OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 17:53

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: Welcome
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013, 16:52 
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!

If the moderator can find a video example of someone engaged in retrieving I'd be very happy. No pressure. Or maybe someone else who thinks they have a good example could post one and then ... let the discussion begin!

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)
Weapon 2: Ross Leidy 'Smokey'; Friendship 729-5s
Club1: Daylesford - since 2010
Club2: Ballarat - since 2011

Blog: A Naked Bear

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013, 17:21 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Blade: Victas Matsushita Off
FH: Tibhar EL-s 1.9
BH: Victas Curl P1V 1.0
Is this retrieving style always with double inverted or is a combination with LP also possible? You can get some really awkward balls when doing a kind of fishing movement or upward blocking movement with long pips away from the table.

Is this style characterized by taking the ball very late and low?

Post subject: Re: Welcome
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013, 18:11 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Oskar wrote:
If the moderator can find a video example of someone engaged in retrieving I'd be very happy. No pressure. Or maybe someone else who thinks they have a good example could post one and then ... let the discussion begin!

Here is the most recent of Mikael Appelgren, but this time agasint defender Wang Xi, so not much retrieving there I guess:

Here is a match ifrom last season in Pingisligan (Sweden's highest league) filmed by my friend:

An old match:

Then we have Michael Maze who had some fun with a couple of chineese players back in 2005 (before Ma Lin showed them what a drop shot is :-) )

Last edited by Def-attack on 27 Sep 2013, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013, 18:15 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Also, doesn't many defenders play a sort of retrieving game from FH, like Chen Wixin, Panagiotis Gionis, Wang Xi, Hou Yingchao, Ruwen Filus, etc?

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013, 19:00 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Pipsy wrote:
Is this retrieving style always with double inverted or is a combination with LP also possible? You can get some really awkward balls when doing a kind of fishing movement or upward blocking movement with long pips away from the table.

Is this style characterized by taking the ball very late and low?

There was this training video where Koji Matsushita instructed Miuchi Kentaro in defensive game (and three other players in offensive game and strategy). And in that video Kentaro also practiced this kind of fishing stroke to maximize side spin effect (I think). Does anyone know where to find it?

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2013, 14:09 
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Quote:
MNNB asked: How far from the table do you play on average?

Hi MNNB,

The faster the opponent hits the ball (also more top spin), the further back I go. I seem to have pretty good spacial awareness, so while I often reach over a barrier I have never actually run into one. I am often halfway back to the back of the court & occasionally as far back as can be done. This doesn't mean that I don't play over the table shots though.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2013, 18:36 

Seems like fishing is a big part of retrieving.

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)
Weapon 2: Ross Leidy 'Smokey'; Friendship 729-5s
Club1: Daylesford - since 2010
Club2: Ballarat - since 2011

Blog: A Naked Bear

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2014, 19:59 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
I've seen this fishing shot mentioned a number of times but I don't actually know what it means. How is the shot performed? Does anyone have a video showing the shot?

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2014, 07:48 

LordCope wrote:
Quote:
I've seen this fishing shot mentioned a number of times but I don't actually know what it means. How is the shot performed? Does anyone have a video showing the shot?

Sorry I don't have a video to show you, but typically it is a lob from fairly far away from the table with top spin to help it go back. Basically it is a way to stay in the point while waiting for the attacker to miss or play a weak shot or for you to put in one with different spin (or no spin :) ), ie hooking the attacker.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2014, 04:24 
Super User

This term Retriever bugs me a bit.
Every table tennis player tries to put every stroke on the table and to retrieve every ball.
This is the point of the game. And to enjoy in the process.
So why calling some players Retrievers?

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2014, 08:04 

Obi-wan wrote
Quote:
...So why calling some players Retrievers?

Because what they do isn't (always) trying to put the ball away. They aren't simply chopping, classic defending or modern defending. They aren't simply blocking. They are making the other player play that extra shot but making it either as tough as possible or lulling them into a false sense of security. Retrieving is quite adaptive (at least mine is). If chopping works, I chop. If blocking works I block. If rolling top spin works, I do that. If fishing works, I fish. People have described my game in a number of ways:
"This isn't table tennis" usually muttered under the breath
"still playing your pernicious game I see"
"not playing the same shot twice" (mind you I do, but unconventionally)

When all someone knows how to do is loop or smash a particular ball, do I try to give them that particular ball? No. I give them something that looks like that particular ball, or I give them anything other than that particular ball. They feel more and more pressure as the ball keeps coming back to them and they become hesitant because they are missing their go to shots.

I remember playing one young guy who could have looped me off the table - and did for the first two games we played. I worked out that if I put the ball into his right hip, spinning in towards the body, it stuffed him up. His older team mate who could see what I was doing tried to give him advice at the end of the third and fourth games, but to no avail, as his B game was playing even more into my strengths. Even so, when he saw the ball coming, supposedly into his hitting zone, he could not or would not change his style and became ever more tentative which made his shots more the poorer Suffice to say I won 3-2, fairly comfortably in the fifth game.

PRW here has played me and seen me play Sharad Pandit (he umpired). He may or may not chime in. His comments are in the 1st 2 pages of my currently neglected blog in the blog section "Retrieving not chopping". Often I am called a chopper but that is not really one of my real strengths.