OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:33

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2015, 23:29 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
There seems to be very little professional information about the skills, tactics and techniques of using short pimples correctly. The OOAK forum had an attempt at pulling some information together:

http://www.pipfacts.info/content/view/16/30/

but that's a project which hasn't been touched for a long time.

It has to be acknowledged that there are a number of different learning styles. Personally I'm a hands on type of learner - I like to do things. If I can't do things, I like to see/visualise what I'm being shown. Reading cold text is something I struggle to take on board. However, everyone is different and others may prefer written explanations which they can dissect and analyse at their leisure.

So, what I want to do is catalogue here a collection of links to examples of professional/qualified coaching resources for short pimples - and I stress short pimples only.

If you know of any articles, videos or instructional technique resources available on the web, books or dvds which are still in print or being sold, please post a link to them below along with a brief review in this suggested format.

Suggested review format:

Suggested structure of review:
- product's name
- brief summary of contents
- how the coaching is done (voice over, video demonstration, diagrams, bulleted technique points)
- how useful you found it to be (negatives and positives)
- your overall opinion - would you recommend it

Please note, I'm not after videos of players who play with short pimples - there's already a section in this forum for that. I am after actual "coaching technique" videos with the emphasis on some coaching in them.

This isn't a competition as to who can write the best reviews either, everyones input and opinion is appreciated. This is about getting together a list of short pimple coaching resources where there's some consistency in how they are reviewed so comparisons between coaching resources can be easily made.

As the resources grow, I'll amend the catalogue format to make it more user friendly, but for now I'll start with these four categories.

Web Videos:

1. Dr Neubauer's demonstration video of his short pimple rubber - Killer. Source YouTube: Length 5.46
No explanation of shots but good if you like to watch how a shot is played and then figure it out for yourself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... h_geb-W-O8

Thanks to mynamenotbob

2. Wang Tao Instructional Video. Source YouTube. Length 2.35
Very comprehensive series of instructions with good camera angles by one of the best shakehand short pimple players ever. Unfortunately for English only speakers there's no English audio or subtitles - maybe just the incentive you need to learn a "foreign" language.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTtPS5gtGMY

Thanks to carbonman

3. 江嘉良教學片 Jiang Jia Liang Instructional video. Source YouTube: Length 51.06
Comprehensive series of instructions and this is one of those rare videos where the player demonstrating the shots is a penholder. Again not in English but combines slow mo, instruction and real match play footage to demonstrate the techniques.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 6ee9TmsEzY

Thanks to carbonman

4. Liu Guoliang Forehand Instructional video concentrating on the FH. Source YouTube: Length 2.36
Short analysis of the forehand for penholder grip. Couple of camera angles - but annoying music. Towards the end of the video you'll get some commentary - not in English. Interestingly they add graphics demonstrating arm and bat angle which is a useful coaching way of comparing techniques in a visual way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... F_foPqglJ8

Thanks to carbonman

5. Dr Neubauer's demonstration video mainly about LP's but there are sections on SP's at 13:58-21:15
and 32:20-33:47. Source YouTube: Length 44:40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... A0Z5L7LkP4

Thanks to mynamenotbob

Web Articles:

1. Penhold shortpip instructional videos here. Source: OOAK forum thread started by brabhamista in 2009.
Rather than pinch the hard work done there, here's the link to that thread. Unfortunately some of the links no longer work, but you'll have the title of the video and should be able to find new links by serving the web for them.
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=6706

Thanks to brabhamista for starting that thread and to those forum members who contributed.

DVD's:

1. "HallMark Table Tennis Ltd's Playing with Pimples": A 50 minute coaching DVD.
Concentrates on the art of playing with pimples featuring Carl Prean but more a promotional video for Hallmark products. Carl Prean demonstrates some shots but never actually describes what he's doing. Available for purchase from here: http://www.hallmarktt.co.uk/e-misc.php

Books:

To help start the ball rolling I'll add my opinion of "HallMark Table Tennis Ltd's Playing with Pimples". a 50 minute coaching DVD on the art of playing with pimples featuring Carl Prean. If anyone has a different opinion of this product please feel free to post it. All opinions are welcome.

Last edited by Debater on 09 May 2015, 21:28, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2015, 23:33 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Short review of Playing with Pimples Featuring Carl Prean - 50 minute DVD on the "art of playing with pimples": Hallmark Table Tennis LTD:

Contents
The DVD is split into 3 sections, short, medium (or half long as they call it) and long pimples. The amount of time for each type of rubber varies - very little time is devoted to "half long" pimples. I'm only going to talk about the short pimple section.

The short pimples section comes first and covers
- forehand drive
- backhand drive
- forehand smash
- forehand block
- backhand flick

How the coaching is done:
Each type of shot is explained by a female voice over reading out a script similar to that given to UKCC level one coaches to explain how to play a shot to a novice. Carl Prean never explains how to play these shots. After that it's just Carl Prean playing the same shot filmed at various angles - sometimes the video of the shots seems to be repeated. Most of the time it's his body above the table which is filmed. Very little to nothing is devoted to footwork.

There is slow motion but it's not true slow motion ie it's not filmed at different frame rates, true slow motion would see him being filmed at frame rates in excess of 200 frame per second. This simply looks like 25fps film slowed down in video editing software so it's not smooth or particularly fluid.

How useful did I find it:

Positives
1. I found the best camera angle they used was behind and to the side of Carl Prean. This demonstrated just how flat and forward - parallel to the table his arm movement was, how far in front of him he made contact and how open his bat was at contact.

2. There was a reasonable amount of footage of him playing each of those shots

3. Being on DVD it's easy enough to control the speed and navigate around the footage so in many respects you can "edit this" product yourself whilst watching it.

Negatives
1. During the video Hallmark were keen to show the difference in ball flight between different thickness sponges and rubber types. Almost as if the priority of the video was to demonstrate and promote their rubbers and what they rubbers could do rather than actually coach how to play the shots. The only time you hear Carl Prean actually talk is to review the differences in Hallmarks products he was using. Carl Prean isn't actually doing any coaching in this DVD.

2. It never covers
- tactics
- serving
- serve return
- blocking with the backhand
- pushing
- attacking backspin
- chopping

or many other aspects of playing with short pimples. So this is not a true complete coaching resource for short pimpled players.

3. The production quality by today's standards is low. Bear in mind this video was made sometime ago and editing software and cameras have advanced massively since this was made.

Overall opinion:

In many respects this whole filming experience seemed to be more a "get Carl Prean down to demonstrate the difference in the rubbers and then give his opinion as to how they performed ie it's first and foremost a Hallmark products promotional video. The coaching side of it seems to have been an after thought - ie we've got footage of him driving, blocking and flicking, lets add some introductory commentary about how the shot should be played and then just let the film run.

If you learn best by watching footage back, this may help you but because it doesn't use true high speed film and the camera angles are limited and Carl Prean never actually explains what he's doing, I'd struggle to actually call this a "coaching video".

As such I can't recommend this as a "true" coaching resource and at a cost of £10 it's not something I could recommend to buy either. You might as well watch videos from YouTube of your favourite short pimple players and slow down and analyse the video yourself. It's a pity. If they had concentrated first and foremost on producing a true coaching video and asked Carl Prean to explain what he was doing and why rather than just film him playing shots and getting his opinion on the differences in Hallmark rubbers he was using, this could have been very good. An opportunity lost.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2015, 23:50 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

I dont know if this falls outside of your criteria but on youtube there are a couple of Wang Tao instructional clips as well as a great Jiang Jialiang one.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2015, 00:54 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

If they are instructional carbonman they fit the bill perfectly.

Have you got links to them and what did you think about them?

Cheers

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2015, 01:38 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Im on my ipad atm so its a bit tricky to cutnpaste. If you type in 'Wang Tao instructional youtube' several clips will come up. If you type 'Jang Jialiang instructional youtube' one will come up. Also, somewhere on youtube there is an excellent clip which compares Jiang Jialiangs fh with that of liu Guoliang. All of these clips are great, even moreso if you understand mandarin. :)

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2015, 14:36 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox

Also there are short pimple techniques on one of Dr. Neubauer's old demonstration videos.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2015, 16:14 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2015, 16:15 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2015, 16:17 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2015, 23:37 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Thanks for the links MNNB and carbonman. I've added them into the top post as part of the index.

I've also included an old thread started by brabhamista which is a good source of videos for SP penholders.

PostPosted: 01 May 2015, 00:09 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox

This video has short pips instruction in English at the following times:

13:58-21:15
32:20-33:47

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics