OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 15:41

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Good Setup?
PostPosted: 08 Nov 2017, 15:41 
Super User

Blade: Hallmark Aurora
FH: Haifu Dolphin
BH: Pogo
Thinking of getting a new setup for LP blocking with some BH attack abilities.

Toxic 3
BH: Pogo LP OX
FH: Friendship 820-40

Currently I'm using Dr. N SuperBlock on custom defense blade. Looking for something cheap and legal. Thanks in advance,

Post subject: Re: Good Setup?
PostPosted: 08 Nov 2017, 15:43 
Super User

Sorry meant to put this in another section

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2017, 00:50 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Probably not a bad setup if you're playing at not too high a level. The blade is a bit slow and the rubbers won't send balls very fast off it (but it should give good control). The Pogo won't produce a huge effect although there should be some still, which may bother lower level opponents. Give it a go and let's know how it turns out for you.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2017, 11:39 
Super User

So is toxic 3 so slow that it's more "experimental?" Right now my FH is the regular Friendship 820 SP un-tuned. I figured the 820-40 with cream sponge boosted will fast and bouncy regardless of blade.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2017, 14:14 

Blade: Gionnis carb def
FH: H3-50
BH: Talon
I used to use 802-40 for a small bit. Helped me learn to properly use inverted.
Anyways I felt that reg 802 (not 40) with orange sponge was faster. But that’s my personal feeling.

If you want a cheap legal bat and live in the us. Drop me a dm. I got some blades I don’t use, and some long pips, and one last sheet of uncut 802-40 on orange sponge (should be fast, it’s hard Japanese sponge).

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2017, 18:31 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

gus_goose wrote:
So is toxic 3 so slow that it's more "experimental?" Right now my FH is the regular Friendship 820 SP un-tuned. I figured the 820-40 with cream sponge boosted will fast and bouncy regardless of blade.

Thoughts?

In my (albeit limited) experience the blade trumps the rubber when it comes to speed and especially feel. If the blade's slow getting fast rubber isn't going to make it faster than a faster blade with slow rubber.

I have, in idle moments, been thinking of getting a Toxic 3 to see what it's like - I've heard it's reminiscent of the old Hock 3 ply blades, which would be great for a defensive hardbat. Problem is they're not that easy to obtain. Local shop sells the 5 but not the 3. Eacheng carries neither.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2017, 21:32 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
iskandar taib wrote:
In my (albeit limited) experience the blade trumps the rubber when it comes to speed and especially feel. If the blade's slow getting fast rubber isn't going to make it faster than a faster blade with slow rubber.

Yep, I'd agree with this entirely. I have a Thibar S<C<3 setup that I sometimes play around with. I bought it as a DEF setup to try given its not a super slow DEF blade which would never suit me given the superfast setup I usually use. It plays like I'm in slow motion even though I have Gambler Outlaw on it. I've even used it in a couple of comp matches thinking it might give me superior control over some opponents I need to keep the ball short to. Bah! I got killed in one of those matches by someone I am generally 50/50 with. I couldn't send the ball fast enough at awkward angles despite the extra control it gives. So it gave the opponent way too much time to play killer shots. Other reasonably fast blades I have still produce reasonable speed from slower rubbers I'v had on them. I did once have Roxon 330 on my Gergely which had a super-soft mushy sponge...one of the slowest tensors I know of. It was a blocking machine and blocked with fair pace and great control...but it didn't produce much speed from its own creation.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!