OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 17:15

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2018, 08:05 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
Hey guys, I'm aware of the flat earth thread and I thought I'd make a new thread that's sort of like that, and it's about something pretty controversial: Evolution! :whew: :P Well, I actually don't intend to make this thread like the flat earth one; my actual purpose on making this thread is to get some feedback on whether or not you guys see it as fact, as something false, or you don't really know/you never really cared, etc.

I'd also like to say that this is NOT a troll post. I'm dead serious; I just want to see what you guys think about it. I will also respect all of your views/beliefs and I won't push mine, but I will present them upon request and give reasons as to why I think the way I think. I hope that the making of this thread won't turn out to be bad :sweat:

I will also admit that another reason why I'm making this post is because I'm in a stage of life where I'm really questioning things, and just diving into things like, "Why am I alive?" "Do I have a purpose in life?" Y'know, things like that. For me personally, I know evolution is generally accepted as fact, but I like to be very skeptical of things in general and before I'm totally sure of what my stance on that is, I thought I'd go online and hopefully be able to discuss this civilly and thoughtfully with others. So yeah, Hi guys. Ima go back to admiring my pips and rubbing them against my fingers.

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2018, 08:41 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
I listened to some podcasts about darwin a while back.
life and death are a mystery.i believe that we just go back into the system when we die,
Attachment:
nevertrustanatom_newthumb.png
nevertrustanatom_newthumb.png [ 162.81 KiB | Viewed 2241 times ]

skilless_slapper wrote:
Damn, she was breaking that ass down! :rofl:

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2018, 09:07 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
Controversial? It may have been controversial in the 19th century but not today, unless you take some extreme religious views seriously. There has been sufficient and increasing physical and biological evidence for more than a century. In addition, it has been supported over the last couple of decades by a large body of genetic research.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2018, 23:45 
Super User

Blade: Acoustic Carbon Inner ST
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Rakza Z
No offence, Dan, but having seen what happens to online forums when creationism vs evolution comes up, I’d recommend killing this thread with fire…

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2018, 07:24 
Super User

Oh. Well I sincerely hope that my comments were not inflammatory. I would like to point out that I do not believe that creationism and evolution are necessarily incongruous. I don’t see why a creator cannot be credited with both creating life and having the insight to foresee how it would evolve. I used the word ‘extreme’ only as it relates to my own life experiences, which is all any of us can do. I learnt about evolution in biology classes in the 1970’s. This was a Catholic school. Most of my family members and friends today who hold religious beliefs also accept evolution. They understand that the Bible was written thousands of years ago and as such it reflects the lore and knowledge of its time. That does not in any way diminish the essential messages and moral teachings contained within it.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2018, 08:20 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Are choppers above or below loopers on the evolution tree?

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2018, 09:29 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
I tried Evolution. I think it's over-rated. Bit too bouncy with not much feel for me. Didn't like it.

Choppers came first in the evolution tree. Unfortunately, like elders these days, they have less and less respect. Alas, like most dinosaurs they will become extinct, or maybe the whole sport of table tennis will become extinct unless it evolves. Now there's a topic to start.... must go.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2018, 09:38 
Super User

As an all-rounder, I must be either a hybrid or a transitional form. ;)

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2018, 09:40 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
Dusty054 wrote:

Or just confused about your true nature. :)

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2018, 10:00 
Super User

Debater wrote:
Dusty054 wrote:

Or just confused about your true nature. :)

:lol:

Adapting to my environment has certainly become more difficult since the extinction of my frictionless ancestors.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2018, 10:28 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

One way to put it is that modern biology would be incomprehensible without evolution. It wouldn't make sense.

Evolution schmevolution. How about this idea that continents wander around the surface of the earth?? :lol: (Yeah, I'm a geologist. And yeah, I've come across the odd "Young Earth" proponent in the past...)

Iskandar

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2018, 11:09 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
First I played with Cobra 3 star rubber.

Then Mark V.

Then Magic Carbon.

Then Friendship 729 RITC Tack-speed 2000.

Then Joola Tango.

Then Stag Thunderspin.

Then ... (the missing link, gotta have a missing link)

Now Evolution FXP & Butterfly Tenergy 05. The pinnacle? I think not.

There is a season for everything and everything has a season.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2018, 18:59 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
haha, this thread didn't turn into a quick flame war, I'm glad about that :whew: You guys really know how to turn things into humorous situations xd
Dusty, your comments weren't inflammatory at all, so lol, it's ok :lol: You gave the kind of response I was looking for if you fully read my first post, although I was kind of hoping for a more detailed and in-depth answer (The kind of answer Kees would give for TT :P ).
Also, hangdog, I'm very aware about Creationism vs. Evolution debates, and I'm not here to debate, so no worries, haha ;) I stated in my original post that, "my actual purpose on making this thread is to get some feedback on whether or not you guys see it as fact, as something false, or you don't really know/you never really cared, etc." Also, there are groups of people who believe in neither of those, so keep that in mind as well :up:

iskandar taib wrote:
One way to put it is that modern biology would be incomprehensible without evolution. It wouldn't make sense.

Evolution schmevolution. How about this idea that continents wander around the surface of the earth?? :lol: (Yeah, I'm a geologist. And yeah, I've come across the odd "Young Earth" proponent in the past...)

Iskandar

I hope you don't mind me asking, but would you be so kind as to offer a more detailed explanation/analysis of your first two statements (I put them in bold xd) :angel:

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2018, 21:10 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I'm going to pull an Igor and post this, which I just came across. A pretty good read.

https://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2 ... rwinmania/

Iskandar

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2018, 23:21 
Super User

Danthespearton HQ wrote:
Dusty, your comments weren't inflammatory at all, so lol, it's ok :lol: You gave the kind of response I was looking for if you fully read my first post, although I was kind of hoping for a more detailed and in-depth answer (The kind of answer Kees would give for TT :P ).

It would be extremely difficult for me to detail all of the reasons why I think that evolution is factual. I’ve been observing it for my whole life. I remember a sense of wonderment as a small boy after reading William Golding’s “The Inheritors”. Although it is a work of fiction, it sparked an interest in natural and human history. I’ve since had a strong interest in quite a few of the Life Sciences, particularly biology, ecology and paleontology. I have had a more recent interest in paleoanthropology and paleogenetics.

When I first read about natural selection it made complete sense and I didn’t even realise that it was the basis of a famous ‘theory’. Just seemed like common sense to me. Maybe you’ll feel the same. Maybe not. The only way to find out is to read a text or two on the topic. One that I would still recommend even though it is now 25 years old is Edward O. Wilson’s “The Diversity of Life”. But there are many others.