifies as an insult to intelligence :)

As people keep pointing out, flat earthers have real problems with frames of reference. Because they think the Earth is flat, therefore the Universe must be flat, too, and there's an UP and a DOWN to the Universe. This is bizarre, so the above statement is bizarre.

mac33 wrote:
To believe we live on a spinning ball when every single one of our daily observations tells us the opposite - that is trust,blind trust.

Note that Mac still hasn't told us why the Sun appears over the horizon in the East each morning, travels across the sky in a straight line and then sinks below the horizon in West at sunset. Photos of the sun sinking below the horizon are everywhere, he can observe this HIMSELF, EVERY DAY. EVERY DAY means it's a DAILY observation. And he STILL believes the Earth isn't a spinning ball even if the observations say otherwise. Maybe he'd like to tell us about some other of these "daily observations" that shows that the Earth is flat.

mac33 wrote:
Do your own in depth research from all sides,then and only then will your opinion not be based on trust.

Translation: Watch more YouTube videos. They're all the proof you need... :lol: (Talk about relying on TRUST... :lol: )

Iskandar

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2018, 16:57 
Super User

Kids as well as indoctrinated adults love their balls,don't they?

Actually,otherwise perfectly intelligent adults love their balls more or so it seems!

They believe that water can magically bend or contour to the surface of a ball - when it can never be replicated.

It's got a lot to do with the power of indoctrination. Tell a lie often enough and the masses will believe.

Remember in the hours and days after 911 when their media flashed images of that bogey man on our screens. Every soul bar a few thought he was guilty - trial by media.

Same thing happening with their theory of a it being a ball.

Never mind - just carry on getting your source of reality from the corporate owned and controlled mainstream media. They don't have an agenda to push now do they?

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2018, 20:01 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Avoiding my question again, Mac? Why does the sun disappear behind the horizon at sunset? Why does it travel across the sky in a straight line? Stop being so evasive.. The sun doesn't lie, the sun isn't controlled by corporate interests.. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2018, 21:12 
Super User

mac33 wrote:
They believe that water can magically bend or contour to the surface of a ball - when it can never be replicated.

Hey, mac, it's not that hard, you know. There's this little thing called gravity. It's a function of mass and works regardless of the size or shape of an object. It's not only real but it's observable, measurable and perfectly understandable. And it explains all sorts of interesting things.

Tell us all, how do flat earthers explain that phenomenon observed all over the globe - tides? It's simple really: gravity. The moon in its movement around the earth exerts a gravitational pull which causes the ebb and flow of tides. Of course, if you don't believe in gravity it gets a little difficult, doesn't it? One of the surprising things about gravity is that all sorts of strange things are attracted to one another; for example, any quantity of water (even a large body like an ocean) is drawn towards objects of much, much greater mass such as the earth. Hence, regardless of where it is on the globe, water is drawn towards the centre of the earth. Even if the water is "upside down"! And you too can observe this phenomenon right in the safety and privacy of your own home!

Now why don't you have a go at explaining some simple, observable phenomena we've asked you about?

Why does the sun disappear behind the horizon at sunset?
    Why does it travel across the sky in a straight line?
    How come it's dark here but light where you are?
    Why does it disappear at all?
    Why does a 12" ruler bent by .009" look flat?
    If the earth is flat, why do ships' hulls disappear before their superstructure?

There you have six simple questions which we keep asking you to answer, but you've never, ever set out a logical response to even one of them. Come on, mac. It's your turn now. Have a go.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2018, 03:11 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
The only thing mac has done is deprive himself of ever knowing the beauty of the earth, solar system, galaxy or the universe.

I have a VLT, (very large telescope) and have observed much of the galaxy and other galaxies.
I also have watched ships slowly disappear over the horizon with the telescope. On high power, I can bring an object 12 miles away up to 100 feet, crystal clear.

Mac will never do this because it would destroy his flat earth.

I think his disdain for higher education tells us a lot. I suspect "higher education" means anything over second grade. :)

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2018, 08:18 
Super User

hookshot wrote:
I have a VLT, (very large telescope) and have observed much of the galaxy and other galaxies.
I also have watched ships slowly disappear over the horizon with the telescope.

mac33 wrote:
And then you get a telescope and the bottom of the ship will come back in to view showing its NOT dropping over any curvature.

Hmmm... one of you is wrong. I wonder which one? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2018, 10:27 

Mac is all talk and no action.
You don't need a large telescope to see this, binoculars will do. :o
Borrow a pair Mac. :devil:

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2018, 11:29 

Mac is also proving his flat earth false to everyone on the forum by his lack of answers to questions. :rofl:

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2018, 23:01 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

birchamboi wrote:
hookshot wrote:
I also have watched ships slowly disappear over the horizon with the telescope.

mac33 wrote:
And then you get a telescope and the bottom of the ship will come back in to view showing its NOT dropping over any curvature.

Hmmm... one of you is wrong. I wonder which one? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

One has a telescope and has actually used it, the other is repeating something he heard on YouTube. As they say, a no-brainer.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2018, 04:44 

You can buy binoculars for $30 or so, or, you could borrow a pair.
But he wont do it because he would have a heart attack when he saw the truth. :rofl:

Talk, talk, and more talk. No action! :rofl:

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2018, 08:17 

Blade: Dawei R2
FH: Gambler Burst 2.1mm/Thors
BH: Gambler Mechtek 1.7mm
Flat earth theory can be a fun topic as a thought exercise.

So, the standard model I've seen of the theory is that the earth is a flat body surrounded by an ice wall(Antartica). The sun and the moon are two floating bodies that rotate around a center point(north pole), shining light on parts of the earth like spotlights. Objects disappear with distance regardless of curvature, and bottoms disappearing first is explained by light reflection off of the ground/water(mirage effect).

I think the challenge with the topic is that it can be easy to come up with straight to the point reasons for isolated questions, while the math/science explanations require quite a background to properly explain - our systems of math are very specific to cover a lot of funny edge cases, which is why we have natural vs. real numbers and how euclidean geometry has weird intercations in 3D space.

Keep in mind that there are actually a decent amount of math postgrads that troll as flat earthers to really frustrate the discussion. As well, the whole 'conspiracy' is usually an answer to an instance when outside evidence is being used - it defeats the point of a thought experiment to say "An outside source took this picture/video", because then we're implicitly trusting a source rather than using pure reason. There is always *some* reasonable doubt to any outside sources, the conspiracy claim is just a parody level example of that.

That being said, there are people that truly buy in to it and can't/won't properly argue for it, and that's unfortunate.

Iirc there's a flat earth society forum and you can occasionally see posters break sides to explain the other side when someone gets a little off course in an explanation.

Anywho, we can safely put away the flat earth theory because we should all be able to agree that the hypercube is where it's at. :D

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2018, 00:08 
Super User

I encourage every ball earther to take a visit to the sea or ocean.

Put that straight edge across the horizon and the water will never drop below the line of the straight edge,no matter how far you look to the left or right.

I have done the experiment. I therefore can only conclude we have been lied to.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2018, 01:00 

Mac, you either don't read the previous replies or don't understand how small .009 inch is. You cannot see the error in the line. It is there but too small for your eyes.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2018, 01:44 
Super User

At 6 miles its 24 feet. That is not a small drop......

Further,were there an island 24 feet in elevation 6 miles away,on a clear day you would see it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 960 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 64  Next