OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 21:48

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013, 04:55 
Super User

Blade: Appelgren Allplay
FH: Mark V GPS 2.0
BH: Reflectoid 2.0
So, I'm thinking on trying short pips on my forehand but keeping inverted on my backhand, but nearly eeryone I hear about does it the other way: SP on the BH and inverted on the FH. Why? Is there some difficulty with using the SPs on the FH?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013, 10:58 
Super User

THE GAMEr wrote:
So, I'm thinking on trying short pips on my forehand but keeping inverted on my backhand, but nearly eeryone I hear about does it the other way: SP on the BH and inverted on the FH. Why? Is there some difficulty with using the SPs on the FH?

This is true not just with SP but with any non-conventional rubber (antispin, LP etc).
Clearly it is because the strength of inverted rubber is its ability to generate topspin, and the easiest stroke to generate heavy topspin with is the FH loop - so people don't want to lose this capability. Also, people often change their BH rubber to cover up weaknesses in their BH inverted technique. Generally, people have a harder time attacking with BH (which is generally a less intuitive stroke) than with their FH.

Having said that, there is a lot of benefit to doing it the other way around. For one thing, it's really unusual and opponents may take longer to adjust. One of the players in my local division used to be very weak, and then he changed to LP on his FH and now he is one of the best players.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013, 16:35 
Super User

If you are an attacking player then why not. Li Jia Wei and Wu Jia Do both play this way I think...

As PK indicated, it might be a great advantage and also your BH might be your best side for looping.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2013, 03:43 
Super User

Ok, I think I'll give some 802-40 a try. My backhand side is always spinny, because i'm more wristy...my FH is usually more direct.

We'll see!

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2013, 11:55 
Super User

If I were going to do this I would almost buy a Nittaku Tenaly to get the bio-mechanical advantages of this blade. I would go Butterfly Bryce on the BH, and probably TSP Spectol 21 or Spinpips on the FH-and atttack attack attack-LOL.

Ian

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2013, 13:10 
Super User

ian demagi wrote:
If I were going to do this I would almost buy a Nittaku Tenaly to get the bio-mechanical advantages of this blade. I would go Butterfly Bryce on the BH, and probably TSP Spectol 21 or Spinpips on the FH-and atttack attack attack-LOL.

Ian

Unfortunately, college likes my money.... :P

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2013, 13:36 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
GAMEr!

It could be a good experiment.

802-40 is a fantastic rubber!!! So very versatile and accurate. I tried 40 rubbers and it is hands down for me the most accurate rubber I have ever played with. And it also chops and pushes well, but still has enough grip to hit over the table topspin from the FH. Last year I played with 802-40 on the FH and Juic Couga on the BH. (the only reason why I switched, is I went to slower rubbers for a shift to a defensive game.)

I still hit with 802-40 on my second bat.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2013, 05:12 
Super User

THE GAMEr wrote:
ian demagi wrote:

Ian

Unfortunately, college likes my money.... :P

LOL-I can sympathize and empathize! :lol:

Ian

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2013, 05:42 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
I think most of us use something instead on inverted cause our BH stinks :lol: relative to our FH.

One player at my club often will use SP on FH to hit because he says you have to bend your knees more to loop on FH than on BH. As well get older bending those knees does not get any easier!

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2013, 05:49 
Super User

vanjr wrote:
I think most of us use something instead on inverted cause our BH stinks :lol: relative to our FH.

My BH is waaaaay better than my FH. Inverted or LP. and my twiddling game is getting much better because of that. I attack with my BH every chance I can get be it with LP or inverted side. My FH is REALLY weak relative to my BH. I always wondered if putting short pips on it and just hitting everything would better, but I have always decided against it because when I can get my FH looping I find it really gratifying, plus I find the contrast in heavy back spin and heavy topspin to work in my favor.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2013, 06:59 
Super User

Ok. I think I'm going to try to give the short pips a test run. There's one guy at our club who uses them.

Wish me luck! Maybe I'll get to be a short pips player :P (The only would be an anti player, but I honestly don't think it would fit my game :( )

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2013, 10:33 

I have been playing with short pips on the forehand and inverted on the backhand for the last 3 years. Started out as a 2 wing looper, tried short pips both sides, then some long pips. But I have had the most fun with my present combination. I tried all the popular short pips mentioned in the forums, but I kept going back to Winning NP-8, 2.0. because it does everything well. It is inexpensive and very durable. I really like this set up. I play close. Drive and hit with the forehand, and loop with the backhand. If you stick with it, you will find that it is a great combination against a variety of styles.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2013, 13:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

thanks for that post funkVfunk!

I enjoy hearing about SP players, because at the club level, this game is not all about looping. There are so many ways to win points.

I have played a lot of tennis, and there is many more styles and ways to win points in Table Tennis!

I look up Winning NP-8, I found some pics of the sleeve the rubber comes in, but no pics of the rubber. What's it like? Do you have a pic? :lol:

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2013, 07:45 

I think you can find a picture of it on the ITTF website. It appears to be a raw soft pips. It comes in two sponge hardness; soft and attack. The soft feels like 30 degrees, the attack feels like 35 to 37 degrees. I prefer the soft because it has more control close to the table. I buy it from [email protected]. I have known him since the 70's. Great dealer in my opinion. Costs $14.75 per sheet, or 2 for $24.75, as of a few months ago. Orders over $45.00 is free shipping, excluding large items. I play with a soft feel, offensive minus wood blade. Because of the soft sponge, you have to block fast and low loops very close to the table. Medium, low loops can be driven, while slightly higher loops can be hit. Dead balls or any light spin balls can be be hit very hard. It takes some time to master it, but if you have hardbat experience, it doesn't take too long. By the way, I use the NP-8 OX on my hardbat, a Yasaka Sweden Classic, and it plays great.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2013, 08:05 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Thanks for the details funkvfunk.

I will look up the pics if I can find them. I like the soft versions of SP.