OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 15:43

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 22 May 2018, 22:14 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
I have never been
to one.

Besides high level TT players. What type of non Table Tennis people go there ?

Preppies, members of the gay and lesbian community ?

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 22 May 2018, 22:17 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
LOOPOVER wrote:
I have never been
to one.

In a trolling mood?

PostPosted: 22 May 2018, 22:43 
Super User

pgpg wrote:
LOOPOVER wrote:
I have never been
to one.

In a trolling mood?

No, each bar from my experience takes on their own type of patrons, professionals, old or young, working class, there are bars which do have mostly gay and lesbians patrons, there are country and western patrons, etc etc.

I understand it is expensive so what type of patrons do they attract ?

PostPosted: 23 May 2018, 00:36 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
Haven't been there in a very long time, but the Spin in New York ranges from hipsters to fratboys depending on the night.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 23 May 2018, 01:10 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
It's NYC. You will get people from all walks of life.

I saw nothing but tourists in there when I went. It's near the village and the garment district, so....you'll get lots of variety, which is the spice of life! That's one of the reasons I love big cities like NY, SF, DC.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 23 May 2018, 08:45 
Pimple Popper
Pimple Popper

While the tounge in cheek is noted, SPIN is actually a highly successful business model.

What I can see from here, A majority of their clientele and income is derived from events/corporate events, and large team building exercises etc. They get big groups from companies and whatnot in that pay $$$ to play table tennis and do "team building", i'm sure there's more - but that's quite clear to me.

All the "other stuff" and partying and bar stuff - That's publicity, in order to attract those above. It's a table tennis bar but it's only partially geared at players. I'm sure if I rocked up to one, I'd probably have a brilliant time - but unless the timing is right the place will probably not be that busy and there is unlikely to be much "competition".

Happy to be corrected!

"slappy slappy slappity slap"

PostPosted: 23 May 2018, 08:54 
Super User

SuperHappyFunSlider wrote:
While the tounge in cheek is noted, SPIN is actually a highly successful business model.

What I can see from here, A majority of their clientele and income is derived from events/corporate events, and large team building exercises etc. They get big groups from companies and whatnot in that pay $$$ to play table tennis and do "team building", i'm sure there's more - but that's quite clear to me.

All the "other stuff" and partying and bar stuff - That's publicity, in order to attract those above. It's a table tennis bar but it's only partially geared at players. I'm sure if I rocked up to one, I'd probably have a brilliant time - but unless the timing is right the place will probably not be that busy and there is unlikely to be much "competition".

Happy to be corrected!

Do you think it is a fad or can be sustainable for the long run ?

PostPosted: 23 May 2018, 09:15 
Pimple Popper
Pimple Popper

LOOPOVER wrote:

Happy to be corrected!

The corporate side - 100% not a fad. Team building is always a big money spinner for corporate. Spin have been very clever in gearing their proposition to these kinds of people and I don't expect it to end any time soon.

The other side - time will tell I guess? If you look at bowling and Darts, the attempts to modernize worked really well at the time and had lasting effect. I'd like to think Table tennis is a far better sport (not biased at all) and can do even better, the people behind this business are very clever after all!

PostPosted: 23 May 2018, 09:44 
Super User

LOOPOVER wrote:

Happy to be corrected!

The corporate side - 100% not a fad. Team building is always a big money spinner for corporate. Spin have been very clever in gearing their proposition to these kinds of people and I don't expect it to end any time soon.

The other side - time will tell I guess? If you look at bowling and Darts, the attempts to modernize worked really well at the time and had lasting effect. I'd like to think Table tennis is a far better sport (not biased at all) and can do even better, the people behind this business are very clever after all!

From my vast business experience, they will need to have several corporations involved monthly on a consistent basis to be successful. It seems to be a risky business business venture. I would say the odds are against them to last 5 years at each location. When they reach that time period, then their odds for success go up a lot. An extended recession period for the economy usually spells disaster for this type of venture.

PostPosted: 23 May 2018, 10:09 
Super User

LOOPOVER wrote:
I would say the odds are against them to last 5 years at each location.

SPIN NYC established 2009. Unless my maths is out, that's more than 5 years.

PostPosted: 23 May 2018, 10:09 
Pimple Popper
Pimple Popper

Quote:

From my vast business experience, they will need to have several corporations involved monthly on a consistent basis to be successful. It seems to be a risky business business venture. I would say the odds are against them to last 5 years at each location. When they reach that time period, then their odds for success go up a lot. An extended recession period for the economy usually spells disaster for this type of venture.

I'll agree to disagree mostly with this - I think that it's not as risky as it seems, being how common these sorts of things are even here in Australia, just a minor state capital city. I work for an organisation that regularly sends individual teams to these sorts of things - and previous companies I worked at were huge on it as well.

You're right though, It's very much a part of today's start up culture - I would not be surprised if some closed within the 5 years, but I predict if they close it won't be due to lack of interest of profit - just "bigger and better things". All the guys investing in these are celebrities, silicon valley types, EC and whatnot.

Any kind of economic disaster generally puts these businesses to bed, for sure. What company wants to spend money on morale when their bottom line is being busted up?

PostPosted: 23 May 2018, 10:50 
Super User

If you have a group of rich investors, who are from a social clique, then if this type of venture gives them a place to hang out together, they may not be too concerned with profits as long as they are breaking even. How long this hobby investment will last when they have to continually fund the operation is just a guess.

PostPosted: 23 May 2018, 15:10 
Super User

birchamboi wrote:
LOOPOVER wrote:
I would say the odds are against them to last 5 years at each location.

SPIN NYC established 2009. Unless my maths is out, that's more than 5 years.

This location is solid. This is the 1st location and their investors were friends in the area, they may not have been concerned with profits too much as long as they break even without further funding.

PostPosted: 23 May 2018, 15:19 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

What about Killerspin? :lol:

https://www.killerspin.com/

Iskandar

PostPosted: 23 May 2018, 16:02 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
What about Killerspin? :lol:

https://www.killerspin.com/

Iskandar

Start a new thread for them, they are a different type of business.