OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:27

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2013, 08:50 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I've heard this discussion a few times, and I think the concensus is that a low throw rubber is better for chopping as it's less sensitive to spin and can generate a bit more spin because you can hit it harder without overhitting.

Personally I would always choose a high throw rubber, because I also like to attack with it, and much prefer high throw rubbers for looping.
What is your preference?

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2013, 19:11 

I like a medium throw rubber for modern defense.
I find that when i'm using low throw a often hit the net when counterattacking en with a high throw
the control is my problem.
I like the donic baracuda very much on a joo se hyuk blade.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2013, 17:01 
The Unprogrammable Player

I've tried both types of rubbers for my game and I found out that:

1) Low throw rubbers are best for mostly chopping, blocking and flat hitting (all types of balls). The biggest problem for me was FH looping: typically chopper gets to loop pushed balls, ex. 3rd ball attack, and I had to work really hard to make those shots work. While I could adjust to loop pushes close to the table it was too hard to loop pushes after the chops when moving back and forth all the time.

2) For me high throw rubbers are best for attacking, blocking. Chopping not so much. Don't get me wrong, you can chop back balls with insane amount of spin that no attacker would even dare to loop back, but it is way harder to do than with low throw rubbers. FH chopping requires really fast footwork with rock solid technique. So I usually chop back floaters (those are quite easy) or I just twiddle and chop back with LP.
What I like about high throw rubbers the most is attacking pushes close to the table. I can just close my eyes and swing as hard as I can :D The result is usually a canon ball that i don't even expect to be returned. Counter looping works well also. The best part is that it's fun to mix chopping with attacking.

3) Ross Leidy "White Shadow" / P1R (1,3) / Hexer PS (1,7)

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2013, 18:44 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

That makes perfect sense. I guess a medium throw is a good idea if you want to both chop and attack.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2013, 08:13 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
I think it matters what you do most. The question is low or high throw for chopping-so if you chop extensively I would go low throw. If you prefer to attack go high or medium.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2013, 08:23 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I always prefer high because I like spinny loops on my FH, but I've always struggled chopping on the FH, so I'm wondering how much of this is related to the rubber. :oops: It's always so convenient to blame the rubber. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2013, 03:47 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
haggisv wrote:
I always prefer high because I like spinny loops on my FH, but I've always struggled chopping on the FH, so I'm wondering how much of this is related to the rubber. :oops: It's always so convenient to blame the rubber. :lol: :lol: :lol:

In this case I think you can blame the rubber a fair amount without any embarrassment.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2013, 10:34 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
Low throw rubber all the way! I had only played with high throw inverted rubbers for many years. Then, when I tried my first SP rubber, Friendship 802-40, I was shocked at how easy it was to land a chop. Then I tried 3 other SP rubbers, and Juic Couga (a very low throw inverted), and all of them , including the Couga, show far more consistency and accuracy than the high throw rubbers.

Quite often, chops are played when the chopper is under pressure, you are reaching out quickly to hit your chop against a widely hit attack ball. It is at these moments that low throw rubbers excel! Under pressure, the added accuracy sure comes in handy! I found this to be true for FH and BH.

:Chop:

Last edited by glennholder on 04 Oct 2013, 00:05, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2013, 19:15 
Super User

My best ( FH ) Chops are those where I grab the ball almost on floor level. Therefore I prefer high-medium throw rubbers. With them it is with my limited technique better to counter attack, as well ! E.g. balls played back passively from the Attacker, because he couldn't continue to loop.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2013, 23:10 

Is there a list around ranking inverted rubbers as high, medium, or low throw? I'm on the hunt for a good classical defense rubber. Thanks!

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2013, 02:24 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
gaijinjoe wrote:
Is there a list around ranking inverted rubbers as high, medium, or low throw? I'm on the hunt for a good classical defense rubber. Thanks!

I think the tabletennisdb site has some (possibly spurious) ratings for throw.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2013, 09:24 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

LordCope wrote:
I think the tabletennisdb site has some (possibly spurious) ratings for throw.

I think that's because a lot of people that list their reviews there have no idea of what throw is.

PostPosted: 03 May 2014, 08:21 
Super User

My opinion is about the same as Justas.

I personally use a high throw rubber (vega pro) because i need its high spin in every shot (cutting, serves, chopping, looping...) and it suits me better when attacking every type of ball. A high throw rubber can really get maximum spin, but i think a low throw is quite easier to be consistent with and the flying path is way flatter than with high throw rubbers. My personal attempt is to create maximum spin with inverted and then return it with pimples (i aim to chop loaded balls on fh with pimples and fast low spin ones with inverted or counterlooping them), but if your game is more about consistency and variation then a low throw rubber may suit you better.

Best HT rubbers for choppers i found are:
Vega pro, Baracuda, JP 01, TGY 05

Best LT:
Genius, Yanus DF, Victas v01, Omega IV

Then there are some rubbers in the middle, i mean pretty good spin softer rubbers with medium/high throw:
M3, JP03, tgy 80fx

BH: Grass D.Tecs 1.5 (black)