OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:31

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Minimal LP Strokes
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2016, 08:27 
Super User

Blade: Hallmark Aurora
FH: Haifu Dolphin
BH: Pogo
Beginning to train with LPs, I've identified 3 strokes that work consistently with my setup. I used Friendship 755 with a thin sponge.

I can "roll" (that's what it feels) underspun ball (like from an underspin serve) with some short looping stroke with my bh which my opponent sees as some type of dummy loop. If high enough, he can smash easily but lower ones are harder to kill.

Chop/block. This the bread and butter imo of this rubber. I use this for dealing with loops and any top spin ball that comes to my bh.
Block. Variant of above, but usually a failed chop/block.

Heavy Push for dealing with push attack.

Any thoughts? I feel this is enough for now on bh. Me and my partner were happily surprised at the consistency of the loop/roll. Not sure if I should be learning more for LPs or is just improving the above mentioned ok for right now?

Post subject: Re: Minimal LP Strokes
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2016, 14:26 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei F3 Pro (=TB ALC)
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Hellfire X/Dtecs ox
Yeah, thats quite right.

I might say...

1. Block
2. Roll

Those are standard (for me) against top and under, reversing the incoming spin.

3. Chop
4. Knock
5. Chicken wing block and knock

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2016, 17:31 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I think 755 with thin sponge is where I began with LP too. The way you are describing to use it sounds about right. You may find the control with it just doesn't quite feel right as you get better with it. That sounds like a paradox I know. But at the moment any lack of control sort of gets lost in the noise of everything else that's going on in the learning process. And perhaps at the level you are playing with it, the "free" points you get let the under-controlled shots get more easily forgiven. But as you improve with it and rise to play better players, any lack of control that exists gets exposed more.

A lot depends on which way you go with the LP game. If you get back and chop mostly, the control with sponge may be there. If you choose the chop/block game, you may find dropping back to Ox will help you gain that control. Blocking with sponge against good players with good loops becomes extremely difficult to get your bat angle consistently right to put the ball back time after time from loops of all sorts. The sponge deadens the "feel" you get of ball onto bat compared to Ox, which affects your ability to build those angles into muscle-memory. The sponge also adds catapult into the shot where you are trying to take pace off the ball...which is counter-productive.

Keep things going as they are for now, and just hone your strokes and observe how the ball comes off your rubber for different shots...try to keep a mental track of it. As your game develops and strengthens into a particular LP style, then think about whether sponge is helping or heeding you. Of course also bear in mind, sponge reduces or negates reversal too. Good LP players don't rely on reversal as a simple free point winner. Loopers at good level love simple reversal to build their spin on. But having reversal there allows you to varying the spin around incorporating it into complex angled shots, and at that point you gain back advantage by using reversal (and also not using it or varying it).

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2016, 14:05 
Super User

I'm not against going OX once I get my strokes down. Is my blade too fast for an OX setup or does it matter? it's pretty much all theoretical at this point since I don't want to change anything for awhile.

If you have a flip, is a push still necessary?

I realize handling long float balls is hard for all LPs, that being said, any suggestions?

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2016, 16:28 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
gus_goose wrote:
I'm not against going OX once I get my strokes down. Is my blade too fast for an OX setup or does it matter? it's pretty much all theoretical at this point since I don't want to change anything for awhile.

If you have a flip, is a push still necessary?

I realize handling long float balls is hard for all LPs, that being said, any suggestions?

Good pushing is crucial with LP IMO.

As for float balls, placement and touch are key. You're likely to be returning a float ball a little high...so try to place it where it can't be belted back. You'll need the touch, cos a float ball easily goes long off LP (and most rubbers).

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2016, 08:28 
Super User

Thanks Reborn!

I'm going to keep practicing my LP strokes, now if only I can get my fh stroke back since switching to shakehand has destroyed that.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!