OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 09:44

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Chopping Precision
PostPosted: 25 Apr 2018, 23:59 

Hi people,
I usually chop and just hope the ball gets on the table lol.
Do you guys actually aim your chop, like trying to get it deep, or into one part of the table? I know obviously short high chops are bad because people just smash them but do you think about where you want to hit the ball each time you do?

Post subject: Re: Chopping Precision
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2018, 00:48 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Ahem...

Most of us are in the same boat - ball on the table means it's my opponent's turn to get a chance to make a mistake (and yes, they sometimes net these high short chops as well, because backspin and reasons :devil: ).

But yes, I try to get it deep and low in practice, but I still would take the one that landed over the one that missed the table. Also, sometimes high chop that just dies on the end line is just as dangerous compared to fast and low one, because it messes up their timing and throws them off, since now they have to provide forward momentum, ball is outside their usual strike zone etc.

Sometime, especially on the open chop it helps to break the pattern and send it to FH, especially if you always send it to their BH - now they have to move a bit, may be they did not loop heavy backspin from that point yet, and may be their FH is worse, who knows.

But yeah, overall, not a lot of deliberate strategy and pinpoint placement at my level. :rofl:

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2018, 01:30 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Funny you should mention that Pgpg, my high chops were my best ones last night, provided they landed deep. People are just not used to looping at that height and their bat angle gets all wacky. That's what happens to me when I'm on the attacking end for sure.

Personally, when I'm chopping (yes I'm still chopping Pgpg) I aim for low deep chops to the side they are having difficulty with, or to make them move. I'll focus the chops to one side or another (usually the side I think is their weak side). The deeper the ball, the fewer the return angles. The wider the ball, the fewer the return angles. I want to limit angles, to limit the amount of ground I need to cover.

So, try to discern which side they hate looping on, and chop to that side, about 10 to 15" from the edge line of the table, and keep it deep.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2018, 03:09 
Super User

Blade: Joola Xylo 7
FH: Battle 2 National 38
BH: Trick Anti
I think it depends mostly on your speed and technique. Cause if you have the time to control the chop - you'll do it. At least that is what I feel like doing. When I'me ready for the attack(I expect it) then I chop and direct the chop and try to control the spin as I want (not saying it always goes the way I want :lol: ), but when I don't have the time - I just chop it back and trust my reflexes. Of course I hope it won't be an easy ball for the opponent :angel: but I don't have the time to make a decision on where to place the ball and how to do so. Maybe when I become faster I'll have more control.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2018, 04:50 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
v100ev wrote:
I think it depends mostly on your speed and technique. Cause if you have the time to control the chop - you'll do it. At least that is what I feel like doing. When I'me ready for the attack(I expect it) then I chop and direct the chop and try to control the spin as I want (not saying it always goes the way I want :lol: ), but when I don't have the time - I just chop it back and trust my reflexes. Of course I hope it won't be an easy ball for the opponent :angel: but I don't have the time to make a decision on where to place the ball and how to do so. Maybe when I become faster I'll have more control.

Was about to write the same: there are 'normal' chops when you are in control and only have yourself to blame if it misses (actual placement and quality is a matter of skill), 'harried' chops that are 50-50 proposition and both stroke and end results are subpar, and then you have 'desperation' chops where it's really a crapshoot, you were lucky to get paddle to the ball and you are happy if it lands. Somewhere.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2018, 05:14 
Super User

Blade: Donic Defplay Senso
FH: Mark V HPS 2.0
BH: Dtecs OX
Since I switched to Dtecs OX I have a lot more control on where I can put the ball simply because I worry less about my technique being on point.
I can often aim on which side of the line I want but I can also aim for the BH corner. But when I have little time to react it is just chopping the ball hoping it goes on but aiming at centre/BH so you have a lot of distance to get it right lol

My Vlog / Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=32572

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2018, 05:42 

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Agreed, what I wrote assumes no rushing or hurrying.

I will add however that I think right from the beginning of the point, one should be thinking of keeping things "controlled"...meaning, don't give your opponent a chance to put you under pressure and forcing "hurried" chops. Of course it will happen all the time, but the goal should be to avoid it. Pgpg, you recall Bogeyhunter giving us his brutally honest opinions of our games? I think he was talking about this. When we served, we weren't thinking of the long game. Or when we returned serve, why/how/where we return it to should have the purpose of preventing a strong attack or an attack that we aren't expecting. To set up our game.

I remember thinking that it was crazy how different the games are between BH and Der_Echte, and when I played Der_Echte. Granted, BH's level is 2300. But when I play William, his loops are very difficult to return low with good placement. He's really effective against LPs and chopping. But when Der plays BH, he doesn't really get a chance to make those loops. It's not necessarily that BH's technique on chops are so good he can deal with the insane spin (although he can), it's that he doesn't even allow it. When I play Der, I don't think enough about prevention...and at the very least, encouraging easier loops to deal with.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 02:33 
Super User

Blade: Diode V ST
FH: V>22 Max
BH: Curl P1V 1.0
Great discussion here, guys. There are a few things involved when it comes to playing against spinny/fast/aggressive players. Pretty much any classic attacker above 2000. I agree with Japsican that it’s all about prevention, you have to plan your points. Your serve and serve receive are easily the two most overlooked skills one must work on. Once you play at a higher level, things become super tricky. Serve too high? Boom, they power-loop. Receive in the middle? Loop is coming at you and you can’t even touch it. IMHO too many club level choppers only work on “hey, can you loop a few and I’ll chop a few?”

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 02:47 
Super User

Blade: Diode V ST
FH: V>22 Max
BH: Curl P1V 1.0
The other thing that's worth keeping in mind is your "in and out" footwork. This is what gives you time to chop with precision. You need to be away from the table most of the time.

Before I took lessons from a coach who knew a thing or two about chopping, I would play a typical point again and again: they serve, you push back (nice and low .. or not) and they blast a loop past you.. you try to chop but end up kind of blocking, like an attacker would. Point lost.

If you watch any good chopper, I would say 2200 and up, they all can anticipate when to move back vs when to remain at the table. To push a ball, you are supposed to get closer, push, and then move back. If they push again, you do it again. So you constantly go in and out, in and out. Almost no one at lower levels would do this... This is also the reason why the pro choppers are so pleasing to watch. they almost never get caught at the table.

PostPosted: 28 May 2018, 18:24 
Super User

notfound123 wrote:
The other thing that's worth keeping in mind is your "in and out" footwork. This is what gives you time to chop with precision. You need to be away from the table most of the time.

Before I took lessons from a coach who knew a thing or two about chopping, I would play a typical point again and again: they serve, you push back (nice and low .. or not) and they blast a loop past you.. you try to chop but end up kind of blocking, like an attacker would. Point lost.

If you watch any good chopper, I would say 2200 and up, they all can anticipate when to move back vs when to remain at the table. To push a ball, you are supposed to get closer, push, and then move back. If they push again, you do it again. So you constantly go in and out, in and out. Almost no one at lower levels would do this... This is also the reason why the pro choppers are so pleasing to watch. they almost never get caught at the table.

Just browsing through the forums, and found this very valid (Atleast, to me) post... So, I'm reactivating this thread

I tend to play a mix of LP styles - Push(on an away from the table), chop (away from the table), bump, passive block (when close to the table)... The thing I'm trying to figure-out is when to move in, and when to move-out; often getting wrong-footed by my opponents.. Infact, several opponents will put on short (especially on my FH), when I'm away, and then put my return long (quick and off the bounce) onto my BH...

PostPosted: 28 May 2018, 19:23 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Tibhar MX-S 2.0mm
BH: Viper 0.5mm
Japsican wrote:
Funny you should mention that Pgpg, my high chops were my best ones last night, provided they landed deep. People are just not used to looping at that height and their bat angle gets all wacky. That's what happens to me when I'm on the attacking end for sure.

Personally, when I'm chopping (yes I'm still chopping Pgpg) I aim for low deep chops to the side they are having difficulty with, or to make them move. I'll focus the chops to one side or another (usually the side I think is their weak side). The deeper the ball, the fewer the return angles. The wider the ball, the fewer the return angles. I want to limit angles, to limit the amount of ground I need to cover.

So, try to discern which side they hate looping on, and chop to that side, about 10 to 15" from the edge line of the table, and keep it deep.

I've noticed that too. When I'm trying to alter the spin and force an error, I like the "high and heavy, low and light" method. High chops with heavy backspin will typically get netted and the low chops that are floated go long.

Personalized Online Performance Coaching for Table Tennis now available!

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!