OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 18:10

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2017, 09:58 
Super User

Blade: custom bent handle
FH: mercury
BH: nik g1
The joy of never having to go to a smelly gas station as you can charge your car from home solar panels, 90% less service charges as no oil changes and 10% moving parts, much less vibration and much faster acceleration than normal gas car. Much more fun to drive!!

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2017, 13:00 
I am Legend
I am Legend

maurice101 wrote:
The joy of never having to go to a smelly gas station as you can charge your car from home solar panels, 90% less service charges as no oil changes and 10% moving parts, much less vibration and much faster acceleration than normal gas car. Much more fun to drive!!

Not quite. You're only charging your car off your home PV if your car is at home and plugged in during the day. Unlikely, if it's your primary car and you drive it to work.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2017, 13:43 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Good point, you're home at night and the sun is down.. :lol:

I have heard of schemes to use cars to STORE excess power (which can be used for the home at other times), since they will have large batteries. Haven't really thought about it much, but I wonder how practical this would be given the car is away from home during the day. I suppose if you extend the concept to the grid in general, times of low usage (and hence excess capacity) will occur late at night, and it would be useful to charge up cars then. I suppose if your car's batteries are large enough you could drain the batteries to power stuff in the house in the early evening after you get home (a time of peak electrical usage) and charge them up late at night, thus levelling out demand during the day (if everyone does it).

What ever happened to the Segway? Wasn't it supposed to revolutionize the way people move themselves around cities? I suppose now you have all these Chinese knock-off "hoverboards" as well (which are Segways sans the handle).

Just came across this, incidentally:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segway_polo

:lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2017, 14:02 
I am Legend
I am Legend

We (not me) did some prelim trials a few years back on discharging cars at peak, however it really ended up in the too-hard-basket. If you discharge in the evening when everyone switches on their oven, kettle, stove, whatever, yep, you get reasonable grid support and just defer the peak to, say, midnight. But then, what if you need to use your car later that night? Stick a big "defer" button on the charger?

If everyone had 25minute superchargers in their households, it could work (completely ignoring the infrastructure requirements for these chargers).

Also, EVs typically come home at less than optimal charge levels, so the amount of storage you get might be pointless. And if you charge while your car is at work, you have to worry about infrastructure again and so on.

I'm sure some enterprising utility/retailer with the charge infrastructure and enough customers on PV could offer basic "charge off your pv" type plans though - even if in reality it doesn't actually work like that.

It's too bad that citroen (?) hoist-n-swap fast battery change technology didn't go anywhere.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2017, 16:06 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

Two videos on electric cars:

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2017, 16:14 
Super User

Blade: custom bent handle
FH: mercury
BH: nik g1
I am retired so can charge at home for free. :)

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2017, 16:57 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I suppose once self-driving cars become the norm then maybe electric cars used as storage might make more sense... Car drops you off at work, then self-drives to a car park to charge, or picks up other passengers and then goes to charge when the battery gets low. Picks you up after work, drops you off at home, drives off to another car park to charge (or get used as part of a huge communal battery).

Someone's left a whole bunch of ugly yellow rentable bicycles on campus.. haven't tried them yet (have to download yet another app.. :lol: ). Probably some offshoot of a Chinese company (they're supposedly all over large Chinese cities these days).

maurice101 wrote:
I am retired so can charge at home for free. :)

There's still the electric bill.. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2017, 20:09 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
There are a load of bike docks all over London (about 750) where you can get bikes for reasonable hire rates, via a phone app of course. Also, even my local train station has a bike hire scheme, so I suspect that is now common. Makes a lot of sense for a place like Norwich, which is quite small as cities go, and was built largely before the advent of motor traffic. The only problem is the average crazy car driver, many of whom do not think rationally at all.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2017, 21:57 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

From what I've been reading, and the bikes here are the same, the Chinese dispense with the docks.. the bikes are lined up on the sidewalk, when you're done you simply lock it and leave it. I suppose they're GPS-tracked so the company can periodically find and gather them if they're left somewhat inconvenient. I read that keeping them in working order is a problem.. a large proportion of the ones on Chinese streets are unserviceable at any given time. Don't know how they prevent theft and pilferage, either. There's​ money in it, apparently it's growing so fast they​ are becoming a nuisance, and local governments are starting to regulate and limit them (apparently that's how it's done in China.. anything not forbidden is allowed, until someone realizes it has become a problem, at which point it's cracked down upon).
Around here the ones who drive with scant regard to the rules are motorcyclists, the ones who ride the Honda Cub type things. They made some really nice bike lanes around the square near where I live and the motorbikers have taken them over already.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2017, 22:08 
I am Legend
I am Legend

iskandar taib wrote:
Someone's left a whole bunch of ugly yellow rentable bicycles on campus.. haven't tried them yet (have to download yet another app.. :lol: ). Probably some offshoot of a Chinese company (they're supposedly all over large Chinese cities these days).

I was reading something the other day that GoBike has invaded melbourne and people are pissed off at bikes lying around everywhere.

So on charging the car, while I don't deny that we're (especially here in aus) we're burning coal to charge up cars, it's really just the start of a long process to convert to greener technologies. AGL for example has made a promise to close all coal plants by 2050 or something with gas plants as interim.
There's been around 2GW of solar farms proposed in the last 18 mths just in my state - approx 1/4 of the state's peak demand.

Of course, how to manage solar during peak demand (eg, 6pm) is another matter... And lets ignore the carbon cost of manufacturing panels...

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2017, 23:18 
Super User

Blade: AfroBro Custom
FH: Rasanter R53
BH: Vega X
Silver wrote:
maurice101 wrote:

Not quite. You're only charging your car off your home PV if your car is at home and plugged in during the day. Unlikely, if it's your primary car and you drive it to work.

This is why solar panels combined with battery storage at home will be the way to go in the future. Then your solar works for you regardless of your daily routine. Even IKEA have realised this.

My next car will be electric, but they fit my work/lifestyle needs perfectly. They won't suit everyone so well.

My boss has an i3 with the REX in the boot. Amazing car, and the REX soothes his range anxiety.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2017, 08:10 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Yes definitely. PV + battery, unfortunately while the PV costs have come down, battery tech hasnt fallen in cost as fast. We've been mucking around with batteries in both inside the residence and on a street-, surburb- and feeder- level.

I saw a presentation a few months ago about a company (sunverge I think) was running a wide area PV + batt trial in south aus in conjunction with AGL, on the concept of a virtual power plant - all the batteries coordinated by a single system to enable aus electricity market nem bidding. Interesting idea.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2017, 08:36 
Super User

Blade: DonicWaldnerSenso
FH: Sriver FX-Max
BH: TSP Curl P-1R 0.5
iskandar taib wrote:
What ever happened to the Segway? Wasn't it supposed to revolutionize the way people move themselves around cities? I suppose now you have all these Chinese knock-off "hoverboards" as well (which are Segways sans the handle).

Just came across this, incidentally:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segway_polo

:lol:

Iskandar

Segways are fab. I had a go on one a few years back and it was great - just a shame you can't carry much luggage on them. When I was in Prague a couple of years ago they were everywhere and really handy for tourists zipping around the hills.
In the UK you can't ride them on the road legally, and you can't ride them on the pavement (sidewalk) either, which doesn't leave much...

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2017, 12:45 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

From what I understand, the Segways they sell to the general public are toned down versions, max speed 10mph. The ones available to law enforcement, etc. are a great deal peppier. There are even off-road versions with big wheels. There was a piece on NPR years ago about a Sherriff's department somewhere in the US that used Segways to respond to reports of wild moose on city streets. Apparently the moose couldn't stand the sound of Segways for some reason, so they'd just drive them off by approaching.

According to Wikipedia, the Segway company is now owned by a Chinese conglomerate and their primary product is, ironically enough, one of those hande-less hoverboard things. Apparently they sell a lot to people with huge warehouses, like Amazon.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2017, 07:30 
Super User

Blade: AfroBro Custom
FH: Rasanter R53
BH: Vega X
It's still early days for mass battery storage for sure. The price is dropping somewhat, but the main kpi to watch is energy density, which is increasing a lot. Small scale applications are within reach for home consumers now, and big installations are being commissioned at the government level. The rate of change is incredible in this sector. Huge projects combined with domestic level uplift. The middle ground is lagging behind, but supply and demand for battery storage isn't stable yet. It will come though.

Super exciting times to live in for sure.