OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 16:07

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Playing With LP - 101
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2018, 17:04 
Super User

Hi,

I'm in the process of switching from playing with a Double Inverted setup to a a Long Pips setup on the BH. The decision was primarily due to an elbow injury, and stiffness in legs (I can't move as fast, as I could)

First, a bit about my current skill-level, and style of play

• My level is beginner - intermediate, but I would be very new to long pips..
  • I play close to the table, but will move back(or try), mid-distance, if the situation demands...
  • My game is primarily over-the-table push/chop with heavy spin on the BH, and sudden medium-paced
    and spinny Loop/Topspin on the FH.
  • On the BH, I will occasional Drive the ball, or loop (with a Huge back-swing and whip action) when a plumb opportunity presents itself.
  • I typically passive-block top-spins to my BH .. But, if I happen to be away, I'll also chop back (mostly unsuccessfully).
  • Over-all, I rely more on placement, angles, and tact, rather than speed, and power

My new setup (Purchased but not assembled, yet)

• Donic Defplay Senso V3 blade
  • Xiom Vega Europe Max on FH
  • Either CTT Pogo or Dawei 388d-1 Long Pips on BH... I wanted something beginner friendly, these 2 LPs came highly recommeded... Couldn't decided, so bought both.

Now, I need to figure-out how to actually play with LPs, but don't know where to even begin. I require suggestions on the same, or an online LP training routine (progressing from Basics to intermediate, and so on), links to videos, tutorials etc, something to get me started.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2018, 12:00 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
ootbs wrote:
Hi,

I'm in the process of switching from playing with a Double Inverted setup to a a Long Pips setup on the BH. The decision was primarily due to an elbow injury, and stiffness in legs (I can't move as fast, as I could)

First, a bit about my current skill-level, and style of play

• My level is beginner - intermediate, but I would be very new to long pips..
  • I play close to the table, but will move back(or try), mid-distance, if the situation demands...
  • My game is primarily over-the-table push/chop with heavy spin on the BH, and sudden medium-paced
    and spinny Loop/Topspin on the FH.
  • On the BH, I will occasional Drive the ball, or loop (with a Huge back-swing and whip action) when a plumb opportunity presents itself.
  • I typically passive-block top-spins to my BH .. But, if I happen to be away, I'll also chop back (mostly unsuccessfully).
  • Over-all, I rely more on placement, angles, and tact, rather than speed, and power

My new setup (Purchased but not assembled, yet)

• Donic Defplay Senso V3 blade
  • Xiom Vega Europe Max on FH
  • Either CTT Pogo or Dawei 388d-1 Long Pips on BH... I wanted something beginner friendly, these 2 LPs came highly recommeded... Couldn't decided, so bought both.

Now, I need to figure-out how to actually play with LPs, but don't know where to even begin. I require suggestions on the same, or an online LP training routine (progressing from Basics to intermediate, and so on), links to videos, tutorials etc, something to get me started.

Search YouTube for videos from Greg Letts (he posts here occasionally too), Dr. Neubauer, and go from there - YT will suggest additional videos to you.

You can buy instructional DVDs from Dr. Neubauer (rather cheap now) and Sauer & Troger (expensive).

By the way - the best way to figure it out is by playing :). Watch better players in person, if you can. Practice against robot. Experiment with shots - hint: you can hit underspin with LP and produce very obnoxious balls.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2018, 16:26 
Super User

pgpg wrote:
Search YouTube for videos from Greg Letts (he posts here occasionally too), Dr. Neubauer, and go from there - YT will suggest additional videos to you.

You can buy instructional DVDs from Dr. Neubauer (rather cheap now) and Sauer & Troger (expensive).

By the way - the best way to figure it out is by playing :). Watch better players in person, if you can. Practice against robot. Experiment with shots - hint: you can hit underspin with LP and produce very obnoxious balls.

Hi pgpg,

Thanks for the suggestions...

Yes, I've seen training Videos of Greg Letts on YouTube. Although, I like the individual videos, I can't seem to find them in any particular order or structure... I'll keep looking... I didn't know that Dr. Neubauer & Sauer & Troger offer training videos too..

I don't have access to a Robot, and sadly, there's no LP player at the club, who's worth observing.. I guess, I'll have to stick videos and/or tutorials.. Perhaps, look to play at another club, where there're probably good LP players (Can't think of any, at this point)

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2018, 17:24 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
I don't know the author of this article, but it's quite informative:

https://medium.com/@ttdementor/https-me ... 1483b9c938

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2018, 18:51 
Super User

Dusty054 wrote:
I don't know the author of this article, but it's quite informative:

https://medium.com/@ttdementor/https-me ... 1483b9c938

Many thanks ... I went through it ... Quite detailed & informative.... This'll help..

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2018, 22:29 

Blade: Gionnis carb def
FH: H3-50
BH: Talon
In the Crop Circles review/post here, Coach McAfee posted links to his warm up routine. There are 7 or so videos. They were very important in helping me play with LP.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2018, 07:27 
Super User

Ehimle wrote:
In the Crop Circles review/post here, Coach McAfee posted links to his warm up routine. There are 7 or so videos. They were very important in helping me play with LP.
Hi.. I can't seem to find this... Could you paste the link here

Sent from my ASUS_Z012DB using Tapatalk