OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:28

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2014, 18:43 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I find myself often in trouble when a player plays a deep float to my pimples. It often happens when I'm brough in close for a short ball, and then they push a deep float to the backhand. I've heard one of my regular practice partners tell me that whenever we play game and they find themselves out of position, a deep float to my backhand gets them back into the point.

I find these balls hard to attack, and I'm not consistant enough to flip over the bat and loop it with inverted, so I usually end up chopping it back deep, which certainly get an attacker back into thew point.

What do others do in this situation?

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2014, 19:02 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
Have you considered twiddling and chopping with the inverted?

185g

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2014, 07:12 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

That's a good thought actually... worth a try against player that uses it regularly. :up:

Normally I'm not quick enough to twiddle in between points, so I tend to only twiddle on serves, pushing rallies (rare) and or perhaps a set play.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2014, 14:30 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
What is a deep float?

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2014, 14:37 

Can you attack the short ball? If you see it coming rush in and hit it off the bounce deep to BH.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2014, 20:39 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

nathanso wrote:
What is a deep float?

A deep ball with little spin.

pakman wrote:
Can you attack the short ball? If you see it coming rush in and hit it off the bounce deep to BH.

Yes if I was quick enough... which I'm not :oops: I think I need some speed training 8)

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2014, 04:11 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Man, I walked around the house for months with a bat in my hand practising twiddling before attempting defence. I can flip it between shots, twice if I want but it's all a bit useless when your only good chop is the forehand side..... :rofl:

By the way my solution to your problem was to use sponge and grippy pips.. Because I had no solution to make ox lp playable :D

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2014, 04:35 

^This.

Unless your twiddling skills and anticipation are good then this can be a real problem for OX on the BH, and indeed the reason why I stopped using them. I have switched to thick sponged and spinny LP (Curl P4 1.5mm) to enable me to attack or to generate some spin with a push at the table. P4 seems to be very versatile in this regard ... I BH looped the ball past someone from 5/6 ft back from the table the other night with P4!

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2014, 09:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
What I did...went to double inverted :envy:

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2014, 12:33 
Reverend Reversal

Blade: Rendler Smart
FH: Hurricane 8 hard
BH: Grass DTechs OX
Or, you can switch to a Seemiller-style grip, and be able to use either LP or inverted to return them! :D

Blade - Rendler Smart FH - Hurricane 8 hard black BH - Grass DTechs OX red
Blade - BBC 9/10/9 FH - Hurricane 8 black BH - Dragon Talon OX red
Blade - Hallmark Aurora FH - Hurricane 8 black BH - Joola Badman OX red

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2014, 13:33 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

haggisv wrote:
I find myself often in trouble when a player plays a deep float to my pimples. It often happens when I'm brough in close for a short ball, and then they push a deep float to the backhand. I've heard one of my regular practice partners tell me that whenever we play game and they find themselves out of position, a deep float to my backhand gets them back into the point.

I find these balls hard to attack, and I'm not consistant enough to flip over the bat and loop it with inverted, so I usually end up chopping it back deep, which certainly get an attacker back into thew point.

What do others do in this situation?

I have trained with a Hall of Famer CNT coach to solve exactly this problem. The conclusion we have reached is I must twiddle to either attack it or chop it back with SP or inverted. The only other option is to anticipate it and use my FH on my BH corner to attack it, but it requires quick feet and excellent upper body strength to make it a point-ending shot (like Joo or CWX). I understood that I do not have what is takes anymore to execute this last option repeatedly in a match, so I learned to twiddle.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2014, 20:17 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Thanks for all the responses, much appreciated! :up: :up: :up:

Yes if I expect the ball there I usually run around and play a slow spinny loop, which sometimes give them trouble and it alos gives me time to get back into position.

I should probably continue to work on twiddling as well. I can certainly twiddle fast enough, but it takes me too long to make the decision to twiddle. My BH attack with inverted is incomsistant, but my chop is quite good, so that's another good option. :up:

Changing BH rubber is not really an option for me... I enjoy LPs too much, and it's working well for me in other areas.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2014, 22:03 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
I can certainly twiddle fast enough, but it takes me too long to make the decision to twiddle.

This would also be my main source of difficulty. Depending on the player and how often I need to twiddle, the decision comes to the forefront of my mind and I end up doing it more often with less effort. In the beginning it just always takes the first few times to realize I am going to need to twiddle for the specific recurring circumstance, then it comes out a lot more naturally.

I was playing with the Dtecs OX and one of the reason I switched to sponge was to have more control over this shot. But these days my backhand inverted game is better than ever.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2014, 22:14 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
There is a hoard of tens of thousands of older Korean ladies using D-Techs OX on BH who train specifically to deal with this and dedicate 30 minutes a day bumping the ball back and forth with the OX at medium pace as fast as they can manage and still land it.

Therefore, my advice would be to train how to execute a medium pace BH flat hit and land it to an uncomfortable zone, like their crossover. This is a staple of the better, wiser amature SP players in Korea.

Stepping around is the answer, but what if player feels rushed? Twiddling is a good thing, and if you have a great BH loopkill, why not? Then again, who has such a BH and who has the time/awareness to twiddle? One can cut it back to play it safe, heck, at least you didn't recklessly lose the point, but that is giving away initiative, which could tip the scales in the direction of losing the point anywayz.

Learning how to hit at that medium fast speed and still land it is a skill not mastered right away and you have to have a partner with some OX or thin sponge LP willing to spend the time with you on that. Maybe you could set up an advanced robot to give you that kind of ball, but practicing it live is what works best.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2014, 23:01 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Blade: BBC Doubl Diamond
FH: Prasidha Tokyo Max
BH: RITC 755 OX
Practice, practice and more practice hitting with this kind of ball is one of the solutions.

If you have a table at home, push it close to one of the walls (or a return board is ok too), start hitting the ball with your forehand invert rubber (no top spin) to the other side of the table so that it bounce back to your backhand corner, the ball has no spin, simulating a deep float. You can vary your target of the first hit to make the ball high or low, deep or medium distance on the table; then practice hitting with your backhand LP. With your talent, you should soon find the right bat angle to land a strong flat hit on any corner you desire.

I used to have this same problem when I played with George and Yuman (a group of my regular practice partners), not anymore. If they do this, any kind of slow float balls, they got punished. :)