OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:33

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2017, 14:55 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

I have been driving for almost 40 years now, and soon will be due to get a replacement car. Someone asked me if I would consider buying an electric car. I said, "no, it never crossed my mind." I still love the internal combustion engine. :)
What are your thoughts? Are you ready to have a battery powering your next car?

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2017, 15:34 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Yes, I want one but they don't have good range, so only good for getting around in my local area. I'd still need a real car for long distance trips.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2017, 17:31 
I am Legend
I am Legend

You need to look at:
1) Charging infrastructure in your local area.
2) Ability to install charging hardware in your garage.
3) Range - your usage requirements,if you have a 2nd car, etc, etc
4) Cost.

You may be better off getting a PHEV if you still want an electric thing.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2017, 17:41 
Super User

Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
Right now I think most ppl can get those "Hyper-milers" cars ? That do both Electric and Gas-turbine/internal-combustion stuff ?

I think one of the advantages of Electric cars is the ability to charge other electric devices or act as a "generator".

If I am not mistaken, an electric car can GENERATE electricity ? If somebody towed it or rolled it down the hill ? So no need to carry fuel. Just have some tow-trucks and tow the electric car around for some 20 - 30 miles and u got yourself EXTRA range ! :-D

If the tow-trucks were giant batteries / electric trucks then maybe even do a quick-charge on the fly ! You shouldn't have to stop your electric car to recharge the battery.

Right now the electrical infrastructure doesn't yet fully support an all-electric car. Unless you are a millionaire and can afford them Teslas :-D

1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2017, 00:31 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Blade: Dr Neubauer High Tec Plus
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Tibhar Hybrid K3
for some people, it certainly makes sense: many of the people I work with have electric cars. Free charging at work, the ability to travel in the HOV lane, Federal rebate of $7,500, plus State rebate - for my colleague, the gas saving pays for the car payments. He charges at work every day. He has a truck he leaves at home, that his wife drives occasionally, and he uses for very long trips. With ranges now extending over 200 miles, not just for Teslas, they are viable as an only car for most people. They are great to drive in the city, with maximum torque at 0 rpm. A Tesla at 2.7 secs 0-100km/h is a surreal experience, in silence except for a tire chirp.

I don't have an electric car, but a number of electric bicycles, that I ride to work and for fun on the weekends. Acceleration is surprising - on one of the bikes, I have to lean forward, and turn the throttle very slowly, otherwise the bike will wheelie and put me on my tailbone!

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2017, 00:35 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Gas turbines? :lol:

I think you mean hybrids.. like the Toyota Prius. Indeed, hybrid cars and electric cars "generate their own electricity" while braking (it's called "regenerative braking") but if you're thinking about some kind of closed-cycle perpetual motion machine where the car's motion drives a generator that supplies power to the car's motor, this is about fourth grade level physics.. at least, the idea usually occurs to people when they're around 10 years of age.. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2017, 01:26 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

If I had a second car with longer range for road trips and my area wasn't crazy hot, I would.

Sadly my area is crazy hot and having the air-con on all of the time just kills the battery.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2017, 05:40 
Super User

Blade: DonicWaldnerSenso
FH: Sriver FX-Max
BH: TSP Curl P-1R 0.5
Nope, I wouldn't... because I don't drive. :devil:

But I have an electric bike (Cube Cross Hybrid Pro) and I love it. I'm 60 next year and cycling has been my chief means of transport for 50 years, so I thought I deserved a break.

In the Uk the Government have decreed that no new diesel or petrol cars will be legal after 2040, but I think they'll be obsolete long before then.

If I were to live long enough until driverless electric cars were mainstream and you didn't need an old-fashioned driving licence, I'd be first in the queue.
As it is I'm at the head of the Beam-Me-Up queue. ;)

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2017, 14:50 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
PRW wrote:
I don't have an electric car, but a number of electric bicycles, that I ride to work and for fun on the weekends. Acceleration is surprising - on one of the bikes, I have to lean forward, and turn the throttle very slowly, otherwise the bike will wheelie and put me on my tailbone!

I had a laugh picturing that....and then I I felt sorry for your pain :lol:

There's still a heavy premium on the cost of electric cars here, and most are hybrids. I've heard stories of false economy and environmental benefits. The batteries take a lot of environmental resources to produce, are expensive to replace and you still need to buy fuel, albeit a lot less than a normally asparated car. I'm sure technology and resources will eventually get to the point where the advantages are compelling, but not yet.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2017, 17:13 
I am Legend
I am Legend

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
]

There's still a heavy premium on the cost of electric cars here, and most are hybrids. I've heard stories of false economy and environmental benefits. The batteries take a lot of environmental resources to produce, are expensive to replace and you still need to buy fuel, albeit a lot less than a normally asparated car. I'm sure technology and resources will eventually get to the point where the advantages are compelling, but not yet.

there is a brand new tesla shop up here.

we are also building a supercharger network up the coast (bris to cns). will be compatible with the two major interface standards. not sure of completion date. free to use, but not sure when that expires.

i heard AGL is also doing a '$1 a day' tariff for EV/PHEVs. probably a saving of 3 or 4 bucks if you did a full charge daily (based on about 27c/kwh)

a guy i work with got an outlander phev. i think he was filling up around once a month of daily use and getting near the adveetised 1.9l/100km. early reviews on that car did say they didnt get anywhere near that though. i suspect you need to adjust your driving habits including charging habits.

Personally, I ride a pushbike. In fact, i just got a shiny new one...

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2017, 17:19 
I am Legend
I am Legend

PRW wrote:

one of my friends put one of those 1200W bafang kits onto his hardtail fat bike. he does the same thing and has shredded a few non belted tyres.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2017, 22:05 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
If I was still driving a car, I'd get electric, when they hit practical.

But I have a German-made pedelec bike. I have to pedal to keep the motor running. In the top mode, it gives me 80% boost, and 20% in eco mode. I have managed about 90 miles between recharging (it's a big battery) although they claim 125 is possible. Probably would be on the flat with no wind ever. Pedelecs have the major advantage of being legal across the EU for road use without registration, and they are probably the best way to keep fit for an older person, because you keep moving, without the feeling that you're "too old for this stuff". Since getting it, I have also found that I can cycle longer distances on my normal pedal bike as well (and I've lost 50lbs of weight).

I gave up driving a car a few years back, but now bike more miles per year than I used to drive. (Except when I have a broken wrist, which is now suffciently better that I can cycle again).

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2017, 22:58 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Blade: Dr Neubauer High Tec Plus
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Tibhar Hybrid K3
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
PRW wrote:

and.... when it happens at a major set of traffic lights, with a whole lot of people in cars watching, the pain is mixed with a fair dose of embarrassment! I wasn't watching the lights, looked up and realized that the lights had turned green, and grabbed too much throttle - the bike landed in the middle of the interchange, with me sitting about 5m away! :)

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2017, 00:49 
Super User

Blade: OSP Ultimate II
FH: Xiom Ω VII Asia Max
BH: Xiom Ω VII Asia Max
No place to charge it and the range is too short for it to be the only car in the household.

Hybrids make more sense at the moment. Even so, with the price premium of a hybrid vs gas and the amount of miles that I drive per year, at the current cost of gas (about $2.20/gallon), it would take me 10 years to break even. So even a hybrid is not a good choice for me. I would consider a hybrid if the price premium was less or if the price of gas were to get into the $4+ range though.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2017, 01:34 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
You obviously don't live in the UK. Roughly $5/gallon here.
Quote:
at the current cost of gas (about $2.20/gallon), it would take me 10 years to break even. So even a hybrid is not a good choice for me. I would consider a hybrid if the price premium was less or if the price of gas were to get into the $4+ range though.