OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 18:28

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: How to keep chops low?
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2014, 01:33 
Super User

I use a Defplay and Dtex OX....most of the individuals I play are 1700+

I'm playing again after taking a 3/4 month hiatus from TT....right now I'm not playing very well. (Timing is off....etc.)

The upside is that I'm looking at my game with fresh eyes....and although I love moving around the court....I'm questioning whether chopping is the right style of play for me.....(but I digress)

It seems like my chops are too slow....but more frustrating is the fact that I can't keep them down. It's probably not a recent problem....I think it's been a problem all along but I adapted somehow. Now I'm being eaten alive.

What are a few "keys" to keeping chops low(er?)

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2014, 06:22 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei F3 Pro (=TB ALC)
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Hellfire X/Dtecs ox
It might be part of equipments fault, as for me Defplay is quite high throw chopping blade with any ox pips.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2014, 07:30 
Super User

treetop wrote:
I use a Defplay and Dtex OX....most of the individuals I play are 1700+

I'm playing again after taking a 3/4 month hiatus from TT....right now I'm not playing very well. (Timing is off....etc.)

The upside is that I'm looking at my game with fresh eyes....and although I love moving around the court....I'm questioning whether chopping is the right style of play for me.....(but I digress)

It seems like my chops are too slow....but more frustrating is the fact that I can't keep them down. It's probably not a recent problem....I think it's been a problem all along but I adapted somehow. Now I'm being eaten alive.

What are a few "keys" to keeping chops low(er?)

Chop throw like loop throw is mostly a matter of technique, specifically swing speed and angle of attack. It sounds like you're not generating enough contact speed to so you need to chop at more downward angle (or swing faster, which is harder without requisite skill).

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2014, 15:24 
Super User

If you are playing with long pips take the loop drive early and high. This is easier to do with rubbers like Feint Long 3 or Curl P-4-soft sponge very "bendy long pips" My GD Kris Blade with 103 FL3 on the Def side is superb for this-Soft slow wood blade, soft sponge, soft bendy long pips that are grippy....move my feet get in position , take the ball early, rip chop.

Some of this is who your are play though, A person who is doing a lot of slow spinny loop is going to make it very difficult to rip chop the ball-he provides little power, but there is a lot of spin! Tke comfort that trying to smack this ball in for a winner is a losing proposition for your opponent!

Ian

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2015, 12:13 

ez katka question, answer: use lp with sponge (1mm the optimal i think)