OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:04

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2013, 19:31 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I only ever try the clop-block with a LP rubber without sponge, but I can't see any reason why it's not viable when used with a thin sponge.

Does anyone play the chop-block with a LP rubber with sponge?

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2013, 20:41 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
have done this with Feint 3 0.5 with good results in practise but there rarely seems to be an opportunity to use it in matchplay when it`s more intense,it is my favourite thing when I get the chance,what type of balls should I be looking to chopblock?

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2013, 20:50 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Medium paced loops are usually the best...both slow spinny and fast loops tend to be harder to control.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2013, 23:25 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Blade: BBC Doubl Diamond
FH: Prasidha Tokyo Max
BH: RITC 755 OX
I have, no choice when I played at my friend George's work office, there is no room at the back for me to back up, which is good for my close to the table LP practices. :)

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2013, 23:49 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

A friend of mine chop blocks my best loops for winners often with a very disturbing climbing and fading away flight path, sooooo anoying and basically non returnable. He uses inverted and 802-40 both with lots of sponge so that's irrelevant other than it being an effective shot.

His are actually more of a chop block kill smash.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2013, 03:42 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
I find the best time to chopblock is when the ball is coming into your body with some pace and you have little time to do anything else

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2013, 08:26 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

tatlwai wrote:
I have, no choice when I played at my friend George's work office, there is no room at the back for me to back up, which is good for my close to the table LP practices. :)

That's with OX, right?

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2013, 16:05 
Super User

I would have assumed OX was better for chop blocking because, as a relatively passive stroke, doesn't it really need maximum spin reversal? And, as a rule of thumb, don't OX LPs have more spin reversal than with sponge?

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2013, 17:39 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I think you're quite right there. However the chop-block does need a short but sharp downwards motion which adds a lot to the (reversed) spin and helps take the pace off, so I'm wondering how effective this is with sponge.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2013, 01:50 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
haggisv wrote:
I only ever try the clop-block with a LP rubber with sponge, but I can't see any reason why it's not viable when used with a thin sponge.

I assume you mean without sponge here? Slight change of meaning to the whole thing otherwise LOL :P

Given I rarely use sponged LP these days, its hard to answer. When I did long ago, I think it worked pretty well. I seem to recall doing this with C7 when I played with that and getting decent reversal.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2013, 08:36 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
haggisv wrote:
I only ever try the clop-block with a LP rubber with sponge, but I can't see any reason why it's not viable when used with a thin sponge.

I assume you mean without sponge here? Slight change of meaning to the whole thing otherwise LOL :P

Given I rarely use sponged LP these days, its hard to answer. When I did long ago, I think it worked pretty well. I seem to recall doing this with C7 when I played with that and getting decent reversal.

You're right, thanks Reb! Good to see most people here are mind-readers and got my message regardless.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2013, 11:00 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
You're right, thanks Reb! Good to see most people here are mind-readers and got my message regardless.

except me!!!

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2014, 20:18 

haggisv wrote:
I think you're quite right there. However the chop-block does need a short but sharp downwards motion which adds a lot to the (reversed) spin and helps take the pace off, so I'm wondering how effective this is with sponge.

It can be effective but it is more difficult to control the ball. Without sponge the spin of the ball is not so important than with sponge. That's why a lot of players use OX pimples close to the table. But for attacking at the table usually sponged pimples have better options.
So it is a question of playing style.

Coach at WSA and modern defender.
Racket:
BTY T05 (2,1mm) - BTY Joo Se Hyuk, straight - TSP Curl P4 (1,5)

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2014, 20:55 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Blade: Victas Matsushita Off
FH: Tibhar EL-s 1.9
BH: Victas Curl P1V 1.0
There are many videos of this German guy who chop-blocks (with OX) very often. It's Varatio, who is forum moderator of a German pimple forum and who is also a member of this forum. Here's just one random example:

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2014, 08:32 

Pipsy wrote:
There are many videos of this German guy who chop-blocks (with OX) very often. It's Varatio, who is forum moderator of a German pimple forum and who is also a member of this forum. Here's just one random example:

I do not use that German guy chop-block style (it is deadly if do it right), I use this safer chop-block style

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!