OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 18:35

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 961 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65  Next
PostPosted: 10 Jan 2024, 16:44 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

This is the "fun" part about Flat Earth. You begin by stating the Earth is flat, and then you have to start explaining everything else - gravity, phases of the moon, tides, NASA, GPS, the International Space Station appearing in plain sight overhead, horizons dropping below the horizontal with altitude, inertial gyros detecting 15 degree per hour drifts, cities dropping below horizons... all because these things don't fit with a flat earth.

But it's only fun for a while. When this goes on for several years it gets boring. Because you hear the same crud over and over and over again.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2024, 18:15 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

mac33 wrote:
Michigan Lake is nearly 500 kilometres at its widest point.

And Lake Michigan actually experiences observable tidal shifts (true tide, not seiches) in the body of water, as do the other great lakes.

You won't believe me. Google may be your friend. Take the chance!

Also refresh the physics from school. Keyword is "wave theory", perhaps amplification and damping in particular. Good luck!

Oops, sorry, I forgot. You don't believe in science, only what you can see for yourself.

Here is what you can do:

• Select one of the great lakes.
    While lake Michigan is larger, lake Erie stretches longer in the east-west direction, which is the main direction for tidal movement. Unfortunately, seiches are also more common on lake Erie.
  • Check the weather forecasts to find a 48 hour period with little wind, precipitation and no seiche activity, so water supply and waves will not disturb your measurements.
    In the middle of the time period, any waves should have settled and you are ready to start your measurements.
  • Bring your best yardstick (a water resistant one) to somewhere at the eastern or western edge of the lake, and locate a fixed point within the lake.
    A moored boat does not constitute a fixed point in this context. You need a solid object in constant, immobile connection with the bottom.
  • Attach your yardstick to said fixed point, so that it is firmly placed in a vertical direction and partially submerged.
    Make sure you have at least 10 cm/4" submerged, and also at least 10 cm above water, to ensure that sufficient measurement range is available.
  • Make a note of water level (1 mm or 1/32" accuracy), date and time of day.
    There will most likely be ripples on the water. If so, note both the highest and lowest observation of water levels.
  • Repeat measurement and note taking regularly (at least hourly) for 24 hours.
    You may want to team up with someone and organize a shift plan, so you can have some proper sleep. You don't want your measurements to be messed up because you were too tired to do it right.
  • Please post your measurements here. We'd be delighted to see your results.
    Meteorology and geology authorities and associations in the US and Canada may also be interested in your measurements.

https://www.theguardian.com/notesandque ... 33,00.html
https://greatlakes.guide/ideas/do-the-g ... have-tides

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2024, 22:14 
Super User

https://www.chicagotribune.com/weather/ ... olumn.html

Lake Michigan and the other Great Lakes are considered to be essentially nontidal. That being said, Lake Michigan, like all bodies of water, does experience tidal fluctuations caused by the gravitational pull of the sun and moon. However, they are so minute that they are masked by much greater fluctuations of the lake level produced by wind and air pressure and are unnoticeable. There are twice-daily tides of 0.5 to 1.5 inches on Lake Michigan, and Dave Schwab of the Great Lakes Environmental Research Lab in Ann Arbor, Mich., notes the existence of a larger Lake Michigan tidal swing in the Bay of Green Bay, where local geography can generate fluctuations up to four inches.

So a fraction in size compared to the seas and oceans and likely not tidal at all.

Perhaps if a trench was built from Michigan Lake to the Atlantic Ocran then the 500 kilometre wide lake might then experience normal sized tides lol.

Remember Michigan Lake is bigger than many countries.

The sad part is some people fall for the excuse it is not connected to the ocean.

One of the most laughable excuses I've come across.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2024, 10:06 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

mac33 wrote:
So a fraction in size compared to the seas and oceans and likely not tidal at all.
Remember Michigan Lake is bigger than many countries.

So on one side you compare the magnitude of the tidal effect to that of oceans. Then you compare the magnitude of the basin to that of countries. This is an extreme case of cherry picking of facts. So extreme that to me it comes out as either willfully misleading or witless.

Yes, it is a fact that lake Michigan is larger than many countries (73 if I can count). It is also a fact that the surface area of nations is totally irrelevant to what happens with bodies of water.

Compared to oceans, lake Michigan is not so impressive. The smallest of the earth's oceans is 240 times the size of the lake, by surface area. (~3700 times by volume).

Now you may argue that the lake is larger; connected by the straits of Mackinac, lake Michigan-Huron geologically constitutes a single lake. I will not contest that. I know, however, that all the oceans in the world are connected, by passages much larger than the straits of Mackinac. Hence, the damping effect on the tidal bulge in those straits of Mackinac is highly significant, while the damping effect on tidal currents by seabed thresholds and narrowings (straits) between the oceans is much lighter. The oceans together cover more than 3000 times the area of the conjoined lake, and contains around 165000 times as much water.

Also, the tidal bulge of the oceans is carried forth by tidal currents from ocean to ocean, around the earth, building up energy through a kind of rhythmic resonance through millions of years. The tidal bulge of lake Michigan-Huron loads up energy for 12 hours, and it is allowed just over 30 minutes of passing before it must break and recede. (This is according to spherical geometry ; for discworld geometry you'd have to ask a camel, but I believe that it is fairly close.) In this context a buildup of more than an inch (and up to 4 inches resulting from energy concentration/superposition) is rather impressive.

Wait! I keep forgetting. You don't believe in science. Oh, well, never mind!

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2024, 22:57 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
As someone who lives within a mile of Lake Michigan, I love this conversaton. :)

As someone who has a basic understanding of science, it makes me crazy. There are some things that are just basic, proven facts. To deny them you have to either be willfully ignorant or just a troll looking to get a reaction out of people. Which is why I try to stay out of these things.

But when Lake Michigan came up as a topic, I had to say hi from the edge of it. :D

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2024, 02:23 
Super User

I often wonder how much time ballers have actually spent looking at the opposing evidence.

Now as a minimum i would have thought you needed at least 10 hours looking at the evidence presented on flat earth documentaries.

You cannot possibly have an informed opinion without first looking in depth at the evidence from the other side.

Start by watching 200 proofs the earth is flat by Eric Dubay.

There is two hours of the ten which likely is one hour 59 minutes more than PRW has done lol.

Ballers are some of the most religious people there are.

They believe and regurgitate the narrative like its gospel.

Critical research seems to be a thing of the past these days, possibly by design.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2024, 18:50 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

:lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2024, 13:51 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Blade: Dr Neubauer High Tec Plus
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Tibhar Hybrid K3
mac33 wrote:

Start by watching 200 proofs the earth is flat by Eric Dubay.

There is two hours of the ten which likely is one hour 59 minutes more than PRW has done lol.

I think in total I may have watched more than 1 minute - initially I find it funny, then annoying, then just sad. Not sure how some people manage to put their socks on correctly.

Eric Dubray's voice is just annoying. Couldn't watch more than 30 seconds, not even taking the drivel into account.

mac33 wrote:
Ballers are some of the most religious people there are.

They believe and regurgitate the narrative like its gospel.

I am not sure there is a direct correlation between flat earthers and religion. I suspect that there is a higher percentage of religious people who are flat earthers than the general populace. Both kind of "faith-based" beliefs, imho.

What I would like to know:
1. What do flat earthers believe is on "the other side" of the earth?
2. Is earth the only flat planet in the known universe, or are other planets flat as well?

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2024, 22:49 
Super User

Were someone to asl me my main three reasons for believing in a flat earth....

The horizon from my experience is always horizontal.

When you go on a plane the horizon rises to eye level. On a spherical earth at thirty odd thousand feet you would be looking down at the horizon and again it would not be horizontal but have a curve.

Water in a cup, a basin, a bath, a swimming pool, a lake is always horizontal at the surface.

Now for theorists of their spinning ball model i am guessing THEIR photos that are actually images that are in turn made up or sewn together admitted by NASA.

Regarding Eric Dubay is too annoying to listen to - seems a cop out to me.

How can you determine its drivel if you do not take the time to listen to his evidence?

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2024, 10:11 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

mac33 wrote:

Regarding Eric Dubay is too annoying to listen to - seems a cop out to me.

How can you determine its drivel if you do not take the time to listen to his evidence?

I didn't watch the video, I did read this... https://flatearth.ws/eric-dubay

It gives a brief summary of Dubay's key statements, and then a rebuttal. I only looked through a couple of these as well - even this was boring!

You didn't answer the 2 questions in my previous post?

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2024, 15:30 
Super User

Your response is an appeal to authority.

You place their unverifiable claims above your own senses.

Observation across the sea or oceans show no curvature yet you choose to accept their CGI images.

To wake up to the lie.......you first need to WANT TO WAKE UP.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2024, 15:56 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

here's another question for you to avoid...

How do sunrises and sunsets work? Do they appear and then disappear over the edge of the disc, i.e. does the sun circle the (flat) earth?

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2024, 20:09 
Super User

The sun i believe disappears from view just like all other objects will disappear from your field of view due to the distance.

Like a plane overhead travelling at 30 000 feet it appears to converge with the land as it travels away from you.

Of course, it's still at the same altitude it's just due to perspective caused by convergence.

Now anyone - can you give me your 3 best pieces of evidence that we live on a sphere?

Now i am talking fist hand evidence from your own senses not some dis info piece /excuse that was linked earlier today.

Your senses you should trust as they helped you survive each and every day.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2024, 10:04 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

ok, at a base level:
1. when I look up at the sky during the day, I can see the sun. This appears in different positions at different times of the year, and different times of the day - my position on earth and the sun's position move (east to west) relative to each other. This implies that the object I am standing on, and the sun, are moving relative to each other. The fact that the sun reappears in the east on the following day implies that one is circling the other. If the earth was flat, I suppose that the sun could circle the "underside" of a flat earth, but that wouldn't explain how the same phenomenon appears for each city (and place) around the world.
2. I have flown around the world a number of times. The sunrise and sunset I observed in each city aligns with the "round earth" doctrine. Travel distances between cities also align with a round earth - have you ever looked at flight times between cities on the furthest edge of whatever flat earth map you follow? Look at the flight time between for example between Santiago and Sydney (or whatever cities you believe are at opposite sides of your flat earth. It is impossible to have flight distances as they are between major cities across the globe with a flat earth. This is not science, it is just logic.
3. If logic is a sense, then I cannot see it feasible that so many people would create a giant fraud to fool the population. It would serve no purpose, and be impossible to maintain.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2024, 23:06 
Super User

So let me get this right - you look up at the sun daily and your conclusion is it is the earth that is moving every 24 hours around the sun lol.

Now all your senses bar none tell you are standing on a stationary earth and further your eyes can surely only indicate to you that it is the sun that is moving.

Why because it moves at a decent rate and this is easily observable.

As for so many would have to be in on it - complete nonsense.

It is obviously a top down conspiracy so over 99 percent are kept in the dark believing the lies.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 961 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65  Next