OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 16:18

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2013, 04:23 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
I've been bored and also playing lousy lately, so I've been thinking about adding a new wrinkle to my game. Is it possible to play a chopping game within a few feet of the table? I'm not mobile, but I have a long reach and good reflexes. Just throwing this out there. Is this possible?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2013, 04:35 
The King

Depending on the level you play at I would say yes it's possible. At a certain level you will most likely not be able to chop incoming balls anymore. Against lower ranked/less skilled players this will work for sure. Not being very mobile forces you to a more or less fixed position and probably leave your fh open.

What definitely helps when chopping near the table is taking the ball late and/or even behind your body on fh with an almost stretched arm. This sounds more complicated than it is, but the idea is to hit the ball later without moving backwards. Rotating your body a bit and stretching your arm helps with this.

Put to rest:
Galaxy T10 Bluefire M2 2.0 Palio Ck531a ox
Victas Koji Matsushita Tibhar Genius+Optimium sound MAX * Spinlord Dornenglanz ox
Donic Defplay Senso Tibhar Aurus Sound Black max * Grass D-tecs ox

Check out my quest for my new blade here: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23241
Current standings:
Butterfly Matshushita powerdefence * Joola Chen Weixing * Nittaku KVU * Nittaku Shake defense* Tibhar stratus power defense * Victas Koji Matsushita * Yasaka Sweeper * Win-Tec power defence

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2013, 04:45 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Thanks I generally don't play anyone higher that USATT 2000 and it's a fairly small pool of players so everyone is used to my style. I need to get more underspin on the ball. I'm thinking of trying Pascal Troger-style, who could probably be defined as a close to the table chopper.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2013, 07:16 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
Yes. It can be done to at least 1800 USATT level. Maybe higher. The guy I knew who did it did it with double inverted.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2013, 09:36 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
Very difficult I would say. I can think of one local player who does this reasonably effectively and he has an incredibly slow setup with double anti. He might win 40% of his top division local league games, and grabs the odd scalp. Thing is, as I was taught, the idea of chopping is to take the ball late when the spin has reduced, and that unfortunately doesn't equate to close to the table. To take the ball early you will certainly need a hybrid stroke- sort of a cross between a chop and chop block? I think in the zone you describe it is difficult to send much spin back.

185g

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2013, 10:04 
Hard Justice

There's a guy at the local mosque who I rarely best in a match; he doesn't have a single offensive shot in his arsenal, but plays over the table by making a very quick chop/push that loads the ball with underspin. He's so consistent with it that I can hardly get a point in, and he's fast enough that he can do it to attacks just as well as safe shots. Since he does it with an old premade, I'd venture to say anti would be the closest bet.

He doesn't play in competition, or even at a club, but I'd venture to guess he'd be around 1800 if he did.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2013, 13:00 
Super User

Quote:
Is it possible to be a close to the table chopper?

I think its very possible to be a far away from the table blocker :lol: Everyone says thats what I do...

Chop strokes are usually long swings so up at the table they have to be very short swings so yes for slower balls andwhen the pace picks up you'll end up blocking.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2013, 16:37 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Tried it. Disaster. Gotta figure out something else.

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2013, 18:27 
Blockhead
Blockhead

mynamenotbob wrote:

I'm not surprised. If I understand the tactics you are describing, that is a dangerous no-man's land for defenders. Up at the table you can block and use pace, placement and/or short balls to make life awkward and rob the opponent of time, far away you can generate lots of spin and variation but mid distance is no place for defence, too few weapons (opponent has time and you can't keep it short, or do much with angles or placement) plus you are suffering their attacking strokes at their fastest, while still quick and spinny and having kicked off the bounce.

It is probably a useful exercise once in a while to remind close to the table defenders of the reason why they must hold the table.

185g

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2013, 21:46 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
mynamenotbob wrote:

I am not sure ANY style will work the first time you try it. Its gonna take some time and practice. That said, there is a reason there are very few close to table choppers.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2013, 01:29 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r
I think leatherback encountered a player that used the chopping a few feet off the table tactic. From my memory she used 563ox...

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2013, 01:36 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
so_devo wrote:
It is probably a useful exercise once in a while to remind close to the table defenders of the reason why they must hold the table.

What does this mean?

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2013, 05:57 
Blockhead
Blockhead

LordCope wrote:
so_devo wrote:

What does this mean?

What I mean is that to know the 'right' way to play sometimes you need to go wrong. My best game is holding the table as an attacker/blocker but as an ex-defender I tend to drift away..... Losing those points reminds you why you need to follow your own strategy. If you have good players in your corner they will point it out to you of course.

As I understand it, having seen no vid, Mnnb is a very close to the table player. So, without the benefit of vid, I presume he takes the ball early and robs the opponent of time, gets reversal and dishes out awkward placement. All a valid strategy that robs the opponent of time. I would assume that if he drifted from the table he would lose more points, and perhaps that would remind him or others why they need to follow their own game plan.

185g

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2013, 08:15 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Blade: BBC Doubl Diamond
FH: Prasidha Tokyo Max
BH: RITC 755 OX
MNNB, yes, it is possible to chop a few feet near the table, but you have to use to that condition.
I have been playing with George inside his small office with about 4' to spare behind the table. At first, it was difficult and I kept hitting the back wall, after 2 years now , I have found my combination of blade angle and position. In reality, the stroke is kind of a modified chop-block.

Go for it, but remember that this will take time.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2013, 09:14 
The King

Tried this tonight and as expected it works against lower ranked players. Taking the ball late and low helps a lot but any attack deep on the table should either be blocked or hit with a short quick chop. I will try this again on Wednesday when I play against our top players who are just a bit above my level.

Put to rest:
Galaxy T10 Bluefire M2 2.0 Palio Ck531a ox
Victas Koji Matsushita Tibhar Genius+Optimium sound MAX * Spinlord Dornenglanz ox
Donic Defplay Senso Tibhar Aurus Sound Black max * Grass D-tecs ox

Check out my quest for my new blade here: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23241
Current standings:
Butterfly Matshushita powerdefence * Joola Chen Weixing * Nittaku KVU * Nittaku Shake defense* Tibhar stratus power defense * Victas Koji Matsushita * Yasaka Sweeper * Win-Tec power defence

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!