OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 16:17

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2016, 19:17 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Heh.. Pikachu were once very rare, but right now they're everywhere. Caught three since last night, and these were all wearing Christmas hats! :lol: Guess it's that time of the year again.

Quite interesting watching people playing - during the last event (double points) there were entire extended families - mom, dad, grandpa, granddad, four or five kids down to the four year old - all wandering around the square as a group, each with a phone. One woman actually had TWO phones on some sort of cradle, which she held in front of her nose as she walked around. This was in addition to the cars crawling and stopping their way around the block. All of a sudden some message goes out (probably social media of some sort) and everyone starts walking and running real fast in one direction. Someone mentions "Hokkien Mee" and within three minutes there must've been 60-70 people in front of the Hokkien Mee restaurant.. :lol: They were all after Ditto, it seems - a new Pokémon that can disguise itself. (In America, a "dittohead" is a rabid follower of a certain right-wing radio gasbag.. :lol: )

Iskandar

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2016, 23:22 
Super User

Blade: Timo Boll Spirit
FH: H3 neo 40 Degrees
BH: Tenergy 05
Haha no one in the airport seems to play it anymore it seems isk. Used to be loads of ppl parked beside taxiways cause rare Pokemons all over there.

And as u know lots of pokestops.

Let's see if the update on new Pokemons will change that

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2016, 01:46 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

They've introduced two that you can get from eggs only (probably to encourage incubator sales). I wonder where they'll fit on the Pokedex - one is supposed to be the "less evolved" Pikachu but the space right before Pikachu is already taken. And they don't seem to have added anything after what was last (that orange dragon thing that kinda looks like Barney).

I wonder if Christmas Pikachu get to keep the Christmas hat after Christmas, or if you evolve him into a Raichu. Still need to catch a few more to find out. Funny how people are putting them in gyms (CP's usually less than 500), like they were putting Ditto in gyms. They get knocked over very quickly.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2016, 23:55 
Super User

Pichu and dragonite respectively?

rarity trumps power levels sometimes

maybe more of a gym attraction less on the challenge in this case.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2016, 01:35 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Yeah, and there's also togepi. So far haven't hatched any yet. Might actually buy a couple of incubators.

Pokedex mystery solved. They extended it!! Used to stop at Orange Barney (#149) but they've added more squares, there's 238 now! Kinda pity that guy in the newspapers who made the news because he'd "caught them all". Now he's got to catch another 89 of them!

As you can imagine, the bottom 88 squares are all unoccupied at the moment. Saw a new one today (in a gym) - a little blonde girl with huge lips waving her arms, occupying #238. Had a good laugh. I suspect it's a less-evolved Jynx (which also gave me a belly laugh, first time I saw one, also in a gym). If so Pichu will probably be in the lower 89. Rather inconvenient if you're evolving a bunch of the things with a Happy Egg, er, Lucky Egg.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2016, 02:35 
Super User

haha i used to play pokemon until gold and silver, after that not so much, i pretty much knows most of the pokemon until that point.

im guessing most of the next gen on pokemon go would be from the gold and silver then with emergence of pichu
maybe my fav new element of this expansion would be the steel type pokemons! watch out for them!!!
onyx evolve to steelix
skarmory
i think scyther also can evolve into steel type iirc

theres also dark elemental which is a bit meh to me , but strong nonetheless.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2016, 17:39 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Huh.. I must've hatched a Pichu without realizing it, there it was sitting at the end of the list. Funny how it lists "Pikachu" candy even if it's now the "base model".

There's already a couple of the steel type pokemon in the list - there's that thing with the two magnets and what looks like three of it joined together. So far I've only seen three, one was in a gym.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2016, 20:22 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
Huh.. I must've hatched a Pichu without realizing it, there it was sitting at the end of the list. Funny how it lists "Pikachu" candy even if it's now the "base model".

There's already a couple of the steel type pokemon in the list - there's that thing with the two magnets and what looks like three of it joined together. So far I've only seen three, one was in a gym.

Iskandar

magnetite and magnemite! lulz why u hate to remember their names tho it seems hahaha

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2016, 20:45 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I guess I'm not really a Pokémon fan... :lol: Never did understand it. I had friends who were. I ran the anime club in college, we had shows every weekend (usually just a small group of us) and then Pokémon showed up on American TV. Some friends of mine (mainly in Chicago) got interested, started playing the game (on Game Boys, if I'm not mistaken - you had to hook them up with a cable) and watched the TV shows. But I never did get into it. I remembered Pikachu of course (who wouldn't? It was EVERYWHERE... :lol: ) but not much else (except that Butterfree.. "Free! Free! Free!" - who could forget that..). There was this other friend of mine who couldn't understand it, either - she couldn't figure out why you had to capture creatures, who would then fight other peoples' creatures because they LOVED you.. she said it was some sort of a cross between cockfighting and white slavery... :lol: :lol: :lol: As you can imagine, a lot of people who weren't into it made fun of it incessantly.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2016, 21:11 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
I guess I'm not really a Pokémon fan... :lol: Never did understand it. I had friends who were. I ran the anime club in college, we had shows every weekend (usually just a small group of us) and then Pokémon showed up on American TV. Some friends of mine (mainly in Chicago) got interested, started playing the game (on Game Boys, if I'm not mistaken - you had to hook them up with a cable) and watched the TV shows. But I never did get into it. I remembered Pikachu of course (who wouldn't? It was EVERYWHERE... :lol: ) but not much else (except that Butterfree.. "Free! Free! Free!" - who could forget that..). There was this other friend of mine who couldn't understand it, either - she couldn't figure out why you had to capture creatures, who would then fight other peoples' creatures because they LOVED you.. she said it was some sort of a cross between cockfighting and white slavery... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Iskandar

ooo for me its more of my childhood days you know gameboy etc
nowadasy i just drive around my nephews and nieces when they wanna go pokestop and all
teach them bout value of porygon and magmar lulz.

your friend is not wrong, i wouldnt use my cat to fight other cats lulz in real life it doesnt work that way
every fight harbours injury that makes u T.T

p.s its magnemite and magnetron lulz i was wrong

pichu falls under the baby version of pikachu
theres cleffa for clefairy
elekid for electabuzz
jynx one i forgot ( and hate as well.)
theres also hitmontop baby of hitmon lee and hitmon chan

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2016, 21:18 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

My friends (who were into Pokémon) were all college age or older - Pokémon appeared well into my adulthood so it's not a childhood memory for me.

I THINK Smoochums is the baby Jynx. Looks very much like a child version of Jynx. Both gave me a belly laugh when I came across them (people had put them in gyms). Did a double take... WHAT THE HECK ARE THOSE???

It's a lot funnier when you see them in motion. Don't think I'd want to run into either on a dark night... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2016, 21:32 
Super User

Yuck now i remember why i hate the jynx family hahaha

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2016, 18:45 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I suppose even Pokémon Go has some cruel/questionable aspects to it. You only have so much storage (unless you buy upgrades, like I did, and even then it's just a bigger limit) so you can't keep every pokemon you catch. (Just checked - since August 8th I've caught an astounding 6,815 pokemon! :lol: About 50 a day..) So you keep the big ones - that you can use in fights - and what happens to the rest? You squeeze all the essence out of them (stardust and candy) and chuck the poor things away.. :lol: You can't say that to kids, of course, so they make it more palatable by calling it "transferring" to the "Professor" (wonder what HE does with them), but it amounts to the same thing... :lol: I've chucked away hundreds of pigeons and rats by now.

I suppose it's a fairly harmless and amusing way to waste time (and get out and do some walking), though, if you don't think too much about such things.. :lol: Fun to observe other people, too. And I use it to annoy the guy who runs Weekend Doubles - I keep telling him about the gym just down the road from his house and how I'm going to "conquer" it after we finish playing.. And I tell him the reason I was late was because I stopped to buy gas and there were five pokemon behind the gas station... :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2016, 23:42 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
I suppose even Pokémon Go has some cruel/questionable aspects to it. You only have so much storage (unless you buy upgrades, like I did, and even then it's just a bigger limit) so you can't keep every pokemon you catch. (Just checked - since August 8th I've caught an astounding 6,815 pokemon! :lol: About 50 a day..) So you keep the big ones - that you can use in fights - and what happens to the rest? You squeeze all the essence out of them (stardust and candy) and chuck the poor things away.. :lol: You can't say that to kids, of course, so they make it more palatable by calling it "transferring" to the "Professor" (wonder what HE does with them), but it amounts to the same thing... :lol: I've chucked away hundreds of pigeons and rats by now.

I suppose it's a fairly harmless and amusing way to waste time (and get out and do some walking), though, if you don't think too much about such things.. :lol: Fun to observe other people, too. And I use it to annoy the guy who runs Weekend Doubles - I keep telling him about the gym just down the road from his house and how I'm going to "conquer" it after we finish playing.. And I tell him the reason I was late was because I stopped to buy gas and there were five pokemon behind the gas station... :lol:

Iskandar

You ran out of evil things to do mangggg

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2017, 19:34 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Hmmm.. Turned 33 at exactly midnight of Chinese New Year's Day. Level 33, that is... In table tennis terms, that's about 2400, though considerably easier and you don't have to practice.... :lol: (7 day streak bonus plus Lucky Egg - X2, caught something - a rat, I think it was.. 5000+ points for the one rat. That's levelling up in style, even if I say so myself..) Quite a good haul of "special" pokemon over the Christmas season, too - two Pichu, a Togepi, a Smoochums, three Elekids (evolved one) and no fewer than four Magbies. Missed one, can't remember what it was but I saw it in a gym. Elekid made me laugh - sure, it's electric, but does it HAVE to have a two-pronged (American) electric plug for a head? I suppose you could plug it into the wall (in the US) to charge it up...

There was someone riding around on a folding bike, with a phone bracket on the handlebars with TWO phones. I'll bet one of these days I'll see someone with three phones.. and that will be photograph time.

Iskandar