OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:45

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: SP pushes
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2015, 13:33 
Super User

G'day all

After playing with LP for over a year, I've changed my BH to SP (specifically Donic Baxster F.1 2.0mm).
Had a hit with it today for the first time and it was fascinating. At first I was thinking of my BH as being a LP rubber but with more inverted characteristics, and it was just a mess! Then I actually just started playing as if I had double inverted and it seemed to work a lot better, especially for BH counter hitting and punching. Occasionally I even got in a few loops when the ball was below net height. Blocking is supposed to be one of the strengths of SP, but I had a lot of trouble. I think it's because blocking is the most instinctive shot so I've still got my LP technique.

My biggest frustration was SP pushes. It seemed like 80% of my pushes either went long or drove straight into the net. Any advice on how I should adapt my BH pushes for SP would be much appreciated!

Thanks
PK

Post subject: Re: SP pushes
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2015, 07:46 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
poor_knight wrote:
G'day all

After playing with LP for over a year, I've changed my BH to SP (specifically Donic Baxster F.1 2.0mm).
Had a hit with it today for the first time and it was fascinating. At first I was thinking of my BH as being a LP rubber but with more inverted characteristics, and it was just a mess! Then I actually just started playing as if I had double inverted and it seemed to work a lot better, especially for BH counter hitting and punching. Occasionally I even got in a few loops when the ball was below net height. Blocking is supposed to be one of the strengths of SP, but I had a lot of trouble. I think it's because blocking is the most instinctive shot so I've still got my LP technique.

My biggest frustration was SP pushes. It seemed like 80% of my pushes either went long or drove straight into the net. Any advice on how I should adapt my BH pushes for SP would be much appreciated!

Thanks
PK

You must use less force and a shorter motion with SP compared so LP. You might need to change your grip (of the bat) as well. When I made that change a few months ago I had the same trouble. But when I tried Spectol it all fell into place. Perhaps you shoud start with a SP less grippier (I have no idea how Baxter is so I might be wrong) and with a thinner sponge (1,5 mm is very good comming from LP). Then practice - a lot. Push with swift and snappy motion, push with no wrist motion to get a no spin push, push like a banana flip but with the bat going at the other direction to get at push or flip that will confuse your opponent with sidespin or even top spin (look at this dude who push-flips many balls to opponents far FH viewtopic.php?f=35&t=27112).

But the most important is to use less force than with LP. At fist... then, when you get the angle rigt, try to push with more power and you will have a killer 8) .

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2015, 09:08 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

Hi. Are you pushing the ball "on the rise". I can't comment on changing from LP tp SP because I don't play LP. For SP, I need to hit the ball soon, and "on the rise".
BTW, have you checked out Wang Tao's videos?

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2015, 12:11 
Super User

Thanks for both your advice!

Def-attack

I will definitely give "less force and shorter motion" a go. Sounds like great advice (and makes sense too). Any advice on racquet face angle? Should I have it more open and try to slide under the ball or more closed and bump the ball more?

Shaolin

Wang Tao is one of my favourite players and now that I've changed to SP I will definitely watch his videos again (and Johnny Huang's).
I think I probably was pushing when the ball was falling. I'll try your suggestion of trying to push off the bounce!

Cheers
PK

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2015, 15:43 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Not sure about angle, I guess it depends on your bat. But rather opend I would guess.

PostPosted: 08 May 2015, 14:11 
Super User

I've been struggling now with SP for almost a month.
It's been frustrating how far my standard has dropped changing from LP.
So far I'd had the basic approach that I should be attacking every ball that comes to my SP side...and that that's the reason for changing to SP in the first place. This has put a lot of pressure on my game and also made me rather predictable. If I do get the attack in and it is fast enough, they just block back to my SP. If it is not fast enough it is usually perfect for them to kill.

I was at a loss...and then I watched this video of Sharad Pandit on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Dx_Vg1empM

the thing that struck me is the importance of the SP push. Sharad has a phenomenal block and a lethal smash/drive, but he seems to really build his game around his push. And his pushes are REALLY effective. They are fast, long, well placed and even someone as strong as Wayne has a hard time attacking them. They really set up the rest of his game. I realise now that before I try to whack everything to my SP for a winner, I need to really work on my SP pushes first and foremost. Main things I can pick out from Sharad's technique is that he definitely hits off the bounce, he has a very open racquet face and it seems to be more of a bump push (hit upishly) rather than a fine brush. Is this a correct reading? Anything else I should be taking away from his technique?

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2016, 19:12 

Blade: Dr.Neuberg BullDo
FH: Leopard 1.8
BH: Acuda Blue P2
I am recent convert from inverted to SP rubber and on my forehand . Have done lots of reading on the technique before I started using SP . Overall I am happy with the transition . I have been able to retain 80% of my game . Things which have become difficult are

1. Less forgiving , if I have the angle wrong while blocking .
2. If I am late on blocking , then difficult to get the ball to return beyond net .
3. Pushing is not as effective , so struggling to receive some basic services on my forehand, rather returning is not a problem , but effective return is what I am trying to figure out .

I have played 4 sessions of an hour each with this rubber , so still have to spend some more hours . But below are my take aways from my sessions so far .

1. Have to be really confident reaching the bounce of the ball , not need to worry about returning the ball in net ....
2. Have to be really quick and focused on picking the line of the ball early in order to reach the bounce of the ball.
3. From better players , need to be expecting returns on fast hits .