OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:45

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2016, 11:55 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

I guess all the reasons I can think of have already been mentioned.
The biggest reason for me is that forum members here are friendly and very patient with one another. We are friends here!
I find there is another forum that is generally very hostile. There, I find that a thread is made, then people go off topic, and then start arguing and arguing for things that are not even related to the original topic. How frustrating!

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2016, 17:27 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
birchamboi wrote:
I'd hate to spoil the love fest, but a lot of the "good stuff" being posted here either doesn't interest me or doesn't match my experience. I get why people are saying the signal to noise ratio is good but suspect that's mainly because most people think and feel the same way about the "important" issues. Hand in hand with that is the excellent moderation we have here: haggisv and co are very good at putting out fires. The problem with that, however, is people may then feel as if offering an opinion which is not well received means they are not valued and then stop contributing.

Why do I keep coming back?. It's a question I regularly ask myself. I'm not at all interested in the dark side, which pretty much excludes me from all of those enthralling pips A versus pips B threads as well as a whole load of the blogs. Threads which are more inverted friendly seem to be the domain of a small group of posters, and the downside of that is a distinct lack of breadth of ideas. I guess you can't have a forum which is as helpful to both inverted and pips.

Pretty much the only reasons I have for visiting are videos of JSH and the hope that debater will post one of his investigative video series.

Thanks for being honest and strong enough to challenge the "love fest" atmosphere - and no I'm not being sarcastic. I agree that sometimes it can feel like everyone is patting each other on the back in these threads and that there is a perceived pressure on people to be "nice" which could drive some constructive discussion away. I can get bored of people patting each other on the back. And by the same tone, I can get fed up of people who's only line of argument is to try and bully and shout others down. There have been occasions when that approach has been tried by forum members on this forum. Members have been suspended / banned or left. Like you say though a lot of the "policing" on this forum is done behind the scenes either between members who challenge the behaviour of others through PM's or by the moderators.

This forum isn't a place for ego's, or a place to use to brag or show off. And this is possibly where I differ from you, I find this forum very challenging because I know if I post something which is ridiculous or highly unlikely I will be challenged on it - but politiely. And knowing that makes me think very hard about what I post and that's the way it should be unless I'm asking a question where I need information to form an opinion.

If I post LKT Torrent is the fastest inverted rubber in the world, I'm going to get challenged and rightly so. For example, I'd expect to be asked what blade I'd used, what other rubbers I'd tried, what style of play and experience I have. However, if I'd put "I've used LKT Torrent and 729 geo tacky and the Torrent is much faster on my Balsa blade" I've posted something far more useful and no-one needs to challenge me about it. And that's what I like about this place, people generally think about what they are posting and how it can help others before they post it (hence the review template being devised) and if people post well, there will be less discussion because it's not needed.

There have been occasions here when a member has repeatedly made outlandish claims about equipment but reputations are easy to gain and hard to lose and not tolerated. And there are definitely occasions when I've had heated exchanges with forum members. I know from experience my opinions and attitude annoy some forum members and theirs mine. However, with those forum members an understanding is reached and respected by all parties and there are some topics where we wil agree.

Regarding the inverted content, how about adding to that yourself, sharing your experiences more, taking responsibiltiy for encouraging discussion in those sections. It's only by actively posting that the forum and section like the inverted one flourishes.

As I say, thanks birchamboi for being an alternative voice in what could have turned out to be a very sickly pat on the back topic.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2016, 19:31 
Super User

Debater wrote:
thanks birchamboi for being an alternative voice in what could have turned out to be a very sickly pat on the back topic.

Thanks for the thanks, debater. However, you didn't pick up the other comment I made which was specifically about you:
birchamdboi wrote:
Pretty much the only reasons I have for visiting are videos of JSH and the hope that debater will post one of his investigative video series.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2016, 22:19 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Debater wrote:

Could be Improved:
3. Too friendly: People can feel uncomfortable challenging other peoples opinons
4. Lack of healthy discussion: see pt 2 above

Good:

4. Positivity: Discussion's are conducted in a polite by challenging manner [low signal-to-noise ratio]

You probably want to change it to 'high signal-to-noise-ratio'. Oh, I'm sorry - if that comment was too friendly, I can try harder: "Damn it, you ignorant fool, don't they teach you anything in the schools in your godforsaken place? Where I'm from, everyone knows that high S/N ratio is the good stuff. No wonder you can't play and your equipment sucks too." :P

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2016, 00:32 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

birchamboi wrote:
Debater wrote:
thanks birchamboi for being an alternative voice in what could have turned out to be a very sickly pat on the back topic.

Thanks for the thanks, debater. However, you didn't pick up the other comment I made which was specifically about you:
birchamdboi wrote:

:) I had surgery on my back in September which hasn't gone as well as hoped. When I make those types of videos there is a lot of time spent sitting at my PC editing. That's not possible at the moment and is unlikely for a while to come yet which is very frustrating but I have to put my health first. Thanks for the feedback and interest though ;)

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2016, 00:44 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

pgpg wrote:
You probably want to change it to 'high signal-to-noise-ratio'. Oh, I'm sorry - if that comment was too friendly, I can try harder: "Damn it, you ignorant fool, don't they teach you anything in the schools in your godforsaken place? Where I'm from, everyone knows that high S/N ratio is the good stuff. No wonder you can't play and your equipment sucks too." :P

There was a teacher at a school I went to - yeah hard to believe I went to school after making that mistake - and he used to make mistakes, but every time we pointed them out he'd say "Ah good, you noticed my deliberate mistake. I was just checking you were paying attention, well done". Well guess what, I'm not that teacher. Blast you noticed my total cock up and had the cheek to point it. Have you no shame? If it wasn't for the fact we're thousands of miles apart pgpg I'd have gotten out my sucky equipment and proved to you just how bad I really am at this game. :topspin: :mooning:

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2016, 01:14 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Debater wrote:
pgpg wrote:

There was a teacher at a school I went to - yeah hard to believe I went to school after making that mistake - and he used to make mistakes, but every time we pointed them out he'd say "Ah good, you noticed my deliberate mistake. I was just checking you were paying attention, well done". Well guess what, I'm not that teacher. Blast you noticed my total cock up and had the cheek to point it. Have you no shame? If it wasn't for the fact we're thousands of miles apart pgpg I'd have gotten out my sucky equipment and proved to you just how bad I really am at this game. :topspin: :mooning:

Now we're getting somewhere and I feel like we already significantly elevated the level of discourse here! Politeness be damned. :bow: :clap: :lol: :P :

P.S. I now learned where to find 'mooning' smiley - thanks! And I suspect 'topspin' one should be called something else entirely. :rofl:

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2016, 12:15 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
There are plenty of forums dominated by double inverted players who only care about that kind of stuff. What I like most that this forum is it's a gathering place for the minority of players who use alternative rubbers.

I like that this forum is the most informed when it comes to the nefarious dealings of the ITTF.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2016, 14:45 
Super User

Blade: GiantDragon Kris2
FH: DHS H3 Neo
BH: Who Knows???
mynamenotbob wrote:
There are plenty of forums dominated by double inverted players who only care about that kind of stuff. What I like most that this forum is it's a gathering place for the minority of players who use alternative rubbers.

I like that this forum is the most informed when it comes to the nefarious dealings of the ITTF.

I love the forum for its diversity - and there aren't people complaining about pimples or antis all the time!
OOAK genuinely seems like it has some of the friendliest, most helpful tt players on the internet.

Help me find a new blade please!

Only self-proclaimed unofficial spin doctor of OOAK. Call me Joe or musicfreak :rock:
The author of How Spin Works. The Official How Spin Works Thread. How Spin Works goes to India! See my 3D Printed/Laser Cut blade experiment blog.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2016, 17:52 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
tapatalk compatible. :)

Sent from my S5G using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2016, 18:01 
My Precious

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Joola Golden Tango
BH: Tibhar Dtecs OX
I love the Ooak Forum all the wonderful information on all things TT & as I use Re- Impact Blades we have Haggisv & Kees who could ask for more? :up: 8) :rock: :party:

See the ball, be the ball...

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2016, 19:31 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Summary of points in first post now updated.

Thanks for your contributions. Interesting that what some see as good points, others see as bad points.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2016, 07:59 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
When Haggisv started the forum, the membership and culture were way different.

Haggis has managed to keep the overall feel and functionality (think NOT disfunctional) despite large numbers. (Despite Der_Echte registering)

Me, I never was a pips player, but players are players and there is good stuff on OOAK.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2016, 21:17 
Super User

Blade: GiantDragon Kris2
FH: DHS H3 Neo
BH: Who Knows???
birchamboi wrote:
Why do I keep coming back?. It's a question I regularly ask myself.

Similarly, a question I regularly ask myself is, "Where am I?", which is almost always followed by "And what the heck am I doing here?"
Inevitably, I come back to this forum looking for answers, before remembering that I am on the couch, and have once again fallen asleep writing an essay, promptly forgotten about it, and gotten completely sidetracked.

Help me find a new blade please!

Only self-proclaimed unofficial spin doctor of OOAK. Call me Joe or musicfreak :rock:
The author of How Spin Works. The Official How Spin Works Thread. How Spin Works goes to India! See my 3D Printed/Laser Cut blade experiment blog.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2016, 07:34 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Family circumstances mean that I can't play as much as I would like.

So I come here to immerse myself as a second best thing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next