OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 03:31

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: Brexit Wins!
PostPosted: 25 Jun 2016, 11:39 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Lorre wrote:
iskandar taib wrote:
You think the Greeks would leave? :lol:

Iskandar

If you hold a referendum there, I bet most of the Greeks want Europe out. The way Europe dealt with Greece in the past was a disgrace for humanity.

Maybe, maybe not, but that'd cut off the cash for sure... :lol: Why do you suppose Syriza backed off all the promises?

Iskandar

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2016, 15:12 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

Whether the UK stays or leaves doesn't affect me, but I do feel a sense of uneasiness looking at the result of the referendum.
I am sad to see the referendum has brought "division" amongst the people of the UK: half said "yes" and half said "no".
Division between the "young" and the "old".
Division between different regions of the UK.
The road ahead is rough, but I believe the UK can make it if the people stay "united". Hey, the name is "United" Kingdom, isn't it?

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2016, 20:57 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
iskandar taib wrote:
Maybe, maybe not, but that'd cut off the cash for sure... :lol: Why do you suppose Syriza backed off all the promises?

Iskandar

True, it would cut of the cash, but going bancrupt has some good sides too. I view it a bit like the reset button.
Syriza had to choose between the pest and the cholera, because Europe didn't give them any space: it was the Trojka's way or going bancrupt. Some of them chose the pest, others departed out of the party. Siryza wanted to invest to come out of the crisis and stop the austerity: Europe only wants to cut down on the national economies and the people paying for this cutting down are the low class and the middle class, making the difference between the most poor and the most rich a lot bigger again.

As a sidenote: http://www.newstatesman.com/world-affairs/2015/07/exclusive-yanis-varoufakis-opens-about-his-five-month-battle-save-greece and what he says about meetings at the heighest level. Baffled!

I don't know how the Brexit was translated into the media in other countries, but here almost only con-brexit puppets were on the media here. There were two strands of these people: 1) explain better what Europe does and all will be fine; 2) we need not less Europe, but another Europe. The latter was a minority group. So it'll be business like usual after a couple of days, until the next shock. That one will probably be bigger, again.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2016, 13:58 
My Precious

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Joola Golden Tango
BH: Tibhar Dtecs OX
Debater wrote:

1. Don't panic, don't panic captain "reference to a TV show called Dad's Army"
2. Cheers of joy - regaining indepence

Loved Dad's Army & that was Lance Corporal Jones "saying don't panic to Captain Mainwaring"
Being a self funded retiree it will probably hurt a little but I'll be doing what Lance Corporal Jones recommends "DON'T PANIC"

See the ball, be the ball...

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2016, 21:08 
Super User

Blade: Zhang Jike SZLC
FH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Blk
BH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Red
Re-action here has been one of disbelief. Although we were aware that the UK weren't happy being governed by Europe we never thought that they would actually cut the cord. I think the exit voters were under-estimated and a bigger push should have been done by the 'remain camp' to stay.

Given the slim majority vote imagine that a looser arrangement will be put in place akin to something like Norway.

It's unlikely we'll see a re-introduction of Passport control going over into Northern Ireland and customs border control - it will be sad day that if that happens again.

Hate to think of the theoretical implications of a drop in Euro buying power which translates into a dearer US$. Sterling will also drop in value so the current Euro to Sterling rate will probably remain as it is. A dearer Dollar will mean that imports will be more expensive and will have inflationary effects and result in higher interest rates. Within Europe Ireland will be impacted the most by Brexit in the area employment and our exports. Thankfully we're not as dependant on the UK as were historically.

Opportunities could arise where it may become more economic to manufacture in Europe than to have China dominate as the manufacturing capital of the world. If Trump got in God forbid he has advocated to shift the dependency away from China.

With my limited understanding of economics the EC was a way collectively for Europe to compete on the world stage. With the exit of the UK, Europe will be less competitive.

Did read that Cameron got some concessions but this didn't go far enough. Core problem has been the stronghold of Merkel. Her leadership is over. Mass immigration has had its price but I can live better with the decision that humanity prevailed over economics.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2016, 11:39 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

There'll probably be passport control going into Scotland, too, before long... ;) If you into collecting paper money, better get those Scottish Pounds before they disappear...

Iskandar

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2016, 20:10 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I've read a lot about what the Brexit is all about over the last week or so, and it's a huge topic all over the news here every day! Most people seem very unhappy about it. :( I find it hard to believe that so many people voted for it! :o :o :o

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2016, 21:42 
Super User

Blade: AfroBro Custom
FH: Rasanter R53
BH: Vega X
haggisv wrote:
I've read a lot about what the Brexit is all about over the last week or so, and it's a huge topic all over the news here every day! Most people seem very unhappy about it. :( I find it hard to believe that so many people voted for it! :o :o :o

There is a lot of anger, probably made worse because it was such a narrow result. A lot of misinformation, lies and scaremongering from both the Leave and Remain campaigns in the run-up to voting day too. A lot of chaos at the moment, could turn nasty if not careful.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2016, 22:08 
Super User

Blade: Acoustic Carbon Inner ST
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Rakza Z
AndySmith wrote:
There is a lot of anger, probably made worse because it was such a narrow result. A lot of misinformation, lies and scaremongering from both the Leave and Remain campaigns in the run-up to voting day too. A lot of chaos at the moment, could turn nasty if not careful.

It's already turned nasty for a lot of people. https://www.facebook.com/sarah.leblanc. ... 919&type=3

We get the politicians dog-whistling in Australia too.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2016, 22:45 
Super User

Blade: AfroBro Custom
FH: Rasanter R53
BH: Vega X
hangdog wrote:
AndySmith wrote:

It's already turned nasty for a lot of people. https://www.facebook.com/sarah.leblanc. ... 919&type=3

We get the politicians dog-whistling in Australia too.

There was a bad incident on a tram in Manchester this morning too. Bigots (by which I don't mean all Leave voters, obviously) seem to be emboldened, probably thinking that the vote means some people of the "wrong" origin will be deported. There are some deeply stupid people around.

Hard to say for sure if incidents like this have increased or if they're getting more coverage now. My gut feeling is that they're increased, but could be wrong.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2016, 21:22 

Blade: Donic Waldner
I wonder what Farage's plan was all along. Why step down just a few days after winning the referendum

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2016, 00:42 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
waldnerd wrote:
I wonder what Farage's plan was all along. Why step down just a few days after winning the referendum

Good question. Just like Johnson... Probably too cowardly to take responsibility for their country.