OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:07

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2016, 06:47 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
Japsican wrote:
leatherback wrote:
watch your opponent. there is always more room on one side of the table. and if there isn't, push at their backhand, and if they have a crazy good backhand then push at their middle. anything too make them move even a step. more movement is better.

Awesome, thanks. Last night I was extra dilligent in pushing/chopping to where they aren't, and to their elbow. All the while twiddling. This worked brilliantly when I was concentrating, and I was "King of the Table" for just one night. (Stayed at the winners table).
One thing I did while twiddling was that I stopped being too concerned with their ball and letting that determine which side I twiddled to (for the most part) but rather I twiddled randomly, and reacted appropriately to the spin with whatever rubber happened to be up. I think reducing one variable (thinking about where to twiddle to) helped me be more consistent. I suspect I've been making my game too complicated.

Quote:
dont try to win. just try to play a beautiful game. attackers try to win.

Another wonderful pearl of wisdom! I'm going to quote you in my signature (if that's okay) as a reminder. I'll remember this when everyone around me is trying to tell me to attack everything.

I'd be honoured :)

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2016, 16:10 
Master Of Deception
Master Of Deception

For OX - study this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2aFLiHTdsU

Or Pushblocker's videos.

EASY P - http://nexyusa.com/collections/rubber/products/easy-p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6tyNTO7 ... ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0zkq9Ja3E8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dARovqP9tT0#t=64

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2016, 16:28 
Master Of Deception
Master Of Deception

Or this -

Not a highly rated player but there are some good things about his game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i20x_5Wzzp0

EASY P - http://nexyusa.com/collections/rubber/products/easy-p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6tyNTO7 ... ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0zkq9Ja3E8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dARovqP9tT0#t=64

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2016, 03:02 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Lorre wrote:
What do you mean with soft players, Jap? Can you elaborate?

Sorry Lorre, I missed this. By soft players I mean the type that, tend to make low pace returns, or lobs, often without spin. Blockers and pushers with inverted, push blockers with LP. Those types. I lost to a kid that was about 1400-1500 in a tournament, who had a Seemiller style grip. He blocked all topspin shots very lightly and pushed everything else that wasn't topspin, and was very consistent at this taking little to no risk. He was destroyed by a 1700 level looper who played with a lot of pace, and won the U1900 division in the same day. I defeated the 1700 level looper in the round robin prior to that.

Soft low-pace shots just make me super uncomfortable and I make a lot of unforced errors as a chopper. I've been training against this, and making some progress, but the games are still closer than they should be.

Remember, I'm more classic defender than modern defender.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2016, 03:03 

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Bogeyhunter, as a long time user of P-1R and now current user of Easy P both in 1.0mm, can you impart any additional service return wisdom?

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2020, 00:44 

Blade: Victas Koji Offensive
FH: Hurricane 3 neo 2.1 black
BH: Victas P1V 1.5 red
Lorre wrote:
I'm having a very good season this year. I probably will rise two grades this year in my league and I'm starting to beat +-2300 USATT players in training regularly. I even train regularly against a player who plays in the second highest league in the country and I don't have difficulties keeping his topspin balls on the table, be it FH or BH (this guy has an superb touch and superb loops).

In competition I beat everyone who comes in my way (material players, loopers, chiselers...). However, I'm struggling against one kind of player: 3rd ball loopkillers. I'm finding this is a tactic used more and more by young players (+-20 years and younger). I never/rarely encounter this type of game in my age level (+-30) or older players. Not even among the higher graded player I train with.

So, what do they do? They serve (some serve normally, others serve with less spin) and cream the next ball (or wait for a later ball played long with the pips). My returns are low, long and are mostly placed in an inconvenient place (BH, crossover point or far FH). That does not seem to bother them very much. They cream it to a very inconvenient place with their hyperboosted-in-factory rubbers and if the ball comes back, they smack the return (thse balls often still contain a lot of backspin, but are short and high).

Now I'm breaking my head over these kind of players, because if you see their player's card (the card mentioning all wins and defeats of the current season), you see most of them don't even will get a higher grade next season or they'll even receive a lower one. These players are also very keen to win against me, probably because they know I'm doing so well. F****** :swear: ! :D

Anyway, I'm having four solutions to overcome these kind of players. These are:

1) Better placement: probably shorter and sometimes higher when deep to let them miss their loopkill. If they get it on the table, my return must be a lot deeper. Still it's a risky game, because I don't find any place on the table safe for these kind of players and I'm always under great pressure.

2) Learning to push backspin with my P1-R against their no-spin shots or even pushes: now I don't know if this can be done and if it can be done, will it be an effective method to prevent their loopkill? I read Joo uses a thicker sponged P1-R because he has better control in pushing shots (creating more of his own spin?) and I read a review on Noppentest of Fab (great review, btw :up: ) stating you can create moderate backspin on pushes with the thick P1-R.

3) Switching to SPs: these will cover the whole weakness, but this will be a whole new learning curve. I'm also afraid SPs can't create the heavy backspin I'm currently producing and will have (a whole lot?) less control.

4) Quitting the game: Yes, even when having the prospect of rising two levels next season, I don't find this type of TT appealing anymore. I find the current plastic ball makes this type of game a lot easier for that kind of players. With the celluloid ball you had spin to work with and unpleasant ball flights they had to deal with. These two features have diminished a whole lot since the introduction of the plastic ball.

I'm wondering how the pro's dealt with these kind of players (if they ever did). You don't see that kind of game very often, if at all, at the top level. So pro defenders have to have a solution to deal with these kind of stupid games.

Any thoughts? Oh yes, I'm a left-handed defender.

Did you leave the game? Or is your issue gone?

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2020, 01:00 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
PAVEXDPL wrote:

I left the game. I'm playing petanque now. I'm having problems with the same kind of player in that sport too. I don't know what to do anymore. I might just as well stay home and only watch television as a hobby. Wait: I'm doing that! :lol:

I'm not experiencing that problem anymore or at least just in a small degree. It might have to do with the fact that my receive got better or that I didn't encounter these type of players anymore in recent times.

Boy, it feels like an eternity I played TT with the current lock down. My post of four years ago feels like an eternity x 10.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2020, 01:07 

Blade: Victas Koji Offensive
FH: Hurricane 3 neo 2.1 black
BH: Victas P1V 1.5 red
Lorre wrote:
PAVEXDPL wrote:

I left the game. I'm playing petanque now. I'm having problems with the same kind of player in that sport too. I don't know what to do anymore. I might just as well stay home and only watch television as a hobby. Wait: I'm doing that! :lol:

I'm not experiencing that problem anymore or at least just in a small degree. It might have to do with the fact that my receive got better or that I didn't encounter these type of players anymore in recent times.

Boy, it feels like an eternity I played TT with the current lock down. My post of four years ago feels like an eternity x 10.

So you left or not? I presume your 1 part of message was some joke, because later you said the problem is gone.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2020, 03:24 
Joo Too
Joo Too

PAVEXDPL wrote:
So you left or not? I presume your 1 part of message was some joke, because later you said the problem is gone.

No, it was not a joke. It was my cabin fever skyrocketing for a minute or two. Thereafter I went to normal mode again.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2020, 03:18 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Are you allowed to play this Pentaque at the moment Lorre? It's such an obscure game here I don't know what the cops reaction would be if they caught 2 people playing in a socially distanced manner as exercise lol

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2020, 05:03 
Joo Too
Joo Too

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Are you allowed to play this Pentaque at the moment Lorre? It's such an obscure game here I don't know what the cops reaction would be if they caught 2 people playing in a socially distanced manner as exercise lol

That's a really good question. I don't think it is allowed between two strangers in the public space. However, loopholes - like loopkills - can always be found. ;) As long as social distancing occurs I'd be fine with it.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2020, 13:49 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I think it requires iron balls, and is kinda like lawn bowls. I suppose you could take turns to throw your balls, when one person steps up the other can back off 30 feet.. :lol: And you'd have to carry disinfectant in case you pick up the wrong balls. It's probably not that energetic so playing with masks, face shields and gloves shouldn't be too difficult..

Iskandar

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!