OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:37

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Brexit Wins!
PostPosted: 24 Jun 2016, 14:05 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Wow, sounds like the vote is pretty over, and Britain will leave the EU!

I'm not sure about the implications of this, but it's certainly rocked the market and currencies! :o :o :o

I certainly don't want this to turn into a political discussion, but thought we could a friendly discussion about how this is likely to affect your country.

Post subject: Re: Brexit Wins!
PostPosted: 24 Jun 2016, 15:19 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Blade: Dr Neubauer High Tec Plus
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Tibhar Hybrid K3
Rather selfishly, I am hoping the Aussie dollar drops against the USD rapidly! For a while, at least...

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2016, 16:27 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
I believe this will feed coservative and far right winged streams all over Europe to start similar processes in each contry to leave EU. More and more seem to be interested in closing borders and just focus on their own problems. Dark dark times ;(

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2016, 16:30 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
I'm old enough to remember the effect of Britain having to devalue the pound in 1967 and going cap in hand to the International Monetary Fund in the 70's.

The pounds already dropped, oil is traded in dollars. Everything revolves around oil. Inflation will come, interest rate rises will come. A large part of my savings for my retirement are in investments and the FTSE is set to drop 8.5%.

What does it mean for me - from a selfish point of view my financial future is at best uncertain, at worst critical.

What does it mean for my country - who knows, but Scotland remained in the UK and a big part of that was they would have had to reapply for membership of the EU and have lost the "privileges" gained whilst a member of the UK. The majority of people in Scotland 62% voted to remain in the EU. Already people are talking that the rest of the UK and in particular England has voted Scotland out of the EU and they want another referendum about whether to stay in the UK or not.

There's two reactions being portrayed in the UK

1. Don't panic, don't panic captain "reference to a TV show called Dad's Army"
2. Cheers of joy - regaining indepence

To be honest I think this is an inditement of how out of touch politicians have become with the people on the ground and the media who quoted 50 minutes after the polls closed, a story that Nigel Farage had allegedly been heard conceding defeat as all the media expected the UK to vote to remain.

I don't think this is just about the UK. The ramifications for the rest of Europe is large. The UK was a net contributor, who in Europe will now pick up the bill left by the UK that ran out of the restaurant. The strain on the rest of Europe will be huge and there will be a push for other countries to vote.

Personally I think it was a vote that as soon as it was called there were going to be no winners in the UK. If we voted to stay, we'd be at the mercy of Europe who would feel they had a free hand to do what they wanted with us. If we leave, back door entry in to Europe by multinationals would end and trade wise and currency wise we're at huge risk.

I'll end with this thought. There were 2 world wars in the 20th Century and Europe was at the heart of both of them. For century's before that the UK was often at war with neighbours. Since we joined the EEC we've not been at war with anyone in Europe. What price peace.

What's it mean for me. Absolute massive uncertainty. Uncertainty breads opportunity. Opportunity for success or failure. Who knows.

In line with the country of my birth I now feel I must respect the philosophy portrayed my the majority and will leave this international community known as the OOAK Forum.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2016, 16:52 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
PRW wrote:
Rather selfishly, I am hoping the Aussie dollar drops against the USD rapidly! For a while, at least...

Are you looking or a return visit here soon?

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2016, 17:07 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Debater wrote:
In line with the country of my birth I now feel I must respect the philosophy portrayed my the majority and will leave this international community known as the OOAK Forum.

Why would you need to leave OOAK due to the BRexit Debater?

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2016, 20:56 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
I'm absolutely gutted :( Narrow-minded closet racism under the guise of "concerns over immigration" has swept across our working class and, led by the likes of Farage, incited them to vote Leave.

The stats show that young people voted overwhelmingly for Remain whereas the older folks voted for Leave. It's the younger people who will have to endure a future without EU trade and support, in control of right-wing groups led by the likes of Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and Nigel Farage.

Genuinely sad and worrying times.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2016, 21:19 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Being a member of the EU has absolutely more advantages than disadvantages, but TBH: if my country would hold a referendum, I'd doubt. Why? Because, although I support the idea of an EU, how the EU works today is self-defeating. The only democratic institute in Europe is the European Parliament, but it isn't the most influential and decisive one in the EU. A lot of decisions are taken by institutions not elected by the Europeans and in a direction not supported by Europeans.

So people don't feel represented by the EU and the Brexit is the first result of this. The EU has only to blame themselves for this. I suspect other countries will follow (The Netherlands, France, Greece,...). But what will change eventually? In the long end not much, because the European countries need each other.

IMO in the end it's more symbolic than anything else, but it puts change into motion and that's something the EU needs. It can react good to this identity crisis and become stronger. Or it can react like they usually do and the EU as an institution will come to an end. I hope it's the first one.

You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2016, 22:37 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Def-attack wrote:
I believe this will feed coservative and far right winged streams all over Europe to start similar processes in each contry to leave EU. More and more seem to be interested in closing borders and just focus on their own problems. Dark dark times ;(

I agree, money breeds conservative winds, and sadly, with that fiscal conservatism typically comes social conservatism. Certainly is the case here, where otherwise moderate conservatives are buying in to scary ideology, no matter how embarrassing the package.
See: Trump and his wall-building rhetoric.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2016, 23:03 

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Debater wrote:

Why would you need to leave OOAK due to the BRexit Debater?

He kids...he kids...

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2016, 00:09 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
PRW wrote:

Are you looking or a return visit here soon?

I will probably return in 2 or 3 years time - depends on the WA economy. As you know, WA's economy seems to be strongly linked to the iron ore price, which is strongly linked to China, which is strongly linked to - who knows.

I will still visit once or twice a year, as I left my kids there! :D

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2016, 01:19 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Lorre wrote:
I suspect other countries will follow (The Netherlands, France, Greece,...). But what will change eventually? In the long end not much, because the European countries need each other.

You think the Greeks would leave? :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2016, 01:45 
Super User

Blade: DonicWaldnerSenso
FH: Sriver FX-Max
BH: TSP Curl P-1R 0.5
dunc wrote:
I'm absolutely gutted :( Narrow-minded closet racism under the guise of "concerns over immigration" has swept across our working class and, led by the likes of Farage, incited them to vote Leave.

The stats show that young people voted overwhelmingly for Remain whereas the older folks voted for Leave. It's the younger people who will have to endure a future without EU trade and support, in control of right-wing groups led by the likes of Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and Nigel Farage.

Genuinely sad and worrying times.

Totally agree with everything you said above, dunc. I feel ashamed to be British, TBH. I am just astonished that we have got to a state where this has even been considered, let alone happened or been vouchsafed to the xenophobic narrow-mindedness of many of our citizens to decide upon. I feel a teensy bit sorry for Cameron, but more angry that he used such a ruse as a means to get him elected last year - and now look what has happened.
BTW, I'm 'older' (late 50s) and everyone I know in my generation voted Remain, as well as my son and his generation.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2016, 02:10 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
iskandar taib wrote:
You think the Greeks would leave? :lol:

Iskandar

If you hold a referendum there, I bet most of the Greeks want Europe out. The way Europe dealt with Greece in the past was a disgrace for humanity.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2016, 02:14 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

it's like a star employee working in a bad job - taking more and more responsibility, while being mistreated. Eventually, the employee decides to leave, so at least they can control their own destiny - and the employer suddenly is full of regret that they weren't treated better, and begs them to stay... perhaps the EU should have looked after the British a bit better.

No skin in the game, just a view from the outside