OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:32

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: LP OX vs plastic ball
PostPosted: 19 Mar 2018, 09:53 

Hi, I'm getting seriously depressed. For a few years now I'm playing with Andro Fibercomp with Talon OX. Up until the new balls showed up, I didn't really have to do much with my forehand. Reversal was very decent and I was able to chop/ chop block very low and short. Starting with the appearance of the plastic ball, short and low blocks don't create much problems for my opponents. I haven't lost much of my rating yet (still at 1900 us) but it's getting difficult. I either have to be very aggressive and do top spin/ smashes on my forehand or risk and push really deep to the left. Are there any other solutions, i.e. faster setup, other tactics, maybe changing to anti. Please help!

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2018, 11:18 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_po ... cking-game

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2018, 11:31 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
I often wonder what the best solution to the plastic ball is, especially for anti/LP players like myself. I've considered trying slick anti but if the spin is not there in the first place I don't know how any method aimed at increasing reversal will help much. For the time being I'm just going to focus on trying to play more actively on my BH, adding some variability in speed and aggression when I can, which I think plays to the strengths of the new ball. For this approach, I find that a thin sponge helps, although of course passive reversal is reduced even further.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2018, 11:43 
Pimple Popper
Pimple Popper

As a direct response to this change - I noticed too after my long break - I moved from LP to Anti. I tried low friction anti but find that it's just not the right type of game with these balls either, for me at least.

I've moved now over to a grippy, fast anti (Using Neo-Anti until my DMS Anti-attack arrives after the next tournament) and have focused on being far more aggressive at the table. Take away passive blocks and aim to keep the ball as fast as you can. with "less" distruption but "more" speed, you can potentially still cause people problems.

However This has taken a fair bit of practise to change - and still is very much work in progress. At least now I'm enjoying my table tennis far more.

"slappy slappy slappity slap"

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2018, 12:50 

The problem is that fifteen years of martial arts training left me with really bad knees and similarly bad elbows and shoulders. The backhand game fit me really well as I didn't have to turn too much to use my forehand. Oh well, I'm going to have to figure something out...

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2018, 13:29 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
nachalnik wrote:
The problem is that fifteen years of martial arts training left me with really bad knees and similarly bad elbows and shoulders. The backhand game fit me really well as I didn't have to turn too much to use my forehand. Oh well, I'm going to have to figure something out...

Well, perhaps the easiest mobility wise... is to twiddle and backhand attack with either pips or inverted.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2018, 16:36 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
I notice most of the better lp players in my leagues are using thin sponges under their pips allowing a more offensive game including at serve recieve but still with good defensive possibilities,I feel this is the way I will go and will test soon as we're near the end of the season

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2018, 21:24 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei F3 Pro (=TB ALC)
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Hellfire X/Dtecs ox
dazzler wrote:
I notice most of the better lp players in my leagues are using thin sponges under their pips allowing a more offensive game including at serve recieve but still with good defensive possibilities,I feel this is the way I will go and will test soon as we're near the end of the season

Yes, that's the way for me. I lost 100 rating points in the ball change - part of it was missing ox disturbance.

Now I play with Dtecs 0.5, which is safer than ox and it gives more active possibilities.

And with sponge you can play "real chopping", like in returning long serves. If someone serves long pendulum serve to my BH, with sponge I can chop it back low, safe and reasonably fast. With ox I have to take many serves with vertical blade head, which leads to lot of mistakes and soft returns that are slow and pop up a pit.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2018, 22:14 

Roy, how does the sponge affect the speed and control? Does it make the rubber significantly faster?

Thanks

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2018, 00:37 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei F3 Pro (=TB ALC)
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Hellfire X/Dtecs ox
nachalnik wrote:
Roy, how does the sponge affect the speed and control? Does it make the rubber significantly faster?
Thanks

I don't think that speed overall is much different between Dtecs oc vs. Dtecs 0.5. Hoever speed might depend on how you use the rubber - some shots might be faster with sponge and some not.

As a rule, if you keep shooting long, rubber is too fast, if balls go too often in to the net, it's too slow. I don't like too slow sponges with non-grippy pips, as they tend to produce slow and too easy balls with nothing on - with grippy pips slow sponge works ok.

Control is clearly better with sponge (with non-grippy pips) - I feel very confident to play like pips vs. pips duels with sponge. Of course, it all depends on your skills. But for allround play ox has more weaknessess (and also some strong points) and the "mistake for no reason" is always waiting behind the corner. Maybe it is that sponge just give bit more dwell and grip to add control. On the other hand, if a player can not do much else than keep the blade on the way of the ball, ox might be better choise.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2018, 04:27 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
I may try the Detec 0.5 got a couple of others already to try :388d-1 0.5 and 0.8 have big hope for these especially 0.5 version and also 8512 0.5 Def sponge not so big hope, always enjoy these ej experiments

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2018, 06:45 

Just ordered myself a Giant Dragon Talon on .5mm. Will try it on Fibercomp and see what happens.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2018, 08:29 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

nachalnik wrote:
Just ordered myself a Giant Dragon Talon on .5mm. Will try it on Fibercomp and see what happens.
So, how did that trial go then buddy?

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2022, 20:05 

No I don't think it killed the LP ox pushblocking game.

I still use this game to a pretty effective level. The thing is, pushblocking ALONE isn't enough. You need to do something with your other side (most people probably forehand like me) for it to be effective. at least those are my findings. Otherwise it's pretty easy for the opponent to just start serving no-spin or doing very weak loops with little spin so there's not much to reverse, and then they kill the next ball.

If you yourself bring heavy underspin or topspin with your forehand however than you have something to reverse.