OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 13:56

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2018, 09:01 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2018, 10:15 
Super User

She recommends gluesheets, saying "it helps for making more spin when blocking or chopping", mentioning for example Tibhar Film Duo.
She said "divide the rubber by halves", and one of the reviewers of Tibhar Film Duo said "I don't like that this sheet is split in 2". I could guess, but to be sure can anyone who has used that gluesheet tell me what that reviewer meant? Thanks.

More videos by her are here: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=33529

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2018, 15:13 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
I don't like OX with glue sheets, alters my feel, would rather use a softer pips.

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2018, 15:16 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
At about 3.20, she talks about hitting short balls. From what i can see, the person is feeding her pretty much no-spin balls and they're quite high, so they're easy to hit regardless. Against what sort of incoming spin is she suggesting this should be used? Is it against topspin, so you're basically playing a very fast chop-block?

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2018, 08:29 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
At about 3.20, she talks about hitting short balls. From what i can see, the person is feeding her pretty much no-spin balls and they're quite high, so they're easy to hit regardless. Against what sort of incoming spin is she suggesting this should be used? Is it against topspin, so you're basically playing a very fast chop-block?

I think she is saying:
1) when the ball bounces short, don't rush up and hit off the bounce, but wait for it to rise
2) if the ball is no-spin, the paddle should start above the ball (the high position, she said), and because the ball will be directed downward this is just a hit, mostly straight into the ball. One reason the blade is started high is because you're preparing for a bounce. There is some backspin as she hits it, but I think the emphasis is on the preparation. It's just a hit.
3) She said to aim at (just above) the net tape. (I will consider this, as my eyes are usually looking at the other end of the table.) Net tape is a convenient target. Never thought about it.
4) In my opinion the thing she said that was *most* important (to a shakehander), which I didn't understand at first, was this emphasis on holding the paddle upright (with the handle pointed down). The reason is, if this is your habitual motion, a small rotation of the wrist (imperceptible, or at the last instant) can send the ball left or right. (See for example Haruna Fukuoka, with the handle pointed down prominent in her game.)
5) She said that if the ball has backspin on it it is preferable to step around and use the (inverted) forehand, but that if you aren't fast enough it's ok to use the backhand (OX). Then she again suggested waiting for the ball to rise or reach it's peak.
6) Near the end she said that (a no-spin ball?) should be approached with the paddle in front of your body, but a floating ball should be struck by a blade coming from the side of your body. I don't understand that one.

Much of what I said above is based on what she said toward the end. She said: "Once the hitting point is configured in this way it will be difficult for the opponent to predict the course". (How can that be I thought? Because a small rotation of the wrist can send it left or right. That's why she's emphasizing holding the shakehand paddle upright like that. This emphasis on holding the paddle upright was the thing that caught my attention, and this must be the reason for it.)

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2018, 08:44 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Zhaoyang wrote:
haggisv wrote:

I think she is saying:
1) when the ball bounces short, don't rush up and hit off the bounce, but wait for it to rise
2) if the ball is no-spin, the paddle should start above the ball (the high position, she said), and because the ball will be directed downward this is just a hit, mostly straight into the ball. One reason the blade is started high is because you're preparing for a bounce. There is some backspin as she hits it, but I think the emphasis is on the preparation. It's just a hit.
3) She said to aim at (just above) the net tape. (I will consider this, as my eyes are usually looking at the other end of the table.) Net tape is a convenient target. Never thought about it.
4) In my opinion the thing she said that was *most* important (to a shakehander), which I didn't understand at first, was this emphasis on holding the paddle upright (with the handle pointed down). The reason is, if this is your habitual motion, a small rotation of the wrist (imperceptible, or at the last instant) can send the ball left or right. (See for example Haruna Fukuoka, with the handle pointed down prominent in her game.)
5) She said that if the ball has backspin on it it is preferable to step around and use the (inverted) forehand, but that if you aren't fast enough it's ok to use the backhand (OX). Then she again suggested waiting for the ball to rise or reach it's peak.
6) Near the end she said that (a no-spin ball?) should be approached with the paddle in front of your body, but a floating ball should be struck by a blade coming from the side of your body. I don't understand that one.

Much of what I said above is based on what she said toward the end. She said: "Once the hitting point is configured in this way it will be difficult for the opponent to predict the course". (How can that be I thought? Because a small rotation of the wrist can send it left or right. That's why she's emphasizing holding the shakehand paddle upright like that. This emphasis on holding the paddle upright was the thing that caught my attention, and this must be the reason for it.)

Some of translated text is a bit cryptic - I was trying to decipher this whole 'floating ball' advice as well...

Another example of weird translation (not sure if it's in this exact video or another one of hers) - translator brings up 'building the wall', which in the end I interpreted as "lock the wrist" during the stroke. :) Hope I'm right - some input from a TT player fluent in Korean would be helpful here...

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2018, 12:14 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
haggisv wrote:

Dead ball pushes but usually not that high. They try to do that to me on bh long pips, I just do her shot. A topspin ball if high can be done but requires more precision since it is deeper on the table, yes a fast chop block kill.

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2018, 05:10 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Tibhar MX-S 2.0mm
BH: Viper 0.5mm
Thanks for posting! I really wish there were more detailed explanatory videos like this going over pip strokes.

I wonder, do we have a collection of videos like this anywhere? Might be a useful resource for us Dark Siders

The one where Chen Weixing teaches Bogeyhunter the sideswipe comes to mind. That was a good one!

Personalized Online Performance Coaching for Table Tennis now available!

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2018, 05:18 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

pgpg wrote:
Another example of weird translation (not sure if it's in this exact video or another one of hers) - translator brings up 'building the wall', which in the end I interpreted as "lock the wrist" during the stroke. :) Hope I'm right - some input from a TT player fluent in Korean would be helpful here...

After consulting with a native Korean speaker at work (she laughed a bit at the nature of my request, obviously not a TT player :lol: ): 'building a wall' is more of a reference to the angle of the paddle. I guess walls do tend to be vertical, so it makes some sense.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2018, 23:39 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Is her blade mentioned somewhere in any of the videos? She does block loops on BH pretty well (mostly with a vertical paddle, btw), wonder if it's a slowish blade or just great technique.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2018, 00:24 
Super User

Someone said it's a Korbel.
It's most easily seen in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyJrIokC-wI
Looks like a Korbel.

On Youtube the text under those videos says "Nexy Tamar 7", but it isn't, at least not in these videos.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!