OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:12

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2013, 05:22 

Most of the tips/techniques I've received and read advise to serve short and make a double bounce on the table so that the opponent usually has no option but to push or have a weak attack and they cant load up from behind the table. Problem is they usually just push short and I end up just pushing back anyways. I like/prefer to chop so I've been trying to serve nice and long to invite a loop so I can chop. It becomes a bit difficult sometimes depending on opponent skill level when they return really fast or place it just perfectly to be out of reach when i do one step back. Most of the people at my club are attackers or loopers.

1) My main question then is do you suggest serving into their strengths and inviting a return that you have a chance to chop or do you avoid and do a relatively safe serve to avoid a power return.

2) Second question, I have not yet learned how to twiddle as I'm still trying to get comfortable chopping on my FH and BH. I found I have a hard time finding a playing partner to consistently rally topspin into my BH pips . In addition, playing games or practice rallies, most opponents just avoid my BH pips. Any suggestions how I can "tempt' opponents to play shot into my BH? Do I play down the line shot from my FH and would that be a loop or chop or push that would entice them to hit it crosscourt from their BH?

Experimental Blade : Victas Koji Matushista Def : TSP Curl P1r LP .6 sponge : Giant Dragon Submarine Chop

My Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=25085

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2013, 10:20 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
Do you masked your served? If your opponent can read your serve very well and know where it's going to drop, then they can return it safely. Your opponent should be guessing up to the last second where will your serve go. Give more variation. Likewise, give different amount of spin.
You'll have a chance to loop or flat hit if they can't return it safely.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2013, 13:46 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
LDMovies, you ask a very good question!

I have been pondering this myself!

You asked:
Quote:
do a relatively safe serve to avoid a power return?

Against some players, I prefer to create non-pushing rallies, as you had mentioned. So, I really mix up my deep serves a lot
, hitting them all over the table, with some emphasis on serving to their BH or body. Most of us chop better against medium powered shots, and not HIGH powered shots or excellent loops. So, I try to serve more to their weaker looping side, and vary the spin a lot. It is very important to vary where I stand my body when I serve also.

You had also asked:
Quote:
Do I play down the line shot from my FH and would that be a loop or chop or push that would entice them to hit it crosscourt from their BH?

I would say yes! I do this all the time, I happen to play 80% of my shots with my BH, so I place my body so that most of the table is on my BH side. And I do exactly as you say, a lot of down the line or to the BH shots.

Thanks for your question. I don't play at an upper club level, so I play against guys who are not excellent loopers, they are ok, but they can miss loops because of my spin variation.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2013, 14:49 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

learn to chop on your forhand

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2013, 04:25 

glennholder wrote:

I would say yes! I do this all the time, I happen to play 80% of my shots with my BH, so I place my body so that most of the table is on my BH side. And I do exactly as you say, a lot of down the line or to the BH shots.

ACtually its the opposite for me. I find myself chopping 90% of the time on my FH. It's gotten to the point that I anticipate it going to FH so much that my body is turned around and i am NOT able to chop properly on my BH once an occasional BH chop presents itself. Just lazy footwork on my part since Im anticipating to do a FH chop and my body is angled for it with right foot back and placed with my left hip at around the middle line 3-5 ft away.

I'ld prefer to chop on my BH with my pips and place my right hip by middle line instead but playing partners dont like it as we cant get a sustained rally going, and real game players tend to avoid placing it there unless im out of position, which has been a habit lately (fitness issues) .

Hence the question what kind of shot I should make that would tend to invite/force a shot to my backhand so I Can cheat/anticipate and move a bit towards BHY side.

Experimental Blade : Victas Koji Matushista Def : TSP Curl P1r LP .6 sponge : Giant Dragon Submarine Chop

My Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=25085

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2013, 01:51 

If you want a long push or weak attack by your opponent you can try to serve "half-long". This means that the secound bounce of the ball is close to the end of the table. It is difficult to push short on half-long serves but you risk that the other one can attack your serve. If it is a flat backspin serve it is usually a spinny loop which is good for your LP.

To force the opponent attacking to your backhand you can use sidespin that is rotating to the backhand of your opponent (right hander). Normally most players tend to attack cross because it's easier ;-)

Coach at WSA and modern defender.
Racket:
BTY T05 (2,1mm) - BTY Joo Se Hyuk, straight - TSP Curl P4 (1,5)

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2013, 04:40 
Super User

:up:

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2013, 06:47 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Fab wrote:
If you want a long push or weak attack by your opponent you can try to serve "half-long". This means that the secound bounce of the ball is close to the end of the table. It is difficult to push short on half-long serves but you risk that the other one can attack your serve. If it is a flat backspin serve it is usually a spinny loop which is good for your LP.

To force the opponent attacking to your backhand you can use sidespin that is rotating to the backhand of your opponent (right hander). Normally most players tend to attack cross because it's easier ;-)

A great tip Fab! :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2013, 13:04 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
Agree that this is a very great tip from fab. Its hard to attack a serve that barely leave the edge of the table.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2013, 13:15 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r
My opponents hate to deal with my forehand loop in general. I say make your forehand so strong that they go to your pips to avoid it. Also long serves to the backhand breaking into the opponents body can steer the first loop toward your backhand

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2014, 00:28 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Fab wrote:

Does this mean the ball is rotating from left to right from the perspective of the server?

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2015, 23:55 

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Japsican wrote:
Fab wrote:

Does this mean the ball is rotating from left to right from the perspective of the server?

Anyone?

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions