OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 16:10

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Retriever kit
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2014, 20:06 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
In the welcome thread, a question was asked about retrieving with and inverted/LP combo. Why do you, Mr Moderator, use double inverted? I'm assuming it's because the key to your game is Spain variation on both wings and long Pipps doesn't provide you control because you are captive to the spin your opponent put on the preceding shot.

That said, you have made the point on a number of occasions that retrieving is a mentality and philosophy. So, I guess that's your kit is less of an issue.

Do you have a view on optimal sponge for retrieving? You want maximum feel and control but also the ability to generate anything from lots to no spin. What works best for you?

Great sub forum!

Post subject: Re: Retriever kit
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2014, 07:59 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
I myself use slowish spinny rubber typically at maximum thickness, but this is just me. My rubber journey since 1982 includes:
Cobra 3 star (green so before any different colour rule)
Mark V
Magic Carbon
Friendship RITC Tack speed 2000
Joola Tango
Joola Tango Extreme
Stag ThunderSpin

Currently I use Friendship 729 GeoSpin Tacky (max) on backhand & Yasaka Xtend (2mm) on forehand.

For the majority of that time I have used an old Nittaku carbon blade that I received for being most improved player at my club.

I suppose that it is just what I am used to. As has been stated by the anti EJer on OOAK, it is more a matter of sticking with something and training & playing with that.

I don't think I would do as well with a combination bat for quite a while, although if I were to do so I would keep inverted on the backhand.

Post subject: Re: Retriever kit
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2014, 10:31 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
I think I am partly a retriever, a modern retriever ( not golden ) that is. I prefer soft sponge to my left, I chop, I lob, I counter attack if there is an opportunity. Here are my list of rubbers I have used and currently using

1. Tackiness chop
2. Tackiness drive
3. Mark V
4. Sriver EL
5. Joola Rhyzm soft

And yeah, I try to return everything safely from my backhand trying to wear down my opponent.