OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 17 Apr 2024, 03:17

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2013, 21:32 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

Some may frown at this. Long pips are mostly thought of as a defensive weapon, with low sensitivity to spin and effective for chopping.
However, a good number of us also use them as an attacking weapon. This section is for us. :up:

So what do we want here? I suggest...
  • Questions about whether to change - from other coverings to pips, from defense to attack
  • Questions and tips on technique - "How to handle this", and "this works for me"
  • Questions and tips on equipment - "What can I use", "this is how it may affect your style"
  • Videos - perhaps primarily use the videos subforum, but if there is a video illustrating LP attack, it should fit in here too.
All within the context of an attacking/allround playing style.

List is expandable. Make suggestions in this thread, and we'll discuss it (or promptly include without further ado). Some subjects may be better suited for other areas, but I guess we'll find out as we go.

Note that I have moved the initial responses to this post into new topics. This thread should be mainly to discuss what should be in this section. For "real stuff", start a new thread in the LP Attacking subforum. For the initial posters, feel free to edit the post title (subject) if you are not satisfied with my suggestion :)

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2013, 01:44 

I also interested in this topic about attacking with LP. Just recently (in fact, just 1 week ago) I changed to LP for my BH with intention to attack (after I saw Zhou Xintong on youtube). If someone willing to share and give tips on this forum, I will be gratefull.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2019, 20:07 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
I recently bought a BTY Matsushita Pro blade from a forum member. I put some 729 Bloom Power and a 388D-1 0.5mm on it, just for fun really. However, this weekend I attended a coaching camp with Carl Prean and Hannah Hicks. and was able to get some good tips on using the LP. Actually, difficult to think of better coaching for this.

Thanks to them, I can now make a fist of an attack with the LP, and really hit a very difficult ball. Also tightened up on the chop blocks, but the hitting is much more fun. To be honest, without their help I didn't even think I could hit a strong BH flick with the LP. but by gum it's fun.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2019, 04:03 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
I am playing this style.
After an extended evaluation of both rubber and blade I am convinced the blade is more important than LP rubber. I am using only OX rubber.
The best blade is (IMO) one with some flex. The best I have is sword yokohama yue. It is listed as 5 + 2, but no I have no idea what the +2 is but it is not carbon.
I have 3 of these sword blades. The best is the heaviest (about 90 grams). I have Pimplepark Cluster on one blade, gambler GXL on another and giant dragon cropcircles.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2019, 20:07 

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita
FH: Tenergy 05 1.7
BH: Victas P1V 1.0
Hi folks,

recently I've began using my LP (D'Tecs 1,2) more for attacking strokes. Most problems I've got are not related to technique but to footwork. How do I deal with someone driving/hitting back my fast counter/drive back to my LP? As I have to be near the table to drive the ball, I have huge difficulties controlling the incoming high speed low spin ball. My issues:
- not enough time to back up for a proper chop
- not enough spin/too much speed to chop block
- inverted-like block/counter hit is very likely to miss (mostly it goes long due to inability to impart spin)
- if I twiddle, usually I get the next ball fast to my fh forcing me to twiddle immediatly back. This lowers consistency considerably.

Anybody to suggest some tactics or drills?

That is what I would look for in this thread.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2019, 20:20 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
0x556c69 wrote:
Hi folks,

Anybody to suggest some tactics or drills?

That is what I would look for in this thread.
I apologise for inadvertently reviving this old thread. That being said, what would probably be of most use to you would be some multiball, feeding the type of return ball you describe. I would be tempted to try a BH flick type of action, but I am not at all familiar with the Dtecs. ( I can do the shot with Sanwei 388 D-1 and Meteor 8512, with an improving success rate.)
There is a thread with a video of Carl Prean doing this kind of shot on this forum.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2019, 22:51 

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita
FH: Tenergy 05 1.7
BH: Victas P1V 1.0
darucla wrote:
I apologise for inadvertently reviving this old thread.
Nothing wrong with the odd resurrection...

darucla wrote:
That being said, what would probably be of most use to you would be some multiball, feeding the type of return ball you describe. I would be tempted to try a BH flick type of action

Well, an opening flick is not the problem, I find it quite easy to execute. If I don't exaggerate the speed, consistency is good. But it is not very fast, nor very deceptive and possesses some topspin, so a proficient opponent can always counterdrive, hit or loop. And dealing with this shot poses quite some problems. A flick doesn't work (try flicking a counterloop with inverted...), a drive against drive is difficult because of the lack of topspin (I wonder how He Zhoujia does it :^)).

On top, I'm in a bad position to get into defense, but this is the trade-off when attacking. Better I make sure to score before it comes to that...

As to exercises: Of course I at times do drills where I use the pips for driving and looping as you would a normal inverted rubber. I'm still working on consistency though. Right now I can't use it on a regular basis in matches.

darucla wrote:
but I am not at all familiar with the Dtecs. ( I can do the shot with Sanwei 388 D-1 and Meteor 8512, with improving success rate
Funny that in all TT-related forums when searching for a solution to a problem always the equipment-topic pops up (be assured, I'm no stranger to EJ'ing and do my share of it :angel:). But I am certain that any grippy LP (with sponge) behaves more or less the same.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2019, 02:16 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Ah.. For the old days when you could use black rubber on both sides... Twiddling and serving was a LOT of fun.. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2019, 13:58 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
0x556c69 wrote:
darucla wrote:
I apologise for inadvertently reviving this old thread.
Nothing wrong with the odd resurrection...

darucla wrote:
That being said, what would probably be of most use to you would be some multiball, feeding the type of return ball you describe. I would be tempted to try a BH flick type of action

Well, an opening flick is not the problem, I find it quite easy to execute. If I don't exaggerate the speed, consistency is good. But it is not very fast, nor very deceptive and possesses some topspin, so a proficient opponent can always counterdrive, hit or loop. And dealing with this shot poses quite some problems. A flick doesn't work (try flicking a counterloop with inverted...), a drive against drive is difficult because of the lack of topspin (I wonder how He Zhoujia does it :^)).

On top, I'm in a bad position to get into defense, but this is the trade-off when attacking. Better I make sure to score before it comes to that...

As to exercises: Of course I at times do drills where I use the pips for driving and looping as you would a normal inverted rubber. I'm still working on consistency though. Right now I can't use it on a regular basis in matches.

darucla wrote:
but I am not at all familiar with the Dtecs. ( I can do the shot with Sanwei 388 D-1 and Meteor 8512, with improving success rate
Funny that in all TT-related forums when searching for a solution to a problem always the equipment-topic pops up (be assured, I'm no stranger to EJ'ing and do my share of it :angel:). But I am certain that any grippy LP (with sponge) behaves more or less the same.

To play that style, you need to really commit to it. Meaning your equipment has to be fairly grippy, to counter those balls if you plan to hit. There are some OX attackers, but they do not chop... or very rarely, about as much as a regular inverted player would. They will hit dead balls or light top spin balls to their opponent, but be VERY consistent and place them well.

Zhoujia is using 1.5 sponge last I read, which makes her pips quite grippy and able to spin the ball. Even with a pip like stiga horiztonal or curl p4 in OX, I can counter drive top spin balls.